GST/HST

I am a rather new seller, and I my selling got more concentrated this year. My questions is about paying GST/HST. I was not sure if I was going to hit $30,000 this year, but now that I see that this includes shipping costs, I probably am or already have. I did not ask my Canadian buyers for this tax throughout the year so far. Do I have to pay this tax myself now on my total sales, or just the sales with Canadian buyers?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

GST/HST

@kellyandcharlie wrote:

I am a rather new seller, and I my selling got more concentrated this year. My questions is about paying GST/HST. I was not sure if I was going to hit $30,000 this year, but now that I see that this includes shipping costs, I probably am or already have. I did not ask my Canadian buyers for this tax throughout the year so far. Do I have to pay this tax myself now on my total sales, or just the sales with Canadian buyers?

You need to get registered for GST/HST.

Taxes are collected for Canadian sales only, but international sales count towards the limit.

Taxes are due from when you hit $30 000 or when you register (whichever comes first).

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/gst-tps/menu-eng.html

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

GST/HST

Once you have registered for GST/HST you have to remit it -BUT - you can include it in the price of what you are selling and tell your customer that you are paying the GST/HST for them. IF most of your sales go outside of Canada, you may end up getting money back from the government. Its a simple calculation - GST/HST collected - minus GST/HST paid. IIf you paid more in GST/HST than you collected, the government sends you a cheque. Once you have registered, however, be sure to send in the tax form for the GST/HST. depending on your sales level you may be asked to complete the form monthly, or quarterly, or annually. If you have questions call their toll free number and ask. It may take a few calls to get someone that you can understand and that understands a "mail(internet)  order" business. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply