GST and PST Information for New Sellers

I urge all sellers and would be sellers (located in Ontario) to invest the time to review the Retail Sales Tax Act of Ontario:
http://www.trd.fin.gov.on.ca/userfiles/HTML/cma_3_2491_1.html

Sellers (and would be sellers) residing in other provinces should do the same with their respective provincial government sales tax department websites.

All Canadian sellers (and would be sellers) should also invest the time to learn about the advantage of registering for GST/HST by visiting the GST website:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/business/topics/gsthst/menu-e.html

For more useful tips, please take a look at tax information for small business in Canada:
http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/gsthst/index_a.htm

Finally, do yourself a favour and read all of it, not bits and pices here and there. Do not select a sentence out-of-context because you like what it states.

To understand the tax system is part of doing business in Canada. If you want to sell on eBay (other than selling personal used goods) you are in fact becoming a small business. To understand the system will save you money and time on the long run.
Message 1 of 81
latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

fran3811
Community Member
I am planning to start selling on ebay in Canada only. I make my own clothing items from scratch and would like to know how I should deal with PST/GST and income tax. Should I be incorporated, or can I work as a small business? Which way is both legal and money-saving for me as a seller? A lot of confusion in this area and I would appreciate your help.
Message 41 of 81
latest reply

" A lot of confusion in this area and I would appreciate your help. "

I most strongly recommend you consult a competent tax advisor and accountant to guide you through the tax registration process and setting up your bookkeeping for tax purposes.
Message 42 of 81
latest reply

*bump*
Photobucket

Message 43 of 81
latest reply

bump
Message 44 of 81
latest reply

auctionfever604
Community Member
should I register a municipal liscence as well?
Message 45 of 81
latest reply

You should check with your local authorities.

In general terms, most municipalities do NOT require a municipal permit unless you bring buyers to your home.
Message 46 of 81
latest reply

jennlynn.g
Community Member
Thanks pierrelebel!
I wasn't going to register because my part time business will be below the $30,000 limit but have decided to do the voluntary registration. I had never thought about getting the GST back that I pay to my wholesalers, etc. and since it seems the majority of my business is in the US like you said it is well worth it.
Thanks again!
Jenn
Message 47 of 81
latest reply

auctionfever604
Community Member
thanks pierrelebel!

so the steps to go is:
1. Check if my business name is still available
2. Register that name as a Sole Proprietorship business.
3. Register PST
4. Register GST

Am I correct?
Message 48 of 81
latest reply

Steps 1 and 2 are NOT necessary.
Message 49 of 81
latest reply

Almost time to do GST again...my how time flies.

Anyways, the power of the ITC extends to beyond claiming GST on inventory. Office supplies, etc used in the course of business can also be ITCed. Read the handbook, it is very comprehensive. The ITC is your best friend.
Message 50 of 81
latest reply

You can even claim Input Tax Credit for the GST paid on the portion of utilities used for your business. It all adds up.

For example, if 15% of your home is used exclusively for your business, you can deduct 15% of mortgage interest (or rent), propery tax, gas, electricity, internet service, etc... from the profit generated by your online business (you cannot create or increase a business loss by deducting a portion of your home expenses for income tax purposes).

The same for gasoline. If you can segregate the portion used for business (going to Post Office or buy inventory/supplies for example), the GST paid on that expense can become ITC.

Etc... etc... etc...

It is important to really know and understand the rules. Consult a competent tax advisor to guide you through.

I filed my Annual GST/HST report electronically first week of May and had a cheque within two weeks. These guys are efficient!
Message 51 of 81
latest reply

canuckaloo
Community Member
These guys are efficient!

I mailed mine in on Apr. 13, and they're still sitting on it - a $124 refund - I should charge them interest! X-(

Message 52 of 81
latest reply

"mailed"

Did you write "mailed"?

Is it your first refund?
Message 53 of 81
latest reply

canuckaloo
Community Member
yes, I mailed it - yes, it was the first return. I called them the end of May and they were still "reviewing" it.

Meanwhile, I got my next quarter return form yesterday - I think I'll tell them I'm "reviewing" it. 😉

Message 54 of 81
latest reply

It is quite normal for them to "review" the first return if a refund is requested.

Generally, most businesses need to remit GST/HST and enclose a cheque with their return.

The only GST/HST registered sellers requesting refunds are generally those involved in export (or starting a new business, building inventory prior to sales).

The extent of the review depends on the amount requested. For a few hundred dollars, it should be quick and painless. Once you get to the four digit refunds every year, expect an annual phone call or visit from your friendly tax auditor.
Message 55 of 81
latest reply

"my next quarter return form yesterday.. "

Ask them to change that to yearly' it is less trouble and it is money in the bank.

The timing of getting a GST/HST refund (April/May) coincides with the need to send the income tax folks a cheque. Nice to have some "savings". 😉
Message 56 of 81
latest reply

canuckaloo
Community Member
Maybe I'll give them another call - it's a very small form with few numbers on it - I don't know what the heck they can be "reviewing"! It's not like there's pages of papework to look at! Oh well...

Message 57 of 81
latest reply

"don't know what the heck they can be "reviewing"! "

For a first return asking for a refund: most likely matching the information against the income tax return.
Message 58 of 81
latest reply

canuckaloo
Community Member
most likely matching the information against the income tax return

There is no income tax return - my first quarter was from mid February, to the end of March. So my sales won't be on a tax return until next year, when I do my 2005 taxes.

Message 59 of 81
latest reply

fairways_618
Community Member
This is a great thread and I do have a quick question. If I purchase goods for resale from a supplier in the USA and I incur GST and PST from Customs, is the GST paid applicable for an ITC and is the PST refundable? Thanks for your input!
Message 60 of 81
latest reply