Fedex & eBaY's new shipping program

Just received and email today from eBay about their new shipping program with FEDEX.

eBay Canadian sellers can now ship via FEDEX and save up to 65% off their published rates. What is not spelled out in the information that eBay and FedEx is providing is all of the EXTRA fee's that FEDEX charges on top of their regular rates.

So before you go rushing to sign-up take the time to read and inform yourself about ALL THE EXTRA FEES you will be charged.

Example: A residential address delivery (95% of eBay sales are to Residential Addresses) will incurs an EXTRA $2 per item fee and god forbid if the residential address is outside of the city center then the fee jumps to $5.00 or more and even as high as $25.

So factor in that every box you ship will have an extra $2.00 minimum added to the bill.

Also, for Canadian sellers especially important is the US CUSTOMS / DUTY FEES part. If you ship an item with a value over $200 then FedEx will automatically charge your buyer a brokerage fee on top of the shipping fee. This brokerage fee is in addition to Disbursement costs, and admin fee. Now, if you Buyer refuses to pay these costs then FEDEX will automatically bill it back to you the shipper. This is written into their agreement which you must agree to when signing up.

Also as an eBay seller you need to know this in advance because it can expose you to potentially be out a lot of money.

Take the time a visit the FedEx website and inform yourself before jumping in with both feet.

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Forgot to add this link that explains all the EXTRA COSTS

http://www.fedex.com/ca_english/rates/downloads/addcharges_express.pdf

Regards

TIm @ FTL

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

@futuretech_liquidations wrote:

Just received and email today from eBay about their new shipping program with FEDEX.

eBay Canadian sellers can now ship via FEDEX and save up to 65% off their published rates. What is not spelled out in the information that eBay and FedEx is providing is all of the EXTRA fee's that FEDEX charges on top of their regular rates.

So before you go rushing to sign-up take the time to read and inform yourself about ALL THE EXTRA FEES you will be charged.

Example: A residential address delivery (95% of eBay sales are to Residential Addresses) will incurs an EXTRA $2 per item fee and god forbid if the residential address is outside of the city center then the fee jumps to $5.00 or more and even as high as $25.

So factor in that every box you ship will have an extra $2.00 minimum added to the bill.

Also, for Canadian sellers especially important is the US CUSTOMS / DUTY FEES part. If you ship an item with a value over $200 then FedEx will automatically charge your buyer a brokerage fee on top of the shipping fee. This brokerage fee is in addition to Disbursement costs, and admin fee. Now, if you Buyer refuses to pay these costs then FEDEX will automatically bill it back to you the shipper. This is written into their agreement which you must agree to when signing up.

Also as an eBay seller you need to know this in advance because it can expose you to potentially be out a lot of money.

Take the time a visit the FedEx website and inform yourself before jumping in with both feet.

Hah! Funny, I was having a good laugh about this myself wondering how much of a kick-back Ebay must be getting to try and hose sellers into using FedEx.

Not only is there no real savings to be had for sellers you run the very real risk of hitting your buyers with fees on the other end.

Not to mention, you have to cart your stuff off to a FedEx location or wait around all day for them to come pick your stuff up. Yes you have to take your stuff to the Post Office as well but there are plenty more PO's around making the odds much better that you have one within walking distance in most cities. There isn't a FedEx anywhere even remotely within walking distance of me and I am in North Central Toronto for crying out loud!

Yet another lame program introduced by the brain surgeons at Ebay.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have to be careful as not to upset our buyers with additional unexpected charges that the buyers have to pay.

Although what eBay offers with fantastic discounts and offers, they are way too much unexpected additional charge for the buyers which we don't want to ding them with, overall it is not a fantastic offers and discounts.  Just a tricky offer by eBay.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

If somebody did a little studying then there would not be any unexpected charges!

I don't use FedEx very often, it's just not appropriate for what I do. That said sometimes it is and for others that might be more frequently. Getting any kind of discount over and above the counter rates is a good thing if you are only an occasional user.

The way some people here are talking about FedEx one might think that all of the hundreds of thousands of companies who use FedEx every day must be idiots.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@recped wrote:

The way some people here are talking about FedEx one might think that all of the hundreds of thousands of companies who use FedEx every day must be idiots.

FedEx is fine so long as you don't cross any international borders. That's where the problems start. if you are shipping within Canada then they will be a reasonably priced service with all the discounts. If you're shipping to the USA then getr eady for problems.

I don't use Canada Post because I have a great love for them. I use them because I have done my research and they are still the least expensive option and there are never any "hidden" fees.

thD

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

" If you're shipping to the USA then get ready for problems."

Why, specifically?

Over the years I have used Fed-Ex from time to time for American customers and never seen a delay or problem.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

FedEx is fine so long as you don't cross any international borders. That's where the problems start. if you are shipping within Canada then they will be a reasonably priced service with all the discounts. If you're shipping to the USA then getr eady for problems.

When I've used FedEx Ground to the USA (for over $200 value) I have always calculated the customs fees in advance, collected it from the buyer in advance and had FedEx bill me for these charges. No surprises, no delays for anyone if you do it right.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Yes, our customers will get added duty fees. As for my experience with Fedex, if i'm not at home they drop off to another location which is about 35km from where i live. And those business hours are like mine so basically i can't pick it up.

Canada Post works very well, no way ever i will change.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for all the replies and comments. My purposes here was to educate and inform sellers about what potential charges they may incur when using Fedex.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply