Feedback. Is there a way to (gently) encourage it....?

I know from reading previous threads that the general consensus among more experienced sellers than I is that when it comes to feedback from buyers, no news is good news. That being said, as a seller, I do find it somewhat discouraging to not receive it. And, again, I know from previous discussions that many sellers find it to be irrelevant but I do think a buyer takes those numbers into consideration when contemplating a purchase from one seller versus another for a similar product. (And I think ebay also probably considers it into their best match results.)

Given these beliefs, I already leave personalized feedback for each and every buyer (no exceptions) immediately on shipment. I include a handwritten note with each order on the packing slip asking that a buyer leave feedback for me if they are satisfied, and to contact me if they are not so that I may assist them in correcting whatever might be the matter.

Generally speaking, my feedback as a seller is quite good (knock on wood) and I do try very hard to exceed expectations for product and service on each order that leaves my desk. Problems rarely arise and when they do, I jump right on finding and/or proffering a suitable solution.

What else can I do? Of the last 160 transactions, 100 went with our feedback in return. Meaning I receive feedback from only about 38 per cent of people. Is this normal? Or is it in part because of the number of new buyers and/or international buyers I serve? I'm starting to feel like the ugly chick at the sock hop. 

Or should I get over it? I'm very reluctant to pester a buyer by reminding them to leave feedback when ebay already does that. I'm absolutely certain it would backfire. 

Am I allowed to offer incentive? Like, a percentage off their next order comes to mind unless that would be considered solicitation and/or extortion. Can I offer a discount for someone to 'follow' me? Why can't I give people coupon codes to encourage repeat business? (I think I will bring that up at a future Board Hour.) 

Please, let me know what the collective wisdom is on this topic and more. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

"let me know what the collective wisdom is on this topic "

Reality is that there is no "collective wisdom on this topic".

Different sellers have different opinions for a variety of reasons, including the type of items they sell, the customers they sell to, their own business experience, etc....

There is no right and wrong on this subject.... just opinions and experiences.

Personally, an invoice (receipt) is sent with the item(s) for every transaction.  On the invoice, the buyer will find this message:

One minute of your time, please. It is important.
Great care is taken to provide all my customers with "five star"
service for all aspects of every transaction. If you agree that the
quality of the service provided deserves a "five star" rating,
please take a minute to post your positive feedback on eBay.
Your feedback and "five star" rating on all aspects of this 
transaction are important to me as they eventually reflect lower
fees charged by eBay resulting in my ability to maintain lower
prices for you. Thank you.    

Other than this note on the invoice, I think it would have been inappropriate to ask for feedback

Over the years, I have always left positive feedback for buyers upon receipt of payment, no exception.  That is over 106,000 feedback.  Worldwide buyers have reciprocated 81.7% of the time (over 86,800).  Now this high ratio may be the result of the type of items I sell (postage stamps for collectors) and the buyers (average age 66).

A few sellers have indicated that buyers are less inclined to leave feedback today for sellers as they were years ago.  That is not my experience.  The ratio of 80% to 85% has been constant over the years and remains today.

Other sellers will have different experiences.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Yes, get over it.

No good can come from seeking feedback.

It is nice when a buyer sounds happy and leaves pleasant feedback but at the same time they can also

trash your DSR's.

I go with the mantra - no news is good news  - and don't for goodness sake offer incentives in exchange for feedback.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

"let me know what the collective wisdom is on this topic "

Reality is that there is no "collective wisdom on this topic".

Different sellers have different opinions for a variety of reasons, including the type of items they sell, the customers they sell to, their own business experience, etc....

There is no right and wrong on this subject.... just opinions and experiences.

Personally, an invoice (receipt) is sent with the item(s) for every transaction.  On the invoice, the buyer will find this message:

One minute of your time, please. It is important.
Great care is taken to provide all my customers with "five star"
service for all aspects of every transaction. If you agree that the
quality of the service provided deserves a "five star" rating,
please take a minute to post your positive feedback on eBay.
Your feedback and "five star" rating on all aspects of this 
transaction are important to me as they eventually reflect lower
fees charged by eBay resulting in my ability to maintain lower
prices for you. Thank you.    

Other than this note on the invoice, I think it would have been inappropriate to ask for feedback

Over the years, I have always left positive feedback for buyers upon receipt of payment, no exception.  That is over 106,000 feedback.  Worldwide buyers have reciprocated 81.7% of the time (over 86,800).  Now this high ratio may be the result of the type of items I sell (postage stamps for collectors) and the buyers (average age 66).

A few sellers have indicated that buyers are less inclined to leave feedback today for sellers as they were years ago.  That is not my experience.  The ratio of 80% to 85% has been constant over the years and remains today.

Other sellers will have different experiences.

Good Luck.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I do think a buyer takes those numbers into consideration when contemplating a purchase from one seller versus another for a similar product.

For every buyer who will choose a seller with huge piles of feedback there is another buyer that would prefer to give a low(ish) feedback seller the business.

Do you really think it will make any difference to buyers if a seller has say 945 feedback instead of 1187 feedback?

You appear to getting about 75% feedback, that's not bad at all.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You're already doing everything you can and should to encourage buyers to leave FB.  Don't do more, especially not "incentives" or follow-up reminders by email (eBay already does that automatically, by the way). Believe me, buyers are getting nudged enough about FB.  As I always say, chase after FB and you may get the FB you don't want. 

I've been on eBay since 2001, when it seemed almost everybody, buyer and seller, left FB, almost all the time.  However, it became a bit of a mud-slinging insult fest at times.  Some of it was pretty nasty and I imagine bad PR for eBay as well.  As a result, eBay placed limits on sellers' ability to leave FB , and there seems to have been a general drop in FB% from buyers since then.  The advent of mobile purchasing seems to also have had an effect. 

There are many theories on why FB has dropped off -- take your pick.  Maybe sellers are partly to blame for not leaving FB all the time (many now feel it's irrelevant), and so buyers get in the habit of not leaving FB either.  Perhaps the novelty has just worn off, or perhaps people just can't be bothered coming back to leave FB, especially if they're making mobile purchases.  

My personal theory is that FB is generation and category-driven.  That is, those who sell to the mainly over-50 crowd, or to adults who are more likely to take the time to read and to write, and are not buying items on the fly using cell phones, may be somewhat luckier where FB is concerned.  Most of my customers tend to fall into the "reader" demographic, yet even my FB ratio has dropped quite significantly when compared with 3 years ago or earlier, when it used to be pretty close to 100%.  

People (like Pierre) who are dealing with an even older demographic (many of whom may be retired and have lots of time to be thorough) and/or a demographic that is careful and thoughtful about purchases, may experience a higher FB percentage than someone selling primarily to 30-year olds with hectic lives, 3 kids, working full time and buying everything via cell phone.  I also have to say, sadly, that common courtesy seems to be less fashionable and requisite these days than it was to my generation (the over-50's).  Don't force it or you may get lambasted instead of complimented. 

In short, be happy with the FB you do get, and know that most of us are experiencing the same thing, to one extent or another.  Another site I sell on shows a seller's total sales prominently but separately from the completely voluntary customer "reviews", which I much prefer.  However, I doubt eBay will ever adopt that model. 

By the way, even if Best Match uses FB score as one criterion, remember the adage that "a rising tide raises all boats" -- well, it works the other way around too! 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I'm not really complaining about no feedback. I had a buyer who came back and buy for the 4th time last month, and she only left a positive feedback the first time (last Autumn). If she's coming back to buy from me again, obviously she's happy about what she bought from me, right?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You appear to getting about 75% feedback, that's not bad at all.

It appears I have more feedback than I really do as a seller because I use(d) the same account to sell as I did to buy. I think I will have to accept that this is just the way it is and move on.

Thank you everyone for the insight you have shared. I appreciate it. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I can see why you're getting angsty though. You probably can't wait till you get to the next star level (1000) right? Smiley Wink I probably would feel like that too when I get to 450-something... which probably will take a few more years if I haven't given up on selling on eBay by then...

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Kind of yes. I see others'  feedback number rising and I know how much business I do but the mark remains unchanged. It's much more impressive to me, as a buyer, to see a seller has 100 per cent positive feedback on a star with 12,345 transactions than 100 per cent on only 123.

Know what I mean? It's like the latter might be pure luck but the former means someone is doing their best always

Message 9 of 9
latest reply