Ebay removed my items, reinstated them and then removed them again after I relisted them!

ecgt
Community Member

I am writing this to share my frustration. Two days ago, eBay removed three of my items, claiming that they were listed in the wrong category. The items in question were complete video games with their strategy guides. The items were listed in the video game section, but eBay's message claims that they should be listed in the Strategy Guide section. This is wrong: The status quo on eBay is that games with guides are sold in the Video Game section and that guides alone are listed in the Strategy Guide section. If you search the website you will find that all sellers do this.

After receiving the go-ahead from eBay, I wake up this morning to find that the same items (and a fourth item) have been removed again for the same policy violation. I am really getting sick of having to deal with eBay's inability to handle its affairs, given the massive site problems of late that have hurt sales. The worst part about unnecessary policy violations is that they affect one's status in Best Match.

I am curious as to whether or not any other game sellers have encountered the same problem in the past few days with supposedly miscategorized items being removed. For everyone else, let this be a lesson in eBay's inability to protect sellers from their own mistakes. The following three messages are what I have received since I started having to deal with this.

Message 1:

Hello ecgt,

After reviewing your eBay account, it appears that you have violated eBay's Miscategorized Items policy. As a result, we've taken the following action on your account:
- Violating listings have been removed. A list of removed items is available further down in this email.
- We have credited all associated fees except for the final value fee for your listing(s).

Listing an item in an inappropriate category is not allowed.

Many buyers narrow their search to a specific category. Including items that do not belong in a particular category makes search results less helpful and can result in fewer purchases. It also confuses buyers who may be unclear about what is actually being offered. This can lead to buyers filing claims.

Please select a category that is an exact match for the item you are selling, so that buyers can find what they are looking for. A good guideline is that if a category exists that fits your item more closely, then it should be listed there.

To learn more about our search and browse manipulation policy, go to:
http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/search-manipulation.html 

You used this category in your listing "Video Games & Consoles > Video Games ". 
Here is a more appropriate category for your listing "Video Games & Consoles > Strategy Guides & Cheats". 
Please be advised that sellers aren't permitted to list items in categories that don't represent the item they're selling, which includes listing an item outside an appropriate category. Items need to be listed in the most suitable category available. eBay is committed in providing buyers an enjoyable search experience and a hassle free buying experience each time, everytime. 
You may relist your item provided that you use the category that eBay suggested for your item. 
Remember our main goal is to make the community filled with best sellers whose intentions are not only to sell but also give their buyers a positive buying experience for possible repeat transactions and at the same time build a safe trading environment for everyone.

If you have any concerns or questions, click "Customer Support" at the top of most eBay pages.

Please be sure your future listings follow these guidelines. If they don't, they may be removed, and you may be subject to a range of other actions, including restrictions of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.

Here are the listings that were removed:
151416222953 - Phantom Brave: Special Edition Playstation 2 PS2 & Doublejump Strategy Guide
151416222965 - Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel PS2 New with Brady Strategy Guide
161426909456 - Heimdall Sega CD Complete with Official Strategy Guide

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

Message 2:

Hello ecgt,

We have restored the following listing:
161426909456 - Heimdall Sega CD Complete with Official Strategy Guide
151416222965 - Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel PS2 New with Brady Strategy Guide
151416222953 - Phantom Brave: Special Edition Playstation 2 PS2 & Doublejump Strategy Guide

It now appears as an ended item.

To relist your item, click the "Relist" link in the listing. The listing will restart automatically. 

If there were any bidders for your item, we emailed them to let them know the listing for Item number 161426909456 - Heimdall Sega CD Complete with Official Strategy Guide
was removed in error. We've also explained how they can find your item again if you relist it.

We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Thanks,

eBay 

Please don't reply to this message. It was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email.

Message 3:

Hello ecgt,

After reviewing your eBay account, it appears that you have violated eBay's Miscategorized Items policy. As a result, we've taken the following action on your account:
- Violating listings have been removed. A list of removed items is available further down in this email.
- We have credited all associated fees except for the final value fee for your listing(s).

