First time seller from Canada and need help/advice

Hi there, this is my first time selling a few items and I need to figuere out the entire process. I am selling a few expensive items and dont want to be scammed so I am just looking for tips in general. Also I have no knowledge in terms of shipping rates, parcel size, and refund processes so any advice would be dearly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Going by your feedback received and left, you will be selling items of interest to young males?

This is a difficult demographic, and one rife with fraud.

First, be careful when you are writing your descriptions. Poor grammar and spelling are a signal to scammers that the seller is either careless or poorly educated. Use spellcheck and don't use textspeak or other cutesy slang. That's for chatting with your friends not selling expensive items.

Describe as if you have no pictures. Picture as if you have no description.

Write your listing on a desktop or laptop, but check it on a mobile. Much less information appears on the mobile and yet many of your potential buyers will be shopping with one.

You have 80 keystrokes free in your title, which is your best (and free) advertising. Did I mention that titles are free?

Put your brand/size/colour first in the title-- this is part of the 'mobile' shopping question.

Sell what you know; Know what you sell. I'd be an idiot to try selling hiphop CDs or fancy sneakers. You probably shouldn't try selling lace tablecloths.

But also: know what you don't know. Owning a mobile phone doesn't mean you understand the problems with retailing mobile phones.

I would advise only selling to Canada and the USA.

I would suggest selling in US dollars, because Canadians (and the rest of the world) understand US dollars, and Americans , the largest economy in the world, understand nothing else.

The default Sell Your Item form only gives Canadian dollars- look for the Advanced form in the dropdown menu.

Shipping is a huge question.

On expensive items, I would suggest using Free Shipping.

Don't panic.

Free shipping means you include the cost of shipping and handling in the asking price for the item.

Which is cheapest:

A $20 item with $50 shipping?

A $50 item with $20 shipping?

A $70 item with Free Shipping?

This calls for a little number crunching if your items are bulky enough to require parcel rates. These are dimensional and regional, which means that the postage varies according to the size, weight, and destination of the parcel.

Play around here for a while.

https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/pages/parcelscon/default.page?gclid=Cj0KEQjwrdetBRCJg92s44SB77IBEiQ...

If you decide not to use Free Shipping, use Calculated Shipping so that your customer sees the amount of shipping to his doorstep when he is shopping. (If he looks. BDR- Buyers Don't Read).

Again, KISS-  many of your customers (if I have guessed right about the demographic) are using mobile phones and are impulse buyers. Make it easy for them to buy with no surprises.

And.

This is important.

When your buyer pays, Paypal will hold his cleared payment for 21 days against your good customer service. Nothing personal, this is a Buyer Protection policy that is applied to all new sellers.

There will also be limits on the number and the value of items you can list, for the same reasons.

Nonetheless.

You are required to ship within seven days, to keep your Seller Protections in place.

A small bonus, if you buy Paypal shipping labels you get a discount from PO counter prices on many services of 5% to 18%. And this payment is taken from the Held funds.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

100% what the lovely and demure Miss Femme said.

Plus? I would start with a few less valuable trinkets. To get used to the procedure, paperwork, packaging, printing mailing labels, going to the PO, etc.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

With no idea what you are going to sell/ship its impossible for anyone to give you any usefull advice other then "it depends", and ready the ebay and paypal help sections, read canadapost site, and look at similar items listed on ebay

Many people over they years have started "im new" threads with non specific open ended non spefic questions like that.  Few to none manged to sell much of anything and stick around

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Research, research, research!!!!!

Research your items - what price have they been selling for - new?  used? how many sold?  how many unsold/  how many available for sale?  are your items suitable for mail order?

Research the ebay "how to sell"   learning aids.

Research the Canada Post website especially look for low weight, thin light package rates.

Pay attention to what the other posters have said - good advice.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Thank you for the in-depth reply!! 🙂
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I have some searching to do if that's the case. I'm not sure if I have anything of interest to sell that is of low level value.
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I want to sell some music gear. A midi keyboard (Novation Nocturn 49) and a production studio (Native Instruments Maschine Studio). The keyboard was originally bought for about 350 and the maschine studio was around 1100.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

With all due respect, I think your nuts to sell anything expensive here - with all the scams, Ebay and Paypal refund the buyer policies and whatnot........

Why play Russian roulette with your expensive products?

And remember the golden rule; 

NEVER SELL ANYTHING YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO LOOSE!

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

For something like the keyboard, if you live somewhere where there is any chance you could sell it locally that would be the better option.  It will be expensive to ship, with that and the fees here you could sell it locally for less and still end up with more.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2015

The problem with zombie threads is that the information may be out of date or incorrect.

For example, it is no longer possible to list in US dollars on eBay.CA.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 12 of 12
latest reply