Graded hockey removed because of trademark violation?

I'm fairly new to selling and I've roughly been selling records, jerseys, and hockey cards.  I'm always by the book though; I'm an honest seller with 100% feedback.  I was surprised the other day when I got an email from ebay saying one of my hockey cards was removed because of 'Trademark Violation - Unauthorized Item".

The item in question: a graded and authenticated (by PSA) Pat Lafontaine Rookie Card.

What annoys me is that ebay didn't even say what specifically was the issue - it just included a link to their replica/counterfeit policies and it's up to me to play a guessing game as to why my item was removed.  Oh and cherry on top was "Please do not reply to this message.  [This message] was sent from an address that doesn't accept incoming email".

Sooo...there's no specific reason why the hockey card was removed....there's no option to dispute the action....nothing.  I would understand if say I was selling an 'authentic' autographed memorabilia without any paperwork...but this was simply a graded card that was authenticated by a very reputable company.  Not the other mickey mouse authenticators out there.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well, I see "PSA" is on eBay's accepted authentication, so the idea that this may be a "sour grapes" competitor's complaint, or a misinformed report could make sense. 

list: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/authentication.html#authentication 

To the OP:  I've had my troubles in the past with erroneous trademark violation reports and having listings taking down incorrectly, so I'd suggest you do take the time to phone eBay, as tedious as it may be.  Work your way up from the people who answer the phone to an account supervisor if you don't initially get someone who seems to understand what you're talking about.  I found that I ended up having to speak to an eBay higher-up from the UK who finally grasped what the problem was and was able to do something about it. 

The phone call may be worth it if you're planning to sell other similar items.  In the meantime however do not re-list the item that was taken downor you may find yourself in even deeper trouble. 

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

73rhc
Community Member

Sounds like maybe a competitor made a complaint to get your item off. So that his card would be more attractive. I would be on the phone to eBay to get a proper explanation.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

That's what I was thinking...that Ebay is setup now that it's completely automated that someone can simply report the item on any grounds and it's automatically removed without any 'human' gander.  IF it is...that's very unfortunate as 1)it's a big turn off for sellers 2)it's a complete waste of time on my end and ebay's end for me to call in....put on hold...the research the item further...I then have to relist the item and hope that any active bidders I had beforehand bid again.

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Many years ago... somewhat 10 Years ago....  there was a company that was selling a lot of "certified" hockey memorabilia...

Certified hockey cards.....  signed photos of players... and lots, lots more.

They sold on eBay.

and .....hen the roof caved in.... they were selling counterfeits.

Not everything was counterfeit... but everything they had certified  was put into question.

Go back and make sure this one card was not a part of their original inventory.. Their name cannot be associated with this rookie card...

The card may indeed be a rookie card..... but it this company was involved  everything is put into question....

This one company's business fell  into oblivion in one shot...

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Many years ago... somewhat 10 Years ago....  there was a company that was selling a lot of "certified" hockey memorabilia...

They sold on eBay.

Not everything was counterfeit... but everything they had certified  was put into question.

Go back and make sure this one card was not a part of their original inventory.. Their name cannot be associated with this rookie card...

The card may indeed be a rookie card..... but it this company was involved  everything is put into question....

@cumos55 wrote:

They sold on eBay.

@cumos55 wrote:

They sold on eBay.

@cumos55 wrote:

They sold on eBay.

Wowzers - well actually...I assume there's been hundreds or thousands of these companies you speak of since 10 years ago.  Are you saying though that PSA for example or Beckett was bamboozled in certifying counterfeit items and since then - those items are still floating around in the marketplace?

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

PSA Hockey memorabilia was searched on the internet..

and.... things look to be OK....

But if you look up hockey memorabilia counterfeits.....  and ....everything found  on the internet is most interesting...

How can one guarantee it is not a "fake"...That is a question with everything sold  that requires certification as "real"

Today... Certification makes it worth the price....

and ....when it comes to certification... does not matter if t is artwork, furniture,  Lalique, or very valuable coin..... or ... a Hockey card...

Provenance is important..... 

How did it get to where it is today?

and then... there is a lot more.....and more.  and more............and.....

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

I have seen a lot over the last 35 years.....  

I am always learning.....  

There will always be more questions  than answers...   and sometimes  something like this rookie card falls through the cracks...

Do some search on the internet  with respect to certification... counterfeits  and more ... The answer is out there.... but even with the answer others will disagree  .... 

It scares me....

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

Good morning

It could be that the listing was removed in error or was removed for a reason different than the one stated.

Instead of speculating, I suggest you call eBay and ask specifically what the problem is.

To call eBay, click on Help & Contact (top of the page)

Then enter "contact eBay" in the box.

eBay will then give you a link where a phone number will be given for you to call within a specific amount of time - the numbers keep changing (or at your option you can leave your phone number for eBay to call you)

Good Luck.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

There have been a few instances noted on discussion boards eBay.com  where a listing gets removed.... for a specific reason.

Even if eBay is wrong one must recognize.... Do not relist.

Some sellers have assumed they were right... and they may be.... 

They relist.... and.... eBay removes it again... and then... sometimes again

the seller is in trouble

Do not relist... No matter what eBay says... even if they admit some measure of error... It may get removed again.

Once removed  it should never be listed on eBay ... never again...

-------------------------------------------------

I had listed a book a  hardcover  book that was a record ... a re-publication in hardcover edition --- of magazines promoting the excellence of the "Third Reich" ....published by "Hitler" early in the Second World War....  a most interesting read.....

It was removed. from eBay .. while others ....listings of the same book were not.

I suspect that my listing got onto a European site.... specifically France....  or was viewed by someone from France...and it was reported.

Who has the most strict rules about  Nazi memorabilia?... France.... Why France  and not Germany?  Just because!

The book was never listed again.....  Understand why it was removed....No need to argue... accept the reality.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

Sometimes the reason for a removal is not immediately understood.... My thought after my last reply herein...

When I list a book  I put a lot of information... about the book from the Preface, the Foreword, the Introduction and even the internet  and then the Table of contents.

Putting this plus a measure of commentary by me... in that Hitler book... might have given someone the impression I was promoting the .... Excellence of the Third Reich.

Whereas in fact it was a commentary on history.... what  Hitler's vision of excellence was...  and then why his vision failed....

and then... someone might not have been offended by the book itself ...but by what was presented in the listing... and then my commentary.

Take your pick....

and then the book was given to a local Charity that has regular book sales each year...  

Always list carefully

Never relist an item that was removed by eBay...

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Have you read the following info and clicked on the links? It might give you more information....

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/autographs.html

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Well, I see "PSA" is on eBay's accepted authentication, so the idea that this may be a "sour grapes" competitor's complaint, or a misinformed report could make sense. 

list: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/authentication.html#authentication 

To the OP:  I've had my troubles in the past with erroneous trademark violation reports and having listings taking down incorrectly, so I'd suggest you do take the time to phone eBay, as tedious as it may be.  Work your way up from the people who answer the phone to an account supervisor if you don't initially get someone who seems to understand what you're talking about.  I found that I ended up having to speak to an eBay higher-up from the UK who finally grasped what the problem was and was able to do something about it. 

The phone call may be worth it if you're planning to sell other similar items.  In the meantime however do not re-list the item that was taken downor you may find yourself in even deeper trouble. 

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

My opinion is that eBay don't know what they are doing when they removed the certain items.

It happened to me about 5 years ago when I posted a genuine hand-signed poster by Gordie Howe and I included many pictures of this poster, signature, even the actual poster tube with mailing address that came with this poster, even a letter from his assistant saying Gordie is happy to donate this poster for the organization for the fundraiser, the whole work and eBay removed it!!

I suspect it is due to competitor complained to eBay plus eBay never read the listing fully and see the pictures of the 1000% proof!

I have seen many faked autographs, etc and they were reported to eBay and they are still on eBay for years and years.  Go figure!!

It showed that eBay really don't know what they are doing and I have seen the kind of proof over and over for many years since then.

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

A couple months ago I had a signed Rush photo removed as well as another auction that I has relisted because the buyer didn't pay because they bought another one cheaper from someone else. I assume they were also the one who reported the Rush photo even though the email specified Neal Peart. I was told to email the address they provided & of course never got a reply. Now I don't know what I should do 😕
Message 14 of 22
latest reply

Neil Peart was the contact information that you were given? If so, it sounds like a vero take down. You can relist it only if the vero contact person tells ebay that it is ok for you to relist.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/questions/vero-ended-item.html

ebay doesn't generally take down an item just because the general public tells them there is a problem with the item. Otherwise, competitors would be constantly reporting each other.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply

It said it was on behalf of Neal Peart & the email address I was given was to a website for computer data recovery so it obviously wasn't him who reported it. There's hundreds others on there too so why mine. I know if was the buyer of the item item because they were both removed within a few minutes of each other.
I just don't know what I should do now. When I called ebay they just said to contact that email address. I hate calling ebay
Message 16 of 22
latest reply

You may want to contact us if:

• You can't find the rights owner's email address.

• You sent an email to the rights owner, but they haven't replied after 7 days.

• The rights owner replies to your email, but you still believe they made a mistake in reporting your listing.

This is what ebay says.

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

...this vero thing.. So far seems to be a joke. I've seen some sellers use other's listings and nothing happens. Photos and text.

And ebay does not remove the listings.

Never mind the copyright laws, what bugs me is that we are buying items obviously not as described if a seller is using other pictures and listings! Yet the listings stay on.

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

Just a quick update - my time is valuable as is anyone's so I simply just emailed Ebay's facebook address...it took a few days for a response but they immediately admitted they had removed the item by error. A big oopsy...
Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@greenco25 wrote:
Just a quick update - my time is valuable as is anyone's so I simply just emailed Ebay's facebook address...it took a few days for a response but they immediately admitted they had removed the item by error. A big oopsy...

Interesting, an eBay email response. Was it actually eBay customer support?

If so, many posts here in these forums asking for an email address to contact eBay. Can you post the email address you used so other may email eBay in the future?

Message 20 of 22
latest reply