Listing an item in an inappropriate category is not allowed.

Many buyers narrow their search to a specific category. Including items that do not belong in a particular category makes search results less helpful and can result in fewer purchases. It also confuses buyers who may be unclear about what is actually being offered. This can lead to buyers filing claims.

Please select a category that is an exact match for the item you are selling, so that buyers can find what they are looking for. A good guideline is that if a category exists that fits your item more closely, then it should be listed there.

To learn more about our search and browse manipulation policy, go to:
http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/search-manipulation.html 

You used this category in your listing "Video Games & Consoles > Video Games ". 
Here is a more appropriate category for your listing "?Video Games & Consoles > Strategy Guides & Cheats ". 
Please be advised that sellers aren't permitted to list items in categories that don't represent the item they're selling, which includes listing an item outside an appropriate category. Items need to be listed in the most suitable category available. eBay is committed in providing buyers an enjoyable search experience and a hassle free buying experience each time, everytime. 
You may relist your item provided that you use the category that eBay suggested for your item. 
Remember our main goal is to make the community filled with best sellers whose intentions are not only to sell but also give their buyers a positive buying experience for possible repeat transactions and at the same time build a safe trading environment for everyone.

If you have any concerns or questions, click "Customer Support" at the top of most eBay pages.

Please be sure your current and future listings follow these guidelines. If they don't, they could be removed, and your selling privileges may be restricted.

Here are the listings we're concerned about:
151417601847 - Heimdall Sega CD Complete with Official Strategy Guide
151417601903 - Phantom Brave: Special Edition Playstation 2 PS2 & Doublejump Strategy Guide
161428492079 - Pokemon Ranger Nintendo DS Complete with Nintendo Power Strategy Guide
161428512880 - Fullmetal Alchemist and the Broken Angel PS2 New with Brady Strategy Guide

We appreciate your understanding.

Thanks,

eBay

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ebay removed my items, reinstated them and then removed them again after I relisted them!

There's nothing wrong with the way they were listed and there is no rule that they can't be listed together.  The bots obviously are confused.

OP,  You might have gotten some policy violations for these which could be a problem if you get more violations later on. If you can make it to one of the weekly board sessions with the reps on Wednesday you should explain the situation to them. If not, you can email them instead.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Then why don't you list it like it is supposed to be listed? The games under video games and the strategy guides under that category?
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

The issue is that this is not where the items are supposed to be listed. All games that include strategy guides are listed in the "Video Games" section, while all strategy guides (without games) are listed in the "Strategy Guide" section. There are thousands of listings like this and this has been the status quo for years. Check it out for yourself.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I looked and I am a little baffled. There are games listed with strategy guide, listed as Ecgt did.

First rule of re-listing is to never re-list based on the say-so of a Peggy. They either lie or have no idea what you are talking about.

It is like there is something else at play here and I do not know what it is. Is it "possible" you are getting reported by someone? Someone with an axe to grind?

Listings are taken down, basically, for one of two reasons. One is they are reported. Two is the bots have picked up on something. If you are not being reported, unlikely, then the bots are picking up n something. Have you changed your title style or words? If not, then the bots have been changed and are now picking up something you have always been saying.

The latter seems more likely.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

There's nothing wrong with the way they were listed and there is no rule that they can't be listed together.  The bots obviously are confused.

OP,  You might have gotten some policy violations for these which could be a problem if you get more violations later on. If you can make it to one of the weekly board sessions with the reps on Wednesday you should explain the situation to them. If not, you can email them instead.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for this suggestion. It is a good one and I will try to contact the reps on Wednesday. These removals have most likely led to policy violations being added to my account, so that is definitely a worry.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

I suspect that the bots are most likely picking up on something. If this is the case, the issue is likely happening to other sellers. If anyone else is having this problem please let me know.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Well, Ecgt, normally when we see these kinds of posts we can immediately see what has been done wrong. I can't see it.

What ever you do, do not re-list as you have done. Peggy lies. I know this is a stunning surprise.  Until you get something in writing, do not re-list the same as you have been doing.

Invest some time in talking until you are blue in the face. Rule #1 is to stay friendly and polite. Be armed with listing numbers of active listings that are both games and guides.

I always ask the same question, phrased five different ways. When the answer stays consistent, the question is clearly understood. Asking the exact same question, over and over, will not work. Re-phrase.

Write down first names and ask for a ticket number.

Keep in mind that they keep track of who calls and how often. I have my suspicions they also rate the calls based on the pleasant-mean scale. What you said last time can affect the service you get next time.

I was retail management for a long time. The best customer I ever had was a very nice lady who said "As a customer, what did I do wrong?". Best knock me back question I ever heard. My response was "You did nothing wrong. Would you like your money back or a replacement product?".

She has a return on what was essentially a non-returnable product. She was sweet, pleasant, polite. I have gone up against the worst of the worst and some sweet lady beats me.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

You are correct: I am well aware that eBay customer service reps lie to get sellers off the phone. I did not relist the items until I received a message from eBay saying that it was okay to do so and apologizing for the mistake (see Message 2 in my initial post). I will not relist the items again without receiving the go-ahead to do so from eBay and I have serious reservations about doing so, as the policy violations have lowered my placement in Best Match dramatically compared to a few days ago. I was under the impression that this second message was sufficient. Do you have something else in mind when you say that I should "get it in writing"?

Your suggestions about dealing with customer service are also bang on. I have also been suspicious about how they rate sellers' calls, but have no way to substantiate any of my suspicions. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

ecgt
Community Member

I just want to mention that I called eBay again this morning. At first, I talked to someone who had no idea what I was talking about, but she eventually agreed that eBay was in error. After some persuasion, I talked to a "supervisor" who admitted that this problem is the result of eBay bots getting confused by the listings. Supposedly, they are going to file an appeal and escalate this issue to try to solve the problem. As per usual, they refused to let me speak to someone who may be able to solve the problem now. I am not going to hold my breath, as this could have been a tactic to get me off the phone. I am waiting for them to send me an email verifying that the appeal is in process, but will be surprised if I receive it. They both told me that even though I am in the right, that I will have to now wait 72 hours for the process to be completed. I am not in a rush to relist these items if they will only be taken down again and I am to get hit with more policy violations.

To give you a sense of how serious eBay's mistake is, I have gone from being near the top of Best Match to the bottom since Friday and have not made a single sale since then.

As I do not trust eBay's phone support team at all, I am hopeful that the people who run the weekly board sessions will be able to help in a more concrete way.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

"I am hopeful that the people who run the weekly board sessions will be able to help in a more concrete way."

Reading the posts today on the Weekly Board Hour, it appears that the problem has finally been understood and fixed by staffers at eBay.ca.

Good Luck.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I would not do it without an email with names, phone numbers, etc. "Because Raphael said so"?  Isn't that exactly why the OP is in this mess, because an eBay employee "said so"?

Said so. You can take that to the bank like a post dated, out of province, foreign currency, third party cheque.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

It seems that everything has been resolved. The items have been relisted now for 48 hours without any issue and our listings are now back to normal in best match.

The issue was never about a CS saying that it was okay to go ahead: I received an email message from eBay saying that the items were okay to relist before ever doing so (see my original post). At this point it seems that having someone on the weekly boards (Raphael) look into the issue made a real difference insofar as he was able to actually do something about it, unlike the poor excuse for CS that we all receive when calling in. I have printed off his statement about it (as found on the boards) for future reference. This way I will have something to work with if the problem occurs again in the future.

Thank you to both pierrelebel and mr.elmwood for your suggestions and for taking an interest in this matter.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply