Here is a promo but very restricted as invite only and people are just getting it now

22 REPLIES 22

Here is a promo but very restricted as invite only and people are just getting it now

Not sure if .ca is getting it or not.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

From the US boards

"Ok, here's the deal.

I just spoke with a US Rep and she explained that for the invite-only promotions they determine  how many sellers they want to give them to, and they are done by lottery method. There's no reason why someone would not be invited if they meet all the criteria, except if their ID wasn't chosen.

The last one in July was done the same way, but more accounts were invited to participate."

ain't life and Ebay grand. If you are not one of the chosen ones, literally, you are out of luck

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I have to wonder, what genius came up with restrictions and lotteries, to list on a site, that generates income from sales.  I should think, there should be as many incentives to sellers as possible.  On a different topic, I find, there's not much point in listing.  Lately, nobody is neither looking nor buying.  So, for me, the promos are moot.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I didn't get it. I wonder how many sellers  did actually get it?

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

On dotCOM someone posted the usual moan about 'no sales eBay is dying' which amazingly was followed by few dozen posters saying that July was 'Best month ever!'. 'On track with other Julys' 'Sales are solid', etc.

I'm firmly of the opinion that if you can't make a profit listing an item at 30 cents a month, then you should be looking at your business plan.

You make money when you buy.

You get sales when you list.

The fewer competitors you have, the more likely you are to sell.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Very restricted indeed. Only for selected store subscriber.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

I was not invited.

The promotion appears to be available on eBay.ca:

http://pages.ebay.ca/promo/2015/0801/DoubleZIF.html

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

I didn't receive it either.  Odd, because aside from the most recent promo in July, I've received an invitation to every .ca listing promo that was run since they began. 

There may be something to the report of selection by lottery, which I think is a rather stupid idea.  Perhaps it used to be by merit (sellers with highest seller rating), but they wanted to restrict the number of participating sellers further, for what reason I can't even guess.  

My only guess is that the whole promo concept was just a big, year-long experiment by eBay.  Remember the early promos that gave out hundreds of thousands of free listings?  That was ridiculous unless you had thousands of employees to churn out listings.  Lately it's been more like 1,000 which seems far more reasonable.  Now it's hit and miss.  I wouldn't be surprised if eBay winds the whole idea down completely. 

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I'm firmly of the opinion that if you can't make a profit listing an item at 30 cents a month, then you should be looking at your business plan.

I'd agree with you generally speaking.  However the promos allow me to boost the number of items I have listed well above my allotted 150 .ca store listings (I don't normally use my 150 on .com, for various reasons that mainly have to do with shipping).  This usually helps, in some unfathomable way, to garner a few extra sales (i.e. having a larger number of listings than the store limit). 

If the promos are well-timed, I can manage to go months without paying for those extra listings.  As items sell, I add to the "surplus" listed group for the next promo.  Granted, it isn't a big savings, but these days I'm trying to cut small corners on a number of fronts, so every dollar helps. 

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

Didn't get it. Last promo was in the beginning of July. Summer months usually very slow and no help for sellers from ebay. Tried actions from $0.99 and only reached $2-7 in sale. Listing fee for unsold items is sky high. I hope that another promo coming soon.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

rose-dee: I guess we didn't win the lottery!

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

"Listing fee for unsold items is sky high"

???

In the "good old days" sellers were paying eBay a minimum of $0.60 (and more for higher priced listings) to list at auction for seven days and have an image ("gallery") shown in search results.  Yes, a minimum of $0.60.  And there was no refund as we have now if the item sold.  I still remember the days when "store listings" (fixed price BIN) had lower listings fees but were NOT shown in search results.

Over the years eBay has moved fees away from listing and more towards transactions by generally lowering listing fees and increasing FVFs.

Overall, eBay is still one of the best value you can find online IF your items attract buyers.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Listing fee for unsold items is sky high"

???

In the "good old days" sellers were paying eBay a minimum of $0.60 (and more for higher priced listings) to list at auction for seven days and have an image ("gallery") shown in search results.  Yes, a minimum of $0.60.  And there was no refund as we have now if the item sold.  I still remember the days when "store listings" (fixed price BIN) had lower listings fees but were NOT shown in search results.

Over the years eBay has moved fees away from listing and more towards transactions by generally lowering listing fees and increasing FVFs.

Overall, eBay is still one of the best value you can find online IF your items attract buyers.

In the "good old days" (for me 2009 when I started selling on eBay) when you paid for an auction listing insertion fee (25 cents for start price under $9.99 and 50 cents for under $25 ??), I had a sell through rate of 25%+ on first listing, another 10% selling on second relist with insertion fee credit given back, bidding on the auction and even bidding wars. I always listed at the lowest price I wanted to make a profit after costs. Well worth the paying of an insertion fee for a listing.

So I do have to agree with the the poster that today's insertions fees if applicable (so many free listing so why pay) are outrageous because there is a much smaller chance of a listing selling let alone getting views or even being seen in search once by someone (not guaranteed to be seen by eBay).

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I'd agree with you generally speaking.  However the promos allow me to boost the number of items I have listed well above my allotted 150 .ca store listings (I don't normally use my 150 on .com, for various reasons that mainly have to do with shipping).  This usually helps, in some unfathomable way, to garner a few extra sales (i.e. having a larger number of listings than the store limit). 

If the promos are well-timed, I can manage to go months without paying for those extra listings.  As items sell, I add to the "surplus" listed group for the next promo.  Granted, it isn't a big savings, but these days I'm trying to cut small corners on a number of fronts, so every dollar helps. 

I also have what you refer to as a "surplus" list.  There are about 50 items I have ready to go whenever I receive a promotion invitation.  These are small ticket items -- under $10.  They do sell eventually, but they're not worth 30 cents a month since some of them are listed for months and months before they sell.  But, when they are viewed, I think it leads to potential buyers viewing my other items and could generate a few additional sales.  Because sales have been so poor the last few months, I can't afford to purchase more inventory so I have fewer items for sale.  As well, I purchased a lot of items from the U.S., which is no longer cost beneficial given the exchange rate.  So I'm pinching pennies now and am so appreciative for every promotion that comes along.

(I know that so many sellers don't advocate selling items under $10; they think it's a waste of time, but every sale, no matter how small, is welcomed by me.)

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pity this promo came really late as lots of my unsold items disappeared 3 days!  Had it came before my unsold items disappeared, I would be able to "relist" them and now I have to start all over, meaning more time consuming.  Darn eBay!!  They could offer the promo for auction-style format once every week and the last time was early May.  Thanks eBay for nothing!!

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

"In the "good old days" sellers were paying eBay a minimum of $0.60 (and more for higher priced listings) to list at auction for seven days and have an image ("gallery") shown in search results.  Yes, a minimum of $0.60.  And there was no refund as we have now if the item sold.  I still remember the days when "store listings" (fixed price BIN) had lower listings fees but were NOT shown in search results."

I remember selling in 2003 and sure I paid listing fees, but I had a 90% sell through rate, over 100 views on every item and at least 5 bids on each item.  I sold Ladies clothing at the time.  I also priced it at the lowest $ that I would accept.  Something that would sell for $80+ then now only sells for $20 fixed price.  Those days are gone, different market now.  

Now I sell CD's which are not the best thing but they still sell. Sometimes I have to list it for a few months before the right buyer comes along.  The views are only 2-10 over a month.  I really like the promo's as they allow me to list a lot of the CD's at once for a month.  I do sell on other venues and yes they are slow, only a couple of sales there.  

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

Take a look at: http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m08/i04/s02

If the story is true, then I am not one of eBay's "most valuable subscribers"

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

"These are small ticket items -- under $10.  They do sell eventually, but they're not worth 30 cents a month since some of them are listed for months and months before they sell.  But, when they are viewed, I think it leads to potential buyers viewing my other items and could generate a few additional sales."

This has been exactly my experience too, even though we sell in very different categories.  I can no longer justify paying listing fees for all the lower-priced items I would like to sell.  They wait for the promotions. 

"Because sales have been so poor the last few months, I can't afford to purchase more inventory so I have fewer items for sale." 

I think this must be the unfortunate irony of the current situation on eBay for many, many "boutique" sellers.  Fewer sales = less money to spend on offering more items or more variety = fewer items to list = fewer sales, and on and on in a circle.  

In my own case, I'm reprinting my sold out or low inventory patterns less often.  I used to reprint every 3 or 4 months, now I can only afford it every 6 to 8 months.  As a result, the more popular designs (which tend to sell out first) may have a listing "gap" of several months, resulting in a sales deficit.  

You know, while we're all reminiscing about the "good old days", I agree completely with 'pococomputing'  that even though I paid more a few years ago for listing just about everything, and there was no such thing as a listing promo, I had a reliable overall turnover of nearly 100% in 3 to 4 months -- and I was listing fewer items then too, usually only 70 to 80 at a time.  

Now I'm regularly listing between 130 and 180, yet so far 2015 has been extremely poor in comparison to previous years.  I actually didn't think it could get slower than it was in 2014, but here I am, doing worse yet working harder at it (and this is the case despite having hung onto my TRS and "clean" seller record).  Items that used to sell within literally a few days up until mid-2013 are now languishing for weeks or months, even though those types of items are still getting higher views and "watchers" than anything else I sell.  Is it just that people are less willing to make discretionary purchases these days? 

The question is whether regular listing promos are actually making the situation as a whole on eBay worse or better.  With fewer actual buyers, is it better to have floods of inventory or not?   I get the impression eBay has been experimenting with promos to see what the effect will be, since they keep changing the parameters and restrictions.  

Message 19 of 23
latest reply