Have Canadian expedited rates increase recently?

I have a small packet 22 x 11x11 cm weighing less than 550 grams to Quebec, and the shipping is coming us as $16.17. I usually find that shipping from ON to QC is quite reasonable, often around $8,

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

$16.17 is correct if you go East/North of Quebec City.  I used the Gaspe postal code and $16.17 came up for Expedited.

You can ship by regular parcel post for less ($13.17 tax included)

I always ship regular parcel post

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Quebec is a very large province. You do not mail to the province, but, to the address. A more remote location is extra handling and enhanced cost.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Is the location in Quebec away from any major cities as that can make a difference?  I did a quick check on postage with those dimensions from Toronto to Quebec City and the total was under $10 before the paypal discount.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

$16.17 is correct if you go East/North of Quebec City.  I used the Gaspe postal code and $16.17 came up for Expedited.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

It was Chertsey, before the discount is was $19.11. I lost on that transaction, I can't charge more than I have stated in my listing. Just one of those things, I was just surprised at the cost.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

For those of us who use Paypal shipping, expedited has a discount and is less expensive than regular parcel.

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pierre, you got to kidding me?!  Expedited by PayPal Shipping is much cheaper than Regular Parcel Post!!  Use PayPal Shipping.  I think you went to the post office to mail it by Regular parcel Post? 

Sheesh, I thought are you more wiser than that!!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

"I think you went to the post office to mail it by Regular parcel Post...  I thought are you more wiser than that!! "

Thank you for the back-hand compliment.  You are right, of course.  " Use PayPal Shipping"  I am smarter than that.

I go to the post office to mail my domestic parcels by regular "parcel post" and save lots of money every time.

That is one of the advantages of living in a small town.  The Post Office is only minutes away and the folks are friendly. We are all on a first name basis.

I understand some busy eBay sellers buying postage online from PayPal and dropping the parcels at a box on a corner.  However, I would think most sellers using Expedited service would want the parcels scanned at the post office.

So, yes, I like saving money on shipping and do a pretty good job at it. There is something to be said for experience.  Smiley Happy

But, as we all know, your comments have nothing to do with the subject of this thread. 

I was simply replying to the original question and suggesting - through a rate example - that yes the high rate was possible when going from Ontario to parts of Quebec away from the main centres.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Strange thing is, I just did a label for a package about the same dimensiosn, slightly lighter to BC, cost $11.23, as opposed to $17.99 for the one to Quebec yesterday.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

It is not always easy to find "logic" in Canada Post pricing structure. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

73rhc
Community Member

Chertsey's postal code is J0K 3K0. I believe any postal code with a zero in the second position, is considered rural by CP. And that the rates are higher than urban areas. I could be wrong, but that's what someone at CP once told me.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Thanks Pierre, I had never heard that. I remember that I once have very high shipping on a package and found from the buyer that it was an island, and used a boat for delivery. The fact that I could have mailed both these packages to the US for around $9 shows the high cost of Canadian shipping within the country.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

This is a good reason for using Calculated rates over Flat Rates.

The isolated address will show the buyer the correct higher rate.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Well, this transaction has gone from disaster to disaster. I heard from the buyer today that Canada Post delivered it to the wrong address, and now the package is on it's way back to me. She called Canada Post and they said for me to re-send it to the new address and then call them and they would refund the postage.

I told her that I am not happy with that, I have already lost on the is transaction, and suggested that she pay me to ship it back and then she can call Canada Post again and get the refund. Thanksfully she agreed to that.

My problem now will be with the new policy with Paypal, I won't be able to print a new label, and the postage will be even more. Is there any way to get around this?

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

You should talk to Canada Post yourself. You shouldn't have to put any more money up front. They made the mistake, they should send it back at no charge. They must have a way of doing that.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

I heard from the buyer today that Canada Post delivered it to the wrong address, and now the package is on it's way back to me.

Interesting. How did she know that?

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

She said that with the tracking # Canada Post contacted her and told her that they had returned the package to the sender because they couldn't find her address. She said that she she had a transfer of her mail to her new address. I don't know why she didn't think to change it on Paypal.

I don't know now how to charge her for the return postage which she had agreed to pay, and then to resend it, I don't suppose there is a way to send it with a Paypal label any more.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

@triber wrote:

She said that with the tracking # Canada Post contacted her and told her that they had returned the package to the sender because they couldn't find her address. She said that she she had a transfer of her mail to her new address. I don't know why she didn't think to change it on Paypal.

I don't know now how to charge her for the return postage which she had agreed to pay, and then to resend it, I don't suppose there is a way to send it with a Paypal label any more.

You could send her an invoice through PayPal (you have her email address from the original transaction). And then, you will be able to print the new label. Do not forget to ask her to change her address *before* paying 😉

Message 18 of 18
latest reply