Gaining more feedback

corazi
Community Member

Hi all,

I had about 50 sales in the last couple of months, but only 20 left feedback.  I have pretty low feedback and I need to start rolling with the feedback. 

Do you all suggest giving positive feedback to the buyer immediately after purchase? Has anyone tested whether they get more feedback if giving feedback after purchase or after the waiting until the buyer leaves feedback first? Also, does anyone recommend messaging the users who haven't left feedback?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Gaining more feedback

Hey! Yes, it is frustrating when you buyers don't take the time to simply tick a box and type a few words, but then, people usually only leave feedback when unhappy too. I have tried leaving it for the buyer first, then tried waiting for the buyer to leave it first, but nothing really works. You could try asking them if they were pleased with the purchase, but reminding them to leave feedback is a little annoying for  some. You really can't do much more than just wait.

I would guess only 50% of my customers have left feedback, and even when I have asked them if they were pleased, and they said yes, they still didn't bother to leave it. In my opinion, it is a useless tool anyways, as it means absolutely nothing.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Gaining more feedback

I always leave feedback for my buyers right away. My feedbacks are also down, for me it's not such a big deal as I have a lot, but I do like to know that buyers are happy with their purchases, and that they have arrived. I don't think there is much you can do to get buyers to leave feedback, it is a voluntary requirement, and eBay does send a reminder.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Gaining more feedback

"I had about 50 sales in the last couple of months, but only 20 left feedback."

????

You have received 39 feedback while you only gave 23 and you are complaining!

As a seller, giving positive feedback to your buyer immediately upon receipt of payment is one way to say "thank you".  It costs you nothing but a few seconds of your time.

It may also make it easier for the buyer to work with you instead of leaving negative feedback in case of problem.

Over the years I have given 106,300 positive feedback to buyers immediately upon receipt of payment and have been rewarded with positive feedback from buyers 81% of the time.  Some categories show lower response rate.  As a seller, do not expect all buyers to leave feedback.  Appreciate those who take the time to do it.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Gaining more feedback

Pierre has a different sort of client base. 81% is astounding. I used to be around 60%. I am now down to 20-25%.

There is not much you can do. Contacting afterwards is a no-no. Begging is simply not professional.

With buyers not leaving FB, that says to me, it is not important to them. Focus your energies on quality products and value added listings.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Gaining more feedback

I agree with the above posters, and particularly with Mr. Elmwood -- don't remind your buyers about FB, or you may get something you didn't expect.  Just be thankful for the ones who do bother. 

Buyers in some categories seem to be better than others at returning to leave FB.  I think Pierre Lebel's experience is rather special.  Even my buyers, a fairly grown-up demographic, who still read things, no longer leave the ca. 90% FB I used to get.  I'm happy now if 50% or more do bother.

I've tried leaving immediate FB, but that didn't seem to make any difference.  I do add a little personal note with every parcel that says I'd appreciate positive FB if they're pleased with the transaction, but I never, ever remind buyers about FB.  Remember that eBay does this automatically anyway, so as I said, it's better to leave well enough alone.  The FB you do get will be the FB you really want

Most of the time I wait a few days after the transaction until I know the buyer has received his/her parcel, and leave FB hoping that, by seeing their own FB number increase by 1, they may remember to return and leave FB for me. 

A small piece of advice if you're mostly worried about building up your FB score:  buy a few things you need or want on eBay, and leave the sellers FB.  Most sellers are pretty good about giving buyers FB, either immediately after a sale, or upon receipt of FB from buyers. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Gaining more feedback

I appreciate all the feedback, thanks everyone!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Gaining more feedback

@corazi wrote:

I appreciate all the feedback, thanks everyone!

Pun intended?

Photobucket
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Gaining more feedback

from my limited experience, I agree with a few on this topic. ... Don't remind buyers about feedback or suggest they leave positive if they are happy. I used to send something like ... "Thanks for your purchase. If you are satisified with your item, I could sure use some positive feedback" After a couple of really unreasonable complaints (via message no negative feedback) and no addition positive feedback, I stopped. Now I simply provide the best service I can and hope for positive feedback. 

What is really frustration is getting a message from a buyer about how happy they are with the purchase but no positive feedback. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply