Good for a morning chuckle...

Got a request this morning to cancel an overnight transaction, which was also paid for.

Reason: person somehow bought the item in their sleep  🙂

First time I've had that for a cancellation reason!

I just cancelled with the "buyer changed mind or incorrect address" reason, hopefully I'm defect free as a result. It was strange though the cancellation process screen/wording said the buyer would have to confirm, however it looks like it completed automagically without their response. Certainly if it shows up as a defect I'll call it in, the messaging happened through eBay.

Have a great day!!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Hopefully it would not effect your score. I have new return request from buyer with: "Beautiful! Do you have more of this product?"

Can't believe it!

Found new option with :

Decline the return

This will automatically close the buyer's request.
Next step -
We encourage you to accept a return Consider accepting a return to give the buyer a great experience, but you can decline if you have to.
Will try and see what happen.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

I looked at their feedback and they have never ever purchased stamps before, so it looks like it wasn't intentional.... I did have a friend in school that sleepwalked, perhaps this was a case of sleep-buying!!
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

A book entitled "Sleepwalker"  was about a unique court case ... A trail that made Canadian legal history.

A man wakes up from a "dream"  and thinks he might have killed two people...

The reality was that his wife's mother was dead  while her father had been attacked and survived.

The husband had bloodied hands when he walked into a police station but could remember nothing  except glimpses of a dream.

The defence was based on a claim of "non-insane automatism"      The final ruling went to the Supreme Court of Canada.

and then the final ruling....  Not Guilty --- Not conscious, not responsible, not guilty.

Final consideration.....  One cannot be held responsible for what one does in a "sleepwalking state"

A Sleepwalking defence....    One must have a history of sleepwalking and a failure to remember for this claim to work...

---------------------------------------------------------------

The question is..

Can a person buy while sleepwalking.......  Legally yes.....  

Sleepwalking is a very unusual state for a human...  and evidently we can do anything in that state  between sleep  and being fully awake...

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

By definition..... Someone can buy in a sleepwalking state

From the internet ----- 

Sleepwalking, also known as somnambulism or noctambulism, is a sleep disorder  belonging to the parasomnia  family.  Sleepwalkers arise from the slow wave sleep stage in a state of low consciousness and perform activities that are usually performed during a state of full consciousness. These activities can be as benign as sitting up in bed, walking to the bathroom, and cleaning, or as hazardous as cooking, driving, violent gestures, grabbing at hallucinated objects, or even homicide.

Although generally sleepwalking cases consist of simple, repeated behaviours, there are occasionally reports of people performing complex behaviours while asleep, although their legitimacy is often disputed. Sleepwalkers often have little or no memory of the incident, as their consciousness has altered into a state in which it is harder to recall memories. Although their eyes are open, their expression is dim and glazed over. Sleepwalking may last as little as 30 seconds or as long as 30 minutes.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

I have had a couple of buyers saying they purchased by mistake (although none in their sleep!), I clicked that they purchased by mistake and there was no defect.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

On the other hand.....

Seller cancels a transaction while in a sleepwalking state.....   What next?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Tribe: Yep I've had folks ask to cancel before but it has always been before they paid. This is the first time in a long time they've asked after they've paid.....
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

There was a night two years ago when two buyers paid  and immediately asked for a cancellation

Cancelled almost immediately....

and then... two positive feedbacks received.

Was frustrating because everything happened within a one hour period  ... positive feedback helped..... 

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

LOL

About two years ago, I was taking sleeping pills for a short period of time.  I got up in the middle of the night, turned on my computer and bought a $400 vacuum cleaner from Sears.  Logged off and went back to sleep .... evidently.  The next morning, I saw the confirmation in my Inbox and went "w-h-h-a-a-a-t ! !"  .  In my (ahem) defense, I had been thinking about buying a new vacuum, so maybe there was a tiny bit of logic behind it.   Another morning, I woke up with two ice cream wrappers in my bed.  Didn't remember them either.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

I have woken to find my iPhone in my hand and some very nonsensical things typed into it, so, yeah. I can see it. 

Sleepwalking, eh. Twenty-five years ago, I used to wake up with eyeballs burning because I had attempted to put in my contact lenses without first neutralizing the cleaner they soaked in. I also used to find I had turned on my curling iron and did other dangerous things in the middle of the night too. Tried to set the dining room table once. Make the bed. Fold towels. 

Unfortunately, my children have inherited this tendency so now I sleep with one eye and one ear open. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply