Hi, I am a seller based in Canada, trying to find best rates for shipping.

Hello,

I am a new seller based in Canada. I have been researching shipping costs for a while now and was wondering if any other Canadian sellers have better rates then the ones I found. I am shipping magazines (14"x11"x 1") (1 lb or less) and ads (14"x11"x .5") (less than 1 lb). The best shipping method I could find for DOMESTIC with Canada Post is Oversized Letter (registered) $12.55. For USA it would be Tracked Packet - USA with Delivery confirmation and Insurance $16.75. International rates were over $40. I have read articles from other sellers stating lower rates or flat rates but these don't include delivery confirmation or insurance. If anyone has  lower rates or other methods of shipping I would really appreciate your input. 

Thanks for your time,

Carol

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Ah good on you with the stamps, lol. I was going to check out Paypal for the things you mentioned. I am taking from your post that I should forget about tracking and insurance and self insure instead for the lesser value items.

I have one last question about Lettermail. The ads I sell are right at the max dimensions (38 cm x 27cm x 2cm), however I can't find a rigid mailer with those dimensions so I bought one from staples (36.2 cm x 28.6 cm). Anyone have an idea if Canada Post would accept this mailer even though the width is 3/4 of an inch larger than the max size? Or would anyone know where I could get cheap mailers with the right dimensions? 

Thanks for your help,

Carol

Message 21 of 41
latest reply

Hi mr. elmwood

Thanks for your input. I agree that paying for tracking and insurance on the items I am selling would kill the sales. I'm trying to get my shipping costs as low as possible, so will have to look into self-insuring.

Thanks,

Carol

Message 22 of 41
latest reply

I think that if you put it in the mailbox rather than give it to the post office counter staff, it is more likely that they won't notice. But...you never know.

I would use a regular brown business envelope with a some sort of stiffener (a piece of cardboard or something similar). Rigid envelopes are often too expensive.

Message 23 of 41
latest reply

I use corplast for stiffeners when I can get it. This is the corrugated plastic board that were all over lawns and street corners during the recent municipal elections.

It's cheap and very light. Less than a centimetre thick.

Then the item (mostly postcards for me) goes in a poly envelope, purchased on eBay from China. These envelopes are waterproof and practically indestructible.

Message 24 of 41
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestion pjcdn, my luck they will notice, lol. Going to post office tomorrow to do a dry run and see if they will take it.

Carol

Message 25 of 41
latest reply

Corplast, that's an idea, definitely won't bend that's for sure. I was thinking about poly mailers but I couldn't find the right size for the dimensions of my ads that would meet the requirements for Oversized LetterMail and Light Packet.

Thanks Femmefan,

Carol

Message 26 of 41
latest reply

You may find coreplast in recycling deports (from election signs) or you can buy it new.  If you use a lot, it is not expensive.

It is generally available in art supply stores in sheets of 4' x 8' (they sell them to artists for sign making)  Most stores will accommodate you and cut it in three pieces (48"x32") to fit in your car.  Also available in most building supply stores such as Rona and Home Depot, etc...

Prices vary from $20 to $30 per sheet which works out to only $0.70 to $1.00 per square foot.

Many stores sell smaller