Comments about the Global Shipping Program

Feel free to share your thoughts about the Global Shipping Program here. 

A few questions to get the ball rolling:

• What has worked well for you with the Global Shipping Program?
  • Any ideas to help improve the experience for Canadian buyers?
  • What has deterred you from buying items offered using the Global Shipping Program?
  • How have you managed to search for items outside the program?

Please try & keep the comments constructive 🙂

If you have any questions about the program, please post them here.

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 6,171
latest reply
6,170 REPLIES 6,170

GSP

"eBay is expanding it to more countries and finds it profitable for sellers."

Profitable for someone...

If Canadian buyers are avoiding it like the plague, how are the sellers gaining more by using it?

Sure, more US sellers are offering goods to Canadian buyers. But if the Canadian buyers find it too expensive, they will avoid 1) US sellers that just started selling to Canada and 2) US sellers previously selling to Canada through non-GSP system that converted to GSP.

Now sure how sellers find the program profitable. Or did I read that wrong?

Message 3861 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

"did not say shipping was $30 and theres no way to see it until you try to pay."

I agree.  The PB fee should be more clear.  When item price is below the $20 Cdn threshold, that $4-$5 is hidden.  That is just plain wrong.

Message 3862 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

" that $4-$5 is hidden.  That is just plain wrong."

Everyone here agrees with you.

eBay has been made very aware of that fact.  Yet, they will not change the way it is done.

As stated, Canadians should avoid purchasing low priced items offered through GSP.  It is that simple.

GSP was NOT designed with Canadian buyers in mind.  Sellers could, if they wanted to, exempt Canada from GSP.  However it seems most do not take the time to understand their options.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/shipping-globally.html

Message 3863 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

"Now sure how sellers find the program profitable"

To understand the profitability, you have to forget you are Canadian for a moment.

One of the largest challenge facing eBay (an American public company) in its goal to increase international trade was the unwillingness of many American sellers from selling outside their borders.  They saw too many risks.

We all know many have been shipping to Canada for years without problem.  The new program was not meant for them.

On the other hand, we also know that Canadian buyers have been asking the same questions for years: "why don't American sellers agree to ship to Canada?" That same question was asked by many Europeans wishing to purchase goods offered by American sellers not offering to ship overseas.

So the program (GSP) was created to allow American sellers to sell overseas while shipping domestically.  All the risks involved in international trade (shipping delays, knowledge of Customs rules, etc...) were removed from them and the ability to sell overseas came at no cost to them. Foreign buyers would pay the extra fees and shipping charges involved.

So yes, it is more profitable for many American sellers as they now sell goods to foreign buyers, a market they did not service previously.

Unfortunately, nobody at eBay considered Canadians at the time.  We already imported from the USA.  We have knowledge and expertize on the subject.  We know how to deal with currency. Etc... Most of the problem we currently see could have been avoided IF eBay had allowed sellers to exempt Canada from the program at the beginning.

Water under the bridge.

Message 3864 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

This problem has been answered in the other thread.

Message 3865 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

We don't pay duty on items being shipped to us from another country if vintage or used .. Am sure there is a cap on that but i don't order big priced items. . Of course we pay gst on all items BOUGHT in Canada. As i said before .. I have ordered over 300 vintage/used items and NEVER been charged duty. I think we are talking about two different things .. Gst is NOT the same as duty.
Message 3866 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

The problem is NOT "duty".

As stated earlier, it is consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST). applicable equally to both new and used "whatever".

When you see "import charges" by Pitney Bowes, they include duty (if applicable), consumption taxes (GST/HST/PST)(In Europe they charge VAT) and a "service charge" generally around $4/$5.

Unfortunately, "duty" may be calculated on many items when they should be considered "duty free".  Pitney Bowes has been blaming sellers for not correctly addressing the 'country of manufacture" issue for the problem.

Message 3867 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

Sellers from Canada don't have much of an issue with the Global Shipping program, so it's no skin of their "knee". It's the buyers that this program have stifled. Not only are they confused, but many times cannot track their items until they reach Canada. Yes I quite agree that if sellers could give options for buyers to use this shipping plan or just ship direct to the customer, many more US sales would pick up.

This GSP has certainly deterred my spending. I usually ask the Seller if they would opt out and ship it to me direct. Some agree, but most don't. But looking on the bright side, my pocketbook is smiling!! Thanks Ebay for making me spend less, Woman Wink

Message 3868 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

" it is more profitable for many American sellers as they now sell goods to foreign buyers, a market they did not service previously."

I don't think it's a slam dunk by any means. Maybe ebay plans to keep it for good, but I suspect there will be fewer Canadian sales as more and more sellers use GSP.  That is less profit on one front.

As shipping costs go up for the buyer, there is a good chance fewer people will bid in the long run - especially for all those who feel the bite of GSP. Fewer bids means lower item price.  Maybe it is not as bad for overseas buyers, but who knows.

Guess my point is... more sellers (to foreign markets) does not necessarily = more profits. If the cost to those foreign markets (including Canada) is high, buyers will find another source.

Message 3869 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

"As stated, Canadians should avoid purchasing low priced items offered through GSP.  It is that simple."

Don't buy often - but have never bought from anyone using GSP. Would only ever do so if the final price was reasonable. Haven't seen that yet...

Message 3870 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

Profitable for someone...

For the Canadian taxpayer.

Canada Post and the CBSA came to the conclusion that it was not worth assessing the applicable taxes and duty on items under about $100, since it would cost more to collect than was collected.

Private couriers don't have that luxury, so they charge for it. UPS is particularly notorious for charging $25 or more for this 'customs brokerage '. PitneyBowes who run the GSP charge around $4-$5 - and presumably make a profit on their brokerage and trans-shipment services.

Most of the money collected goes for taxes, which are payable on used products by the way.

So when you buy from a seller who uses the GSP you can be proud that you are helping to reduce the national debt.

If Canadian buyers are avoiding it like the plague, how are the sellers gaining more by using it?

The sellers  higher prices when they have both US and international* bidders, no matter who wins. Then they need only ship domestically (to Kentucky) with cheap USPS Delivery Confirmation. The GSP means the seller does not get hit with Disputes and Claims for undelivered items (some real some specious).

*The program is applied to all non-US purchases from US sellers using the Program, not just Canadians. So you are bidding against US ,Russian, Kiwi, German, Brazilian and Puerto Rican** members.

** You might be amazed at how many American sellers do not know that Puerto Rico is a US Territory and votes in Presidential elections. This terrifies many US sellers.

Message 3871 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

One of many scams on here. The GSP is another way of taking your money for absolutely bs reasons, they don't pay custom fees the government does, trying to act as a broker or middle man for customs. BS! Look at the Chinese and Korean shipping for free while we pay through the nose. See if they will pay what we pay? Thirdly, why do they collect fees and commissions before items have completed transactions, they love to bill you as fast as possible! Scams all over. I don't think they are Americans or Canadians running this show anymore, sounds like foreign work!
Message 3872 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

"*The program is applied to all non-US purchases from US sellers using the Program, not just Canadians. So you are bidding against US ,Russian, Kiwi, German, Brazilian and Puerto Rican** members."

I have no doubt someone (including Canadian Govt) is making more money. I suspect there is as nice reciprocal arrangement between PB and ebay as well.

However, I'm still not sure the sellers will make more. Would be interesting to know what % of ebay foreign sales comes from Canada, and how much of those Canadian bids/sales disappear as GSP takes more effect.  Maybe I'm way off, and we are just a drop in the bucket of overall foreign sales.

But then again, if GSP is as nasty to other countries as it is to Canada, I don't see sales going up, even if there is more potential bidders. If all foreign buyers have to pay crazy shipping prices, sales will not go up. Especially if it is difficult to do combined shipping with GSP.

