Have any sellers had this bizarre issue? Be careful!

It seems never a dull moment here...

Today a (Cdn) buyer purchased an item, I entered the parcel details (size, weight, etc.) on the Paypal label screen, then got a message that the label couldn't be completed because the buyer's address was a mis-match with her postal code.  Sure enough, at that screen, the buyer's address was shown as "ON" (Ontario), when the postal code and city were clearly BC. 

I backed out, contacted the buyer, she had the good sense to phone Paypal.  They told her this was a glitch with this transaction only, that I would need to refund all her money and she would have to re-purchase (this was an auction item that had ended hours earlier, so not a simple matter).  Besides, a refund in those circumstances would probably be an automatic defect. 

I suggested Paypal might be wrong, and the buyer contacted them again.  She told me she checked her address in her Paypal profile and it was fine.  This time Paypal told her that they would (a) fix the address on the transaction from their end (they didn't); and (b) contact me by email with an explanation and further instructions (they didn't). 

Ultimately I decided to manually override the "ON" in the buyer's address on the label screen and change it to "BC".  I at least got the label to print properly, but the transaction record and the packing slip both still showed "ON".  Also, the tracking # (this was Expedited) and the shipped icon didn't show up as usual on my Sold list for this item.  

I've never seen any of this before, and am wondering if this may have any impact on seller protection in this case, since the label won't match the transaction information on Paypal.  The buyer's address on the eBay transaction page was correct.  

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?  It's never occurred to me before, ever.   

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Things like this make me happy I'm a "stick stamps on the package" kinda guy......
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

LOL!!!  Woman LOL  You're some help! Smiley LOL

Yeah, I have to deal with almost every size, shape, weight and type of item imaginable.  I just thank my lucky stars I don't also have to ship breakables.  

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I don't know why but I immediately cracked up when I saw your response. Someone was totally rubbing it in. Woman LOL

Well, I'd just manually add that tracking number in my eBay screen... would that work? Personally I'd hand write (or print) the address again and stick it on the side on the parcel just to settle my own paranoia Smiley Happy

(And no I never had it happened to me before... I have only used paypal shipping about 10-20 times over the past few years though as 95% of my items go via letterpost / light packet.)

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Hi,

I have just had two similar experiences.

Firstly, PayPal has started not putting the shipping method for the U.S. into the label so that I have to scramble to find out which method to enter. I have noticed this ever since they have stated that we have to switch to Canadian dollars. This did not happen to a package sent in Canada.

I sent a package to the U.S. and it took 45 days to come back to me, with a yellow NIXIE label on it. This seems to mean that the address was incomplete.  When I looked at the ebay order details, the address was correct but, when I looked at what had printed through PayPal, the four numbers in the zip code, after the hyphen, were missing. ?!  When I printed the label for the next package package to the U.S., I double checked the label against the address details and the second half of the zip code was missing again! So, I hand-printed it on the label.

This is not a printer error, but I don't know whether to contact e-bay or PayPal. Neither of them has decent customer service.

This is so annoying!

Carole

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

the four numbers in the zip code, after the hyphen, were missing. ?! 

That should never be a problem.

The five numbers should be all that is needed. The second group of four are helpful to the USPS and the carrier, but not actually necessary.

I suspect the NIXIE return (from USPS?) was a USPS employee with too much time on her hands.

But since you have had a problem, and are watching for it, just handwrite the missing numbers onto the label.

The point is to get it to the customer after all.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I had 2 similar situations where the Paypal addresses did not match the eBay addresses.

In both cases the actual street addresses matched, but the countries were wrong.

The eBay addresses were in the US but the Paypal street addresses were in South America and China.

Paypal shipping locked me out and I had to go the CPO site and create the labels there.

One was a deliberate con.   That buyer knew exactly what she was doing and I'm surprised the system allowed that to happen.

There were warnings in the buyer's FB that she claims that packages were sent to the wrong address but I didn't see it until I'd already shipped.

Sure enough, as expected: :  She filed a claim that the item didn't arrive and won.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

rose-dee wrote:

I've never seen any of this before, and am wondering if this may have any impact on seller protection in this case, since the label won't match the transaction information on Paypal.  The buyer's address on the eBay transaction page was correct.  

The answer is you wont be protected. It is very clear that you must send to the address on file. You cant adjust the address. No matter how minor.

Now if this is a glitch , then it should clear up by itself. Most likely the delivery will go fine, in that case , no worries.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Unless they just started doing it recently, those last four digits have never shown on the Paypal labels and it's never caused a problem for me.  It isn't required by USPS and a package would not get sent back because they were missing.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@jersey..authentix wrote:

@rose-dee wrote:

The answer is you wont be protected. It is very clear that you must send to the address on file. You cant adjust the address. No matter how minor.

Now if this is a glitch , then it should clear up by itself. Most likely the delivery will go fine, in that case , no worries.

If it hadn't have gone fine we probably would have heard about it by now. The package was sent in 2014.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

If it hadn't have gone fine we probably would have heard about it by now. The package was sent in 2014.  Smiley Happy

What is it with old threads all of a sudden. Didnt notice myself till you mention it. Really should start a new thread than responding to an ancient one.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply