Good Old Kijiji!

Don't get me wrong, I love Kijiji! Have been finding amazing deals on there since I started using it years ago.

But the reality of it is that it's a world without rules, without integrity and honesty.

My buying field obviously being DVDs, BLU-RAYs, CDs & Video Games.

Right now I would honestly have to say that as a whole, in all my experiences, whether buying or inquiring about buying I'm at what I would call a 75% "fail" rate within Kijiji.

What I mean is that 75% of the time, something isn't "right"

Whether it's someone reneging on a deal, initially responding but then going silent, or someone selling burned items and lying about it until your at their door checking. Someone who can't even take 5mins to double check that the items they're selling are what's advertised or complete such as missing discs, wrong movie in case, empty cases, other Region movies, burned movies, misrepresented condition etc...

But that's the nature of the beast isn't it? Plus in the same sense, I keep buying and will keep buying because of all the great prices I find.

It's just now more comical though every time I deal with one of these "variables" on such a consistent basis.

What's your experience/opinion on Kijiji?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Good Old Kijiji!

NECRO THREAD ALERT -- 31 month time gap

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Bizarre ---

While reading through this thread, guess what I could hear in the background coming from the TV in the living room (which my husband was watching) -- an ad for Kijiji.  How spooky is that?  

Necrotic thread indeed....Woman LOL

Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

I have had mixed results too.  But Kijiji is a true buyer's market for most items.  Selling on Kijiji actually makes me glad for having Ebay, much as I hate all the new Ebay changes.

My most interesting experience came from selling old Horror Movies on VHS. I was selling them for 3 bucks each which I thought was pretty reasonable.  Guy comes to my door.  He mentions that he loves old movies on VHS and that he's a professional actor.  I looked up his name on IMDB and he checks out, over a dozen tv and film roles to his credit.  But making the story a little bit weirder is the guy haggles me down to 1.50 a tape.  I didn't want to do that but i did want to clear them out and make space and I agree.

The next time I found some more older horror movies, some of which were rare and fairly valuable.  I list them on Kijiji for 30 for everything.  If I tallied their prices on Ebay it should have gone for over $100 for the lot but I was too busy to list.  The same guy calls up.  I told him this time I would not bargain and it was $30 firm.  He says fine and that he won't try to lowball again.  Sure enough he arrives and says he only has 20 bucks on him and that he really loves the films.  And like a dummy I agree and get haggled down.

I did get a picture of us together.  If he does make it big, I'll have a good story.

Message 23 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

I sold on Kijiji before I came to ebay, and for the first couple of years I sold on eBay.

After dealing with so many no-shows and rude, demanding, and down-right weird people, I said no more. I sell it on eBay, or it gets donated 😉

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

I use Kijiji to advertise markets or shows I am going to sell at and it works great for me. I have had people approach me at the shows saying they see my Ad in Kijiji  and ask about certain items and I have sold allot of items because of it before the shows. I have not had much luck selling on it as most of the Buyers I had were either tire - kickers or no shows. I only meet people in a place like Tim Horton's or other spots with people around and never in my house. We have had a few incidents around here with derelicts showing up and robbing 

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Well said sequins. 

This is ripe for me.   For the first time I've listed a few heavy items on Kijiji and I just got off the phone with yet another rude buyer.

Kijiji draws a lot of wheeler/dealer reseller types looking for rock bottom prices and many are rude and difficult to talk to.

Some buyers are buying for themselves and that's a different story as they tend to be polite and decent.

I've sold a few items but have to say it's a grind.

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

The last thing I sold on Kijiji I "sold" it 3 times and I still had it..... much work for lots of hassles and or like this item noshows...... haven't listed anything there for over a year now.... (that partiuclar item I took to a store and got about $15 less than I would have gotten on Kijiji for a lot less issues!)
Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

I have had some good experiences as a buyer on kijiji. I bought something a week ago from the other side of the Province and the guy was awesome to deal with . He accepted paypal and shipped the 80 lbs item to me with greyhound. 

Selling on kijiji is a hit and miss game. Common email i get is do you still have it? But then no reply.  Or i have had people not show up and ended up wasting my night waiting for someone. Also expect to get low offers , i usually just ignore them. 

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

Kijiji's changing even more.

It's become a world of Professional sellers and people who just think they are professional sellers.

Video Games, DVD's, VHS tapes?  Everyone has checked Ebay for the prices on these things.  Then they sell them on Kijiji for Ebay like prices.  They don't seem to understand that Ebay is a market unto it's own.  I almost never get something close to the Ebay price for anything unless it happens to be super rare and in demand.  

Ebay - seller has to pay 20-25% in fees, go through constant risk of an unscrupulous buyer making an unfair chargeback, leaving unfair negative feedback.  Ebay is a WORLD market or at least all of the USA and Canada which is more than 350 million people.  Toronto's big but it's only 6 million more or less. There's also the limited time of Ebay.  It's a snapshot of a weekly auction listing and can be rather hit and miss.

In short, I don't think it makes sense for Kijiji sellers to try and get Ebay prices.

Message 30 of 31
latest reply

Good Old Kijiji!

I look on Kijiji sometimes for items, but have never bought anything there - I hate the ads and limited scrolling of pictures.  Much prefer Craigslist which is dominant in my city (Vancouver), and from which I've obtained quality art for fair prices.

Message 31 of 31
latest reply