Message 3873 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

" and we are just a drop in the bucket of overall foreign sales."

The last analysis I have seen on the subject is that Canada accounts for less than one percent of overall eBay volume worldwide.

From their perspective in their office in San Jose, we are basically irrelevant.  Policy changes such as GSP are not made with Canada in mind.  They were made looking at the world, mostly Europe with a population mote than ten times Canada, then Asia with its growing spending ability and South America..

Message 3874 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

"if GSP is as nasty to other countries as it is to Canada"

Once again it is not a case of being "nasty" and having to pay taxes and fees.  From the perspective of buyers in Europe and South America and Asia, it is a question of access to a market. 

Yes, those billions of folks are willing to pay fees and taxes to purchase goods from the USA not previously available.

As Canadians, we cannot compare their situation to ours.

Message 3875 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

"Canada accounts for less than one percent of overall eBay volume worldwide."

I can believe that.  Does sales internally to USA make up 95%?  90%? Less?

However, where do we rank in foreign markets?

We are closer and shipping should cost less than say, to overseas... I would think Canada has an advantage on shipping end...

Message 3876 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

Canada has 35,000,000 people

Europe has more than ten times as much

Asia has more than fifty times as much

From eBay's financial statements over the years, it appears than international sales by sellers account for about half (50%) of overall sales.  Canada is a very small fish in a big pound.

Message 3877 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

"it appears than international sales by sellers account for about half (50%) of overall sales"

Wow. And we are ~ 1%-2% of that 50%?

I concede - we're doomed.

Hope they (overseas) pay a lot in shipping... #bitter-much

Message 3878 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Now sure how sellers find the program profitable"

To understand the profitability, you have to forget you are Canadian for a moment.

One of the largest challenge facing eBay (an American public company) in its goal to increase international trade was the unwillingness of many American sellers from selling outside their borders.  They saw too many risks.

We all know many have been shipping to Canada for years without problem.  The new program was not meant for them.

On the other hand, we also know that Canadian buyers have been asking the same questions for years: "why don't American sellers agree to ship to Canada?" That same question was asked by many Europeans wishing to purchase goods offered by American sellers not offering to ship overseas.

So the program (GSP) was created to allow American sellers to sell overseas while shipping domestically.  All the risks involved in international trade (shipping delays, knowledge of Customs rules, etc...) were removed from them and the ability to sell overseas came at no cost to them. Foreign buyers would pay the extra fees and shipping charges involved.

So yes, it is more profitable for many American sellers as they now sell goods to foreign buyers, a market they did not service previously.

Ha, I tried to buy from a seller listing with GSP, and he sat on my order for 5 days. Why? Because he still won't ship outside US and when I asked why he had not shipped, said mine slipped through the cracks, then refunded me.

Point is, there are sellers who still will not sell overseas even with GSP. So what is the program good for? <_<

Message 3879 of 6,171
latest reply

GSP

Some U.S. sellers are sending their items to a "third party" in U.S. for shipping, then this third party charges Canadian buyers outrageous shipping costs and taxes (where does that money go, I need a receipt to show me if they have paid this to my government).

The fact is that U.S. seller only charges a small shipping cost, he has no idea the buyers are being scammed for big money.  If ebay doesn't sort this out immediately, I am going to take this to the government of Canada and ask them to look into where the taxes collected are going to.

For example a pair of booties asking for $110 is being charged $33.72 for shipping and $32.92 for taxes total $66.64 to a Canadian buyer.  By the way, majority of the times, we do not need to pay taxes especially on a small item which is used.

Sellers are not even aware of that?  Something is wrong ebay, are you taking part in this scam and benefiting from this shipping and tax scam.

Please sellers be aware and just ship it out by U.S. Post Service yourself and not subscribed to this service.  Ebay cannot make money off us at this out of line charging rates.

Thank you.

Long time Canadian shopping

Message 3880 of 6,171
latest reply