Fee not refunded for cancelation

I had a sale and payment tonight, and an immediate request to cancel, which I did. I checked my Paypal account and saw that the 50 cent fee was not refunded. This doesn't seem fair, the buyer didn't even say why they wanted to cancel, I didn't think I would be charged anything. Is this usual?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Per the PayPal website there is a refund fee:

Refund Fee: Fixed fee portion of the original transaction fee (for example, the refund fee is $0.30 for domestic payments) or 0.30USD for USA 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Do you mean the .30 transaction fee?  Paypal stopped refunding that at least 2 or 3 years ago...perhaps even longer.  For the rest of their fee., the percentage part.....that  should be refunded as part of the buyers refund.  For example, if the total transaction was $10 and the PP fee was .29 (+ .30)   $9.71 would come out of your account and PP would refund the rest of the amount....29.

Does that help?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The total fee was 80c US, the refund given was 30 c, but the 50c US was not, that is 67 cents Can. I know it's not much, but I thought that as I had done nothing wrong, (don't even know why the buyer canceled with a couple minutes of purchase) I should have to pay 67 cents for nothing! I wondered if I should have refunded the amount less the 50 cents USD.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The PayPal transaction (fixed) fee has never been refunded, not under any circumstances.

Retention of the transaction fee is standard in the payments business.

The fixed fee is 30 cents for payments received in CA or US Dollars.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@triber wrote:

The total fee was 80c US, the refund given was 30 c, but the 50c US was not, that is 67 cents Can. I know it's not much, but I thought that as I had done nothing wrong, (don't even know why the buyer canceled with a couple minutes of purchase) I should have to pay 67 cents for nothing! I wondered if I should have refunded the amount less the 50 cents USD.

That doesn't sound right because you should have been refunded .50 and PayPal kept .30. They do keep the .30 regardless and no, you can't really charge the buyer that amount.

If the transaction was 13.59 and buyer was In the US the If you refunded 13.59 it should look something like this

total refunded 13.59

fee reversal.  -.50

total paid by you -  13.09

So 13.09should  have come out of your account.  You would have originally received 12.79 so you are out .30

If that isn't what happened you'll have to phone PayPal.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The PayPal transaction (fixed) fee has never been refunded, not under any circumstances.

Thats true that it is not refunded now but I am sure that a few years ago it was always  refunded when a full refund was made.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

True, it was 2010 or maybe 09 they started keeping the .30

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Thats true that it is not refunded now but I am sure that a few years ago it was always  refunded when a full refund was made.

Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement
Effective Date: Aug 10, 2010

... If you refund a Purchase Payment, we will retain the Fixed Fee portion of the Purchase Payment Fee. The buyer’s Account will be credited with the full Purchase Payment amount and the Fixed Fee portion of the Purchase Payment Fee will be deducted from your Account in addition to the amount of the refunded payment. ...

Message 9 of 9
latest reply