Ebay is sinking

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Results last night and ebay stock is down 13% and falling

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/ebay

"EBay Inc's shares plunged 13 percent on Thursday, after a disappointing holiday-quarter performance and a weak forecast suggested that overwhelming competition from Amazon.com Inc was gutting the one-time Wall Street favorite"

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ebay-results-research-idUSKCN0V61LV

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Ebay is sinking

Which affects eBay itself not a bit, unless they plan to put another stock offering on the market.

The stocks which go up and down on the market? EBay sold those years ago and have been using the money to capitalize the firm.

The stocks are now in the hands of people who will buy and sell them as if they were worth something.

EBay doesn't pay dividends.

So it is not a good stock to buy if you want an income from your investment.

This would be a good time to buy eBay stock with the idea that you will sell it when it goes up again.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

Chicago School of Economics has zero to do with Wall street. The share price has nothing to do with the public. Pretty much nothing to do with anything. The share price is an internal play thing with eBay.

Stock market as a whole is down 11-12% from it's peak. So what. There are economists who believe that many shares are over-valued, too much money chasing too few investment opportunities.

Go back to your Business Math university courses and use the financial ratios. Leverage, liquidity, profitability ratios.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Chicago School of Economics has zero to do with Wall street. The share price has nothing to do with the public. Pretty much nothing to do with anything. The share price is an internal play thing with eBay.

Stock market as a whole is down 11-12% from it's peak. So what. There are economists who believe that many shares are over-valued, too much money chasing too few investment opportunities.

Go back to your Business Math university courses and use the financial ratios. Leverage, liquidity, profitability ratios.

"EBay Inc's shares plunged 13 percent on Thursday, after a disappointing holiday-quarter performance and a weak forecast suggested that overwhelming competition from Amazon.com Inc was gutting the one-time Wall Street favorite"

You missed the point Mr.Elmwood.  Shares plunged because eBay's holiday-quarter performance was disappointing.

I know that your are very happy with your sales and considering your investment, its probably okay, but people with greater investment are not happy with a few thousand dollars turn-around.  I know you keep saying that people need to sell what they know and I know my product and also that my Christian Dior, Swarovski, Burberrys are all top brands with stores in every major city around the world and the demand for these products keeps their doors open.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

It looks just as bad for a lot of online stores retailers eBay isn't really sinking because of competition if the other market cap (competition) is sinking with it . Just a bad time for a lot of stocks and a good time for few.

this is amazon's after hour stock after release earnings as of me posting it's -79$ , 12.4 %  https://www.google.ca/#q=amazon+stock

https://www.google.ca/#q=LITB+stock

https://www.google.ca/#q=alibaba+stock

@ that Reuters story , I always read stories about the stock market most of the time it's speculation and people guessing the obvious . Easy to say it's because of Amazon.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

The stock market is down ... overall.

My investments are down... not because of eBay... but in part ... the drop in oil price.

Just ask yourself ... What is the price of gas?

Answer ... way down.. to about 70 cents a litre... Our high in Winnipeg was close to $1.45 a litre...

------------------------------------

In 2008  the stock market went down dramatically... all because of the US Mortgage ..."mess"

Things go wrong  and everyone pays.....

That is when one makes adjustments in one's investment portfolio.

And then... The US-Canadian exchange rate....  same thing happened in 2008

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

I think the thing that will impact us is what actions they take to try to correct things.

The high-on-ups compensation AKA bonuses etc are very likely tied to profits AKA share prices which is usually short term thinking.

This will probably prompt some quick changes to try to "turnaround things". (for those that read an earlier thread where I spoke about the turnaround from idea of change to implementation takes a couple years for large companies). Implementing "quick" changes will mean things like little or no communication, possible unanticipated problems or impacts, priority for problems like the "shopping cart issue" falling relative to the turnaround plan, unless of course they decide the shopping cart issue is part of the turnaround plan!

It will be interesting to see what happens, probably a bumpy ride. Having said this it is not an eBay only problem, I sell on other sites who are going through their own problems (some are a lot worse than what we're experiencing here!).

As Cumos likes to say one has to evolve as necessary to survive on ebay (AKA online).

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

@tobysh-tzu wrote:

Meanwhile similar price drops over at amazon...

Jan 28 - Amazon's Shares Plunge on Lackluster Earnings

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/amazon-s-shares-plunge-lackluster-earnings-report-n506181

Just the stockmarket churning away.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

Off-topic:

Whenever I see this topic title in the forum topics, I think it says "ebay is stinking", lol. Even now after reading the title many times browsing the Sell Central forum, that is what comes to mind.

Anyone else read it as stinking instead of sinking?

I am just curious if it is just me as to how far my dislike of eBay has been tainted by all the poor policies and changes that affect sellers over the past 7 years that I only think negatively about eBay.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

I took a 'marketing' course once. The boss had been persuaded that it would be useful to our retail store sellers.

It was oriented instead to selling 'intangibles' like stocks.

Among the points that stuck with me was the importance of having your customers (for intangibles, remember) constantly buy and sell. Not because it does them any good.

But because the salesman/broker gets a commission on every transaction.

Which is called "churning".

The other point I retained was more useful.

People turn to the right when they enter a store, so put high profit items there.(Or stuff you really want to get shut of.)

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I took a 'marketing' course once. The boss had been persuaded that it would be useful to our retail store sellers.

It was oriented instead to selling 'intangibles' like stocks.

Among the points that stuck with me was the importance of having your customers (for intangibles, remember) constantly buy and sell. Not because it does them any good.

But because the salesman/broker gets a commission on every transaction.

Which is called "churning".

People turn to the right when they enter a store, so put high profit items there.(Or stuff you really want to get shut of.)

I heard that same thing many years ago and often think about it when entering a store...and turn to the left....just a bit of rebellion coming from a normally non-rebellious person!  Just something that once and awhile I HAVE to do.Cat Wink

eBay is stinking.  I am beginning to feel like making a left turn here...and then another.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

"People turn to the right when they enter a store"

???

Maybe, maybe not.

If we shop at Walmart in Napanee we always turn right (that is where the food section is).  If we shop at Walmart in Belleville we always turn left (that is where the food section is).

I hope you did not pay too much for that marketing course. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Good information!

The way they would have concluded that was via an experiment.

They would have set up a situation where the left and right sides were identical.

That way no external influences would decide which way the subject turned.

It sounds like they found that in a controlled environment, there is a statistical significance between the number of times subjects turn right or turn left.

It does not mean that people will turn right every time.

It does suggest that. all things being equal, people are more likely to turn right than left.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

Ebay is sinking

In the Walmart stores I visit ...  it is straight ahead.. 

No left.... No right.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Something that I haven't seen anyone comment on.

Ebay has a huge deferred tax debt that is looming not too far off in the future and will have to be paid or defaulted on, no middle ground. Ebay needs strong investment of all types if they are going to cover that when it comes due.

Plunging stock prices erodes investor confidence and it has a formidable "trickle down" effect. So those saying that it has no effect on Ebay itself as an online marketplace are not only not correct, you are looking at it in only the most superficial sense.

Ask yourself this. Who is the biggest investor currently in the online marketplace portion of Ebay? the answer is the Chinese. Anyone happen to notice the panic going on in China currently because of the plunging US stock market?

What would happen to Ebay if tomorrow the Chinese govt decided that Ebay is no longer a viable investment and they were not going to subsidize shipping and or set up sellers to mass sell their garbage products. You do realize that the majority of these Chinese sellers are just fronts for the faceless Chinese govt right? Some huge manufacturers are of course the exception but even those are hugely influenced by their govt. No one would buy from the Chinese govt if that was the seller of record for all of these Chinese goods.

So don't be so quick to write off the stock market and its effect here.

Cheers,

thD

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Ebay is sinking