'Get Started With Shippo Today'

Got the invitation to try Shippo in my ebay Messages this morning. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 8.40.26 AM.png

Went to the link and was immediately redirected to ebay.com which seems suspect for an ebay.ca application.

Here is the interface. I predict I will experience a steep learning curve when it comes time to print my first label. I hate change. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 8.50.55 AM.png

Talk about ugly presentation. I see they spared no expense on the Graphic Design of this application. (Sarcasm.)

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 8.51.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 8.52.09 AM.png

ABOVE: Does this mean we have access to all the carriers above? Like to print international Return labels? did ebay Canada staff ever clarify this for us? BELOW: Other platforms supported. 

Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 8.52.19 AM.png

I'll be back to update the thread as I use Shippo to print my first label. We shall see.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

"I hate change." 

LOL.  And you're still young.  Wait til you hit your 60's.  All I can say is that the positive side of being forced to adapt to eBay's constant changes is that it's probably staving off dementia for a lot of us.  Woman LOL

"Does this mean we have access to all the carriers above? Like to print international Return labels? did ebay Canada staff ever clarify this for us?"

Yes it appears so.  One of the new eBay Canada reps mentioned this a couple of weeks ago when he was talking about Shippo.  Look at the last bullet point in the promo about Shippo you included (your first screen shot): "You can even print USPS pay-on-use return labels for US customers".  Then notice the asterisk.  There is small print somewhere.  Wonder what that asterisk means?  (I didn't get the Shippo email, so I can't check). 

I think in looking at these screen shots that I will probably find other ways to print my labels for the first few weeks and let Shippo/eBay work out the bugs first.  When have we ever had a rollout of a new eBay feature without bugs?  And this is a big new feature (with probably big new bugs). 

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

As an aside, it seems these Shippo guys are in this big time.  Look at that list of platforms.  It covers a big swath of the online selling world.  Still, I imagine the partnership with eBay was a pretty big coup for them, so let's hope they'll focus priority attention on this site.  

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

I recently sold something on eBay, but got paid with SQUARE (screw paypal, never again!)  It's going to the USA and I have no way to print a label yet, i tried logging into shippo, looked to see if i got an email, tried from canada post website (wants me to phone them to get my account number?!),  help?!!! why has this been so hard for soooooo long... pathetic shipping options in Canada. Please suggest to me how to send a package to USA with printing a label at home.... why does this have to be so difficult? 

Sent from my Ipod Shuffle
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Use Snap Ship and your Canada Post Solutions For Small Business account.
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

@productaxi wrote:

I recently sold something on eBay, but got paid with SQUARE (screw paypal, never again!)  It's going to the USA and I have no way to print a label yet, i tried logging into shippo, looked to see if i got an email, tried from canada post website (wants me to phone them to get my account number?!),

... Please suggest to me how to send a package to USA with printing a label at home....

Did you try the Print Shipping Label link next to your order on ebay?

a dropdown action on the right side of your order in the Sold section of My eBay: All Selling

However, I suspect that won't work for you since you don't want anything to do with PayPal.

Shippo handling eBay.ca labels is currently in beta test, PayPal still has the job.

It also also sounds like you don't have a free Canada Post Solutions for Small Business (formerly Venture One) membership. You need that for online purchases from Canada Post. Once you have your membership number you can use Canada Post's Snap Ship (15% discount until July 31) or EST to print a label (credit card is required to pay).

For future consideration:

Depending on your location, if there is one nearby consider a reshipper company for better rates to the USA. These are the ones I've heard of (their websites have the details):

chitchatsexpress.com - Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax, Montreal
dykpost.com - Edmonton, Red Deer, Calgary
runninred.com - Winnipeg
stallionexpress.com - Toronto

-..-

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Did not get this invite. 😞  Me too, I usually don't like change, but I would have liked to get the invite to try it and see what it looks like.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

Hi, possibly a silly question but I can't get past a screen on the Shippo website.  When trying to connect my existing Canada Post account to Shippo, they're asking for a 10 digit number.  I have the card in front of me, and there's not a 10 digit number on it.  Any thoughts as to where I could find the number that they're asking for? 

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

Found the number, you just need to add zero's preceding the number that's on the card. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I used Snap Ship (Canada Post) to send a non-eBay parcel yesterday.

Much easier to use than earlier Canada Post services.

But I still had to use my credit card to pay, which I dislike . My preference is to keep all my online financial activity with Paypal. YMMV.

Still looking a Shippo with fisheyes.

And licking stamps.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

qottie
Community Member

Hi @momcqueen,

Quick reply related to your point about the other carriers supported by Shippo:

"ABOVE: Does this mean we have access to all the carriers above? Like to print international Return labels? did ebay Canada staff ever clarify this for us? BELOW: Other platforms supported. "

For the time being, eBay Canada has only negotiated rates with Canada Post.  However, you are able to use any of the carriers listed in your post, using your personal accounts with those carriers.  For instance, you could use an existing, or set up a new, USPS account if you wanted to print shipping labels (for instance for returns from the US). to your Shippo account.

If you do add these accounts, please be aware that you will be charged at the rates associated to your carrier account, not eBay-negotiated rates.  

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I just did it, and just put in the less-than-10-digit number on my card, and it worked.
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

Did not get this invite. 😞  Me too, I usually don't like change, but I would have liked to get the invite to try it and see what it looks like.

Someone must have read my message here, because I got the invite yesterday! Cool! Now I just need to take the time to register. 😉

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

I posed the question at Weekky Chat this week as to the reason some sellers were invited and others not. If memory serves, the answer was that it was a gradual roll-out. Glad you got the invitation to join sooner rather than later.
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I posed the question at Weekky Chat this week as to the reason some sellers were invited and others not. If memory serves, the answer was that it was a gradual roll-out. Glad you got the invitation to join sooner rather than later.

Roll-out is another word for betttta testing ....

Got my eBay invite this week -- the day after I'd signed up directly with Shippo. Both ways were pretty smooth to set up.

Unfortunately my parcel shipments this week are completely dead....

-..-

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

Just signed up with Shippo. I currently do not have anything to ship, so cannot test it. But I looked around the site and found this interesting part in the FAQ:

Insurance

Through Shippo you can purchase discounted insurance from our partner "Shipsurance" or directly from carriers themselves.

About insurance

Shippo (via Shipsurance) currently offers coverage for shipments sent with USPS, UPS, FedEx, DHL Express, and Canada Post.

Alternatively you can purchase insurance directly from FedEx, UPS, and Ontrac from the Shipment extras attribute. However, we recommend using Shippo's built-in insurance - it offers a more comprehensive coverage at a lower price.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

Insurance

Through Shippo you can purchase discounted insurance from our partner "Shipsurance" or directly from carriers themselves.

Shipinsurance also owns Insurepost. I use the latter for my insurance needs and they have been great to deal with. Most of the shipping aggregators/resellers like shippo/stamps/endicia/etc partner with one of third party insurance providers and typically offer a better rate than you would get through the third party insurers directly (unless you had a volume agreement).

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

I got my invite for Shippo today, and I have a question for those who are already signed up.

I'm going through the process of creating an account, and once I get to the Canada Post portion, I can either create a Canada Post account or connect an existing one. In creating a new account, I need to enter a "Legal business name". The problem is, I'm not a business nor do I have one. I'm just a guy who has been selling some of my old used media for a few dollars here and there.

What do I enter here? My eBay name?
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

Your name, like your given and surnames.
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

So, I just use my personal name as my "Legal business name"?
Message 20 of 27
latest reply