Here We Go Again... Return Shipping

Is the buyer, or isn't the buyer, responsible for all return shipping. My understanding the buyer is when returning an item they changed their mind about. However, here I am with a bill from FedEx for return shipping.

Did the policies change in this area again?

Janet and Paul
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

If your return policy states that the buyer pays for the return then it is their responsibility UNLESS the reason is a nad return.

Did the buyer go through the ebay return system and if so, did the reason that they say they are returning because they changed their mind or something similar.

Even if it is a nad return, if you don't send them a shipping label seller and buyer are supposed to discuss return shipping which is good time to specify which service to use.

I see that you have a no return policy I am assuming that you and the buyer discussed the return but nothing was mentioned about return shipping? If not, you  should contact the buyer and ask why the bill is being sent to you? Actually....is the bill actually for shipping or is it for duty/taxes and a service fee. Fedex is notorious for delivering international parcels and then sending a bill for taxes etc after it is delivered?  I know that when an item is shipped by mail and marked as a merchandise return, there usually isn't any taxes charged but I'm not sure how that works with couriers.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

How do you send the buyer a return shipping label? I have a buyers remorse and I have to pay the return shipping. I am in Canada if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help!

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Replied on the thread that you started.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Yes, it appears to be exactly that with Fed Ex for customs duty and taxes after package was delivered. 

Janet and Paul
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I got one of those for a non-eBay purchase the other day.

$14CDN--$4 BC sales tax+ GST and $10 FedEx brokerage fee on a $60CDN purchase.

I shoulda bought it from the eBayer with the GSP account.  (Nah, not really.) (And eBay was more expensive as was Amazon.)

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

This bill pertains to a vintage purse posted for sale on ebay, bought and then returned. About a month later, I got the bill from FedEx as noted.

Janet and Paul
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

It helps to be very specific with buyers when returns are being made across borders.  If we give them all the details about what to put on the label, such as Value, Country of Origin, Merchandise Return, Return for Repairs (if relevant), then no duties or taxes will be assessed.  Also specify which carrier and service you would like them to use - it will help to avoid these types of billings.  When dealing with valuable items for which the buyer may have paid duty, it's helpful to let them know how to apply for a refund when returning

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

You should be able to get back any taxes and duty CRA although I doubt that you can recover the service fees from Fedex.

As a note for others in the future...whenever someone is returning an item from another country, ask them to use the mail service,not a courier and ask them to mark the item as returned merchandise.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

It has happened to me once.

I did not pay the bill and when they phoned me I told them I had no intention of paying it. They can't go after you because they have no proof you sent it. I am pretty sure they then went after the shipper/buyer for the bill cause she emailed me and complained.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You're right, I meant to mention that.  Fedex has the 'contract' with the sender, not the person who received it so they can't force the receiver to pay but they will go after the person who sent the item.  In this case, I don't think it is really fair that the buyer would have to pay the extra amount unless the seller specifically told them not to use a courier. Most buyers...especially Americans..have no idea how much an international delivery by courier can cost us.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

If it is buyer changed mind situation it is not fair for the seller to have to pay.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

The seller is only supposed to pay return shipping if the item was not as described, not if the buyer just changed their mind.

But in original poster's situation, the bill they received was not for shipping, it was for courier fees, duty and taxes.  They shouldn't have received that either but the buyer probably didn't know that is what would happen if they used a courier.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply