Expedited parcel USA weight

I haven't printed any expedited parcel labels since last year... so, I just printed one this morning for a big order.

I can't remember exactly what dimensions I entered... it should be something like 35 x 25 x 5cm, with a weight of 0.749kg. The shipping total comes down to $18.53 to somewhere in US. I was always under the impression that the expedited parcel weight class breaks down by 750g, 1kg, 1.5kg, 2kg...etc, if I'm wrong please feel free to correct me.

So here is the question: after I printed the label, it says the gross weight is 0.792kg. If I remember correctly, whenever I printed these labels last year, the weight on that top right corner always says the weight I inputted. I'm guessing the 0.792kg is the actual volumetric weight...? 

So even though when I printed my label I put 0.749kg, does it mean I can actually ship up to 0.792kg with the same shipping cost? Would it cause any shipping issues if I decide to add more padding to the parcel, keeping it the same dimensions and under 0.792kg?

Thanks all 😃

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EP Canada starts at 0.75 kg, then 1 kg, 1.5 kg and so on in 0.5 kg increments.

EP USA starts at 0.5 kg, then 1 kg, 1.5 kg and so on in 0.5 kg increments.

Since the break point is not 0.75 kg for EP USA, then you are being charged the 1 kg weight.

Based on the dimension 35 x 25 x 5 cm, the formula for VW is

VW = 35 x 25 x 5 / 5000 = 0.875 kg

so you should be okay to add padding in the same box.

Please note that the VW for domestic parcels within Canada is L x W x H / 6000 and to the USA and International the VW is L x W x H / 5000. CP was using 6000 for USA and International up til a year or so ago and changed to 5000 (like what most courier companies use) and in effect made an increase in shipping costs by making the VW override the actual weight more often.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

EP Canada starts at 0.75 kg, then 1 kg, 1.5 kg and so on in 0.5 kg increments.

EP USA starts at 0.5 kg, then 1 kg, 1.5 kg and so on in 0.5 kg increments.

Since the break point is not 0.75 kg for EP USA, then you are being charged the 1 kg weight.

Based on the dimension 35 x 25 x 5 cm, the formula for VW is

VW = 35 x 25 x 5 / 5000 = 0.875 kg

so you should be okay to add padding in the same box.

Please note that the VW for domestic parcels within Canada is L x W x H / 6000 and to the USA and International the VW is L x W x H / 5000. CP was using 6000 for USA and International up til a year or so ago and changed to 5000 (like what most courier companies use) and in effect made an increase in shipping costs by making the VW override the actual weight more often.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Thanks poco. I don't know why I thought 750g and 1000g were different price break point! I just tried with Paypal again to make a new shipping label with the same dimensions and .999kg and it's still $18.53! I wonder why I didn't try doing 0.999kg last night *smacks face*... I already mailed the parcel because it's a Friday. Definitely need to keep this in mind for next time.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

In reply to Zee Chen ,

Just a friendly  reminder ! That after  August 31 st. [VOLUMETRIC WEIGHT } should not be applied to Canada Post customers with 

Solutions Small Business cards, Etc.,

Ron.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Ron, Do you have more information about that? I don't remember hearing about it.

Paypal shipping is a business service so I wonder if that will apply there as well?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

From Canada Post website:

A density factor of 6,000 (when measuring in cm) or 166 (when measuring in inches) is applicable to items shipped using Expedited Parcel or Regular Parcel. For Priority, Xpresspost, and all U.S. and International services (excluding Tracked Packet and Small Packet), use a density factor of 5,000 (when measuring in cm) or 139 (when measuring in inches). Using these density factors reflects Canada Post's experience that an item of these densities will weigh approximately one kilogram.

Example 1:

An item measuring 100 cm x 60 cm x 20 cm with an actual weight of 8 kg. Based on the parcel's dimensions, its volume is 120,000 cubic centimetres. If it were shipped using Xpresspost service, a density factor of 5,000 would apply resulting in a volumetric equivalent of actual weight of 24.0.

Because the volumetric equivalent of actual weight of 24 is greater than the actual weight of 8 kg, the correct shipping charge is based on volumetric equivalent of 24.

Example 2:

An item measuring 100 cm x 60 cm x 20 cm with an actual weight of 26 kg. Based on the parcel's dimensions, its volume is 120,000 cubic centimetres. If it were shipped using Regular Parcel service, a density factor of 6,000 would apply resulting in a volumetric equivalent of actual weight of 20.0.

Because the actual weight is greater than the volumetric equivalent of actual weight, the correct shipping charge is based on actual weight of 26 kg.

Volumetric equivalent of actual weight is not a unit of measure or a mass or a volume. It is a tool developed from long industry experience of typical parcel densities that allows more accurate pricing of an item given its weight and the space it occupies in a truck or an airplane.

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGabcmail-e.asp#1378832  

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/custguide_amend8_en.pdf

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I understand how it works but I don't see anything about it changing on Aug 31st.  Perhaps I'm just missing that part?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

In reply to PJ.

Due to the Lee Valley ,Class action action case against Canada Post .

Ron.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I recall it being discussed however I've never seen anything official that specified that date or that volumetric rate would definitely be removed. Have you seen an official announcement about it?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

PJ,

I wouldn't get your hopes up (that is, if you have any). I fear Ron is dreaming in Technicolor. The chances of CP ever reducing any rate are zilch. Just yesterday they announced a $31m loss for Q2. Not that a "profit" would have made any difference, mind you.

Tom

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I should stop posting online after 1am in the morning. Please disregard this accidental revival of my own zombie thread. I was looking something up and poco's answer from last year was good as new.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply