Good Old Kijiji!

Don't get me wrong, I love Kijiji! Have been finding amazing deals on there since I started using it years ago.

But the reality of it is that it's a world without rules, without integrity and honesty.

My buying field obviously being DVDs, BLU-RAYs, CDs & Video Games.

Right now I would honestly have to say that as a whole, in all my experiences, whether buying or inquiring about buying I'm at what I would call a 75% "fail" rate within Kijiji.

What I mean is that 75% of the time, something isn't "right"

Whether it's someone reneging on a deal, initially responding but then going silent, or someone selling burned items and lying about it until your at their door checking. Someone who can't even take 5mins to double check that the items they're selling are what's advertised or complete such as missing discs, wrong movie in case, empty cases, other Region movies, burned movies, misrepresented condition etc...

But that's the nature of the beast isn't it? Plus in the same sense, I keep buying and will keep buying because of all the great prices I find.

It's just now more comical though every time I deal with one of these "variables" on such a consistent basis.

What's your experience/opinion on Kijiji?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Good Old Kijiji!

DD2 acquired a beautiful piano for a great price on K.  No problems or issues.

DD1 found a suitable home for an older cat that her friend had  to give up unexpectedly, and saved it from having to move into the shelter.   No problems or issues, and DD picked up and delivered the kitty to its new home herself.  

They have had other less-rememberable ( not less memorable!) experiences, none of which came with any problems.  

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

I've used it to advertise CAN-CON2013 our science fiction and fantasy conference here in Ottawa and find it gives good coverage of potential attendees.

Better than Craigslist here in Ottawa, and we can add pictures which is useful.

At a guess, it is popular with geeks and nerds. My kind of people.

I've also purchased product there, but find very few box lots of the kind I need available. The only success I've had, I realized later that I had innocently purchased the library of the ex-boyfriend. Most booksellers want almost full price for single titles, which is fine for university textbooks, but used copies of The DaVinci Code?

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

My Kijiji experience.

I put a 1963 Harmony 1260 guitar on Kijiji for $800.00. A few days later I got call from a guy at 5:00 in the morning with an English accent asking me questions about the guitar. I asked him where he was calling from - he replied Newcastle upon Tyne - England. He asked if I would ship it to him. I said yes - but I want $800.00 in my hand, I would only ship it Air Mail and he pays all the costs.  We discuss it for a bit and he agrees. 

He paid me $1,233.00 by PayPay about 10 minutes after I emailed him back with the costs about a half and hour later.  I packed it and sent it out the same day. The $1233.00 covered the cost of the guitar, the Postal rate, the box, packing material and insurance.

He received the guitar 5 days later and he is still happy - he emails me about one a month.

I have put other items on Kijiji ever since and have not sold anything - go figure?

But I still thing Kijiji is great and I am still tying to make my next sale.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Do not even get me started on Kijiji.  Uh-oh, i've started.

Kijiji is full of 'flakes.'  I list a lot of stuff on Kijiji. I get dozens of reply's to the stuff I list, and rarely do they ever pan out.  I'll get people saying they are on their way and never show up.  Just this morning, I had an argument with a guy about an ad I had listed on there stating I don't do local sales, promoting an eBay ad.  Recently I've been trying to sway people to actually buy the item through eBay or PayPal to mitigate the time and hassle of picking it up.  Shipping would cost less than fuel burned coming to get it.   The guy still insisted that I DROP IT OFF to him in broken english, at the same time ranting about foreigners listing their stuff on there.  Kijiji exposes the stupid and idiotic in my community.  It honestly makes me aware of the lack of purposeful commitment within many individuals in my surrounding community and I drive more defensively because of it.  Im not trying to sound arrogant, I've just had a lot of bad experience with buyers on there.  I'll exchange dozens of emails with people that amont to nothing.  It's mostly a waste of time.

That all being said, every now and again someone does show up with cash which keeps me still posting on there.  Also, i've learned to bite my tongue which is good spiritual practice. I can't always, but most of the time I do.

There is no reasoning with the unreasonable.
Message 5 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

pre-ownedbrands
Community Member

I use Kijiji a lot. Buying and selling. More positives then negetives.

Plus no feedback scores,no returns and money or product in my hand.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Wow, since my post this morning condemning kijiji , i've actually had two folks come to buy items off me totalling $40.  LOL.   It's not all bad I guess 😉

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Kijiji is an on-line free paper. It was called "Bargain Hunter" here in Bugtussle. That free paper is out of business. Same character that listed or responded inj the free paper, now have computers and mobile devices.

CL is a joke, so, eBay with their Kijiji is the only game going.

What do I think? I think eBay has done a great job of taking over the free local ads all across Canada. Kinda makes me wonder what their long range plans are.

Considering that Kijiji is for the "free"loading bottom feeders, it does quite well.

The part that P-Us me off is, why post an ad if yer not going to respond? I need a construction heater, two listed. Emails and phone calls and I have no responses.

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Kijiji 'king of flakes' has actually done quite well for itself with the ability to purchase top ad space and daily deals. I'm sure they are making a pretty penny from their site! Never personally have bought a 'daily deal' but have purchased top ad space.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

i had a guy send me samples of his stock once claiming you caqn sell them for a good profit .. He shipped me 6 movies ..ALL WERE FAKE .. I clearly told him i am a licensed business and don't deal with fakes and he said no no i will send some they are all good people sell them on ebay all the time ...

Ya well those people should be ashamed of themselves.. Bootlegs = People losing jobs and buyers getting ripped off ...

I love and hate kijiji

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

bilge21
Community Member

Police in my area have no problem taking down businesses that sell fake DVDs thru Kijiji. They've closed down a booth in the local flea market as well as raided an asian market taht had a booth selling them.

I've had a top ad on my local Kijiji for the last 3-4 years and get quite a few customers from it.

I've also bought and sold quite a few things there such as cameras, lenses, a car, etc. Even bought my best buddy from there, my border collie Aero. 🙂

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

nan*55
Community Member

I love Kijiji for larger items.We have had a great experience with it . Last fall we listed hay for sale and it sold in 2 hours. A motorhome took 2 days 🙂

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

My favorite sale on Kijiji was when I had a couple large trees cut down in the yard. The guy who cut them down was decently priced for downing them, but wanted an arm and a leg to remove the wood from my property.

So I posted a "Free Wood" ad on kijiji and litterally had a response in seconds. Yard all cleaned up in less than 48 hours and I didn't have to lift a finger! 🙂

Good deal for them, problem solved for me!

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Haha! This is the sort of thing I deal with on a constant basis:

Made a deal with a guy yesterday for a lot of movies. Planned pick-up was today. Last night he messages me and says oh by the way these 4 are now gone, another message this morning and 6 more are gone. I asked him "I thought we had a deal, why are you still selling them off?"

He replied with "yep....that's not gonna change"......by the time I show up I'm sure they'll all be gone! 😉

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

kijiji been panning out pretty good for me lately.  had 2 sales of 35 gross yesterday, and a couple more planned...

Sent from my Ipod Shuffle
Message 15 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Haha! This is the sort of thing I deal with on a constant basis:

Made a deal with a guy yesterday for a lot of movies. Planned pick-up was today. Last night he messages me and says oh by the way these 4 are now gone, another message this morning and 6 more are gone. I asked him "I thought we had a deal, why are you still selling them off?"

Because 4 out of 5 Kijiji leads don't show up. I don't hold for anyone and always tell them it's not yours until you are here.

I also up my asking price by 10-20% because people always want to bargain. So eventually we get to the price I originally wanted and I tell them, I will give you for that price if you pick-up "today". Works well to eliminate no-shows, when people feel they are getting bargain and deal is time limited, they put up an effort.

On the other note, your guy could have waited one night. I would.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Like many others I've had a few good experiences with Kijiji and a few bad one's. It's buyer/seller beware. I too have had hundreds of responses that led nowhere and wasted

time. Anyway I want to relate a recent experience I had selling a power tool;

Buyer contacts me, asks if I might meet him at a local coffee shop just after

dinner, hey I said what the heck...no problem....and I can get a coffee while

I'm out 🙂 Go to the local coffee shop and he is there! Great, I think....easy sale

....after alittle price haggling we agree on a price and he pays me cash and

leaves rather quickly....which I thought alittle strange after I offered to buy

coffee, but hey no problem....lots of people in a hurry these days. So the next

day I went to deposit the "cash" in my bank account and to my surprise the

bank teller confirms to me the cash is counterfeit! Try and back track to find

this guy, but as you can guess the little contact info I had ... all false.

So...be carefull.....too many of us let our guards down, ironically I should have

known better as I was once in law enforcement.

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

I use Kijiji to advertise where I will be set up at certain shows or markets That usually works out for me and is a inexpensive way to advertise

I list occassionallly but usually have more luck on other sites

Some I know swear by it buying and selling

Like other venues it depends on being there looking for items or listing at the right times

Have friends tell  they have good luck selling there but they alternate the locations they advertise the items  One time local the next on kijiji sites such as Toronto Ottawa etc. They let  people know how far they are willing to travel and many times their transactions take place 1/2 way between the location listed and theirs or people will come to them . They very rarely put on low priced items since it has to be worth their while to travel They have told me sometimes it does not work out but overall it is worth their while  

weavers  

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

I've been using a fairly new local bidwars site and having so really good results, great way to get rid of the smaller items that cost way to much to mail or just don't work for the ebay model. Not a huge fan of CL or Kij... I do like selling to lacls though

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

nikat76
Community Member
My husband has had a lot of success selling several items on e-bay, as accepting PayPal guarantees that you will get paid before you ship your things. The seller is motivated to receive very good comments from the buyer as this gives them an excellent reputation, thus building the confidence of potential buyers.
Message 20 of 31
latest reply