HELP!!!!PLEASE INTERPRET THE UA FOR FVF ON SHIPPING

Would someone please interpret the terms as stated by eBay as to how they calculate final value fees on shipping

for a seller in Canada selling on .ca?

Need correct interpretation for a purchase by a US buyer where calculated domestic shipping is shown as $8.99

and shipping to USA is $10.25.

In this case, what should the fee on shipping be according to eBay's posted rules?

****From eBay's posted 'how fees work'***

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Final value fees on shipping

Final values fees on shipping charges are calculated using the shipping service the buyer chooses.

However, when you offer an international or express shipping service and it's selected by your buyer, the way your final value fee for shipping is calculated varies.

If you list on eBay.ca

If you list on eBay.ca and a Canadian buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using the shipping service that the buyer chooses.

If you list on eBay.ca and a US or international buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first domestic service in your listing that isn't express, or

• Your international or express shipping service

For example, if a buyer chooses international shipping and you specified free shipping as your first domestic option on your eBay.ca listing, you don't pay any final value fees on shipping charges for that item. If international or express shipping is the only service you offer, your final value fee for shipping charges will be calculated on that service.

If you list on eBay.com

If you list on eBay.com and a US buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using the shipping service that the buyer chooses.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I'm not sure which part you are questioning.  If you have chosen calculated domestic shipping at $8.99 and US shipping at $10.25, then your FVF on shipping to USA should be calculated as 10% of $8.99.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Good, that's how I understood it too BUT...

I have just been charged FVF on the shipping cost to California instead of on the Domestic shipping cost.

There was a post about this recently, so I have started checking, AND it seems to be happening quite often, so BEWARE everyone, and have a look.

I found a lot in April where I was charged FVF on the actual shipping cost to USA as opposed to the Domestic shipping cost. I can't seem to get at my April Invoice right now, but I did a quick run through the other night, and it seemed pretty random. Some had FVF on the domestic cost, and some had FVF on the actual shipping cost to where it was shipped.

The randomness does not make sense to me, because if it is a computer glitch then it would do the same thing all the time wouldn't it.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

I'm not sure which part you are questioning.  If you have chosen calculated domestic shipping at $8.99 and US shipping at $10.25, then your FVF on shipping to USA should be calculated as 10% of $8.99.

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I was questioning - I interpret the FVF to be (as you state) - 10% of $8.99.

However we were charged on the US shipping amount at 10% of $10.25.

Unfortunately, this has happened before (with a larger amount). 

When I phoned customer service today, the person I talked to was of no help and said we had been charged correctly.

Frustrated to say the least.  It's not a large amount but the principle of being charged correctly.

When this happened before CS agreed that we were charged incorrectly and refunded the fees.

Said it was a "system error".

Suggest that everyone should be checking their eBay billing and phoning CS if they find any errors.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I too looked at my fees and I have been charged incorrectly.  I offer free domestic shipping so I shouldn't have any FVF on my sales and somehow I do.  This is a big headache for me, now.  Now I have to spend hours trying to get this resolved.  

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

This should be brought to Rafael during the Wednesday discussion with eBay staff.

Just to be clear-- if you are listing on dotCOM, the first domestic rate will be to US customers.

If you are listing on dotCA, the first domestic rate will be to Canadian customers.

With so many of us moving between the two sites it is possible that this is the real explanation for an apparent glitch.

Or perhaps not.

If you bring the question to the Discussion , have the listing numbers handy.  Raphael won't give an immediate answer, but he does seem to discuss with other staffers.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I have one more thing I would like to clarify before I start going through all these listings.

When shipping within Canada, will the final value fee be charged on the actual shipping cost OR on the least expensive shipping cost?

Example: If I ship to BC from Ontario, will I be charged FVF on the cost to BC, or what it would cost to ship to Ontario?
I thought it would be the least expensive cost, but when looking through my invoices the other night, I saw that I was charged FVF on the actual Domestic shipping cost rather than the local shipping cost.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

From the OPs post:

If you list on eBay.ca

If you list on eBay.ca and a Canadian buyer purchases your item, your final value fee for shipping is calculated using the shipping service that the buyer chooses.

Key word:  buyer - the buyer was in BC, you will be charged 10% FVF on the amount you charged the buyer.  Why would eBay calculate what the shipping might have been had you sold the item to your neighbour?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

From the OPs post:

If you list on eBay.ca

Key word:  buyer - the buyer was in BC, you will be charged 10% FVF on the amount you charged the buyer.  Why would eBay calculate what the shipping might have been had you sold the item to your neighbour?

Well.... for the same reason that they charge me FVF on what it would cost to ship to my neighbour even if I ship internationally. I don't know, I've learned not to expect things to always make sense so,  I just wanted to make sure before I start going through my invoices.

Thanks for clarifying.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

If anyone needs to double check what the fees should be

go to the "How Fees Work" page

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/insertion-fee.html

On the right hand side under "Related Help Topics" there is a link to a "Fee Calculator".

As long as you are selling on dotCA you should get the accurate fee amount

when you enter in all the relevant information.

Thanks.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply