Ever noticed that you get groups of buyers from one specific area?

In September all my sales were 50% international and 50% US, nothing from Canada.  It's like I didn't exist.

In October, (34 sales) I would say it is 40% US and 40% Canada and 10% international.  The light in Canada was flickering.

This month so far, (44 sales) I would say 60% Canada, 35% US and 5% international.  The light in Canada is flickering, especially in Ontario. 

Over the weekend, I have 5 sales and they are all to people in Ontario.  Its like my light was on in Ontario and that's it. 

Do you find that your sales have sort of a pattern?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Yes!  I also noticed that its the items I have listed in eBay.ca are the ones that don't have any lookers and I am constantly revising or relisting them.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Yes, I notice that quite a bit. I'm never sure if its coincidence or for another reason but it can seem quite bizarre at times. I don't normally get a lot of buyers in the maritime provinces but I've had 4 in the past few days.

As far as U.S. / Canada....I have noticed that in the last few months my Canadian sales exceed my U.S. and international sales.  But at one time the majority of my sales were to the U.S.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The lights must really be off in Canada.  I never get more than 1 or 2 sales a month from Canadians, and sometimes none.  With Global Shipping and high shipping rates from USA plus duties & handling from the post office, you would  think that Canadian sellers would have an advantage  over USA sellers when it comes to  Canadian buyers.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The strangest ones I've seen were two sales in the same week from Lichtenstein. Different cities. Different products.

Never had another sales there before or since.

This was maybe eight years ago, so it has been going on a long long time.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I assume from your post that you list on both .ca and .com. Do you find sales better on one than the other, do you notice a difference?
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I only list on .COM. For a very long time I have noticed groupings. Normally I ship Mon/Wed/Friday. Forever and a day it seems like on Monday it will be mostly USA, Wednesday mostly International, Friday mostly Canadian. Certainly not consistently in order, nor consistently exaggerated toward one (I'm assuming this is because about half of my sales are repeat customers). My presumption is that the "great cassini" favors our items in various venues at various (random) times to create the greatest variety for customers. I've long believed that if ebay showed the customer the same items every time they searched they'd quit looking so I believe there is at least some "randomizing" in cassini that happens - could very well be regionally based too. Certainly it has been quite noticeable in the sales in my (stamps) world for a long time.....I'm just glad these days that there are any lumps, I don't care where they are from!
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

How about people with the same first name buying on the same day...

How about 3 people with the last name ... Smith  ...  buying on the same day.

Before we jump on any pattern... we should look at where people live....  Population distribution....

But I did get nine international sales from about July 25 to September 25.... usually about one maybe two a month.

Sometimes there is a local trigger..... a local happening that creates a buying frenzy

There are many things happening... which if we studied more intensively...  the many patterns could be explainable  without attributing the situation to eBay Voodoo.

But then none of us knows what eBay is doing.... generalities  ...Yes ...  but specifics... No

--------------------------------------------------------------

and then something like.

It was a while ago that I did a few searches on eBay.com  and found out that the search report was leaving out certain categories  in the left navigation column.

For me a search for Winnipeg Jets... resulting in no books showing in the search.....  same for many other NHL teams...

Had to do a search in books to get a result for Winnipeg Jets in books.

Lasted for about two months...  Everything is showing today.

-----------------------------------------------------------

If I look for my listings on eBay... I see them...  Someone else on their computer  sees something totally different...

and ...Sometimes I have seen my listings reported in an unusual manner... shown but not quite as expected...

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:
I assume from your post that you list on both .ca and .com. Do you find sales better on one than the other, do you notice a difference?

Yes, I do.  It seems that all the listings I revise and relist for lack of attention/sales are on eBay.ca.  eBay.com also has a picture editor whereas eBay.ca does not.

I started with listings on eBay.com, then it became more convenient to list on eBay.ca, now it seems eBay.com is better.  I will change over to eBay.com, I just need some time to do it.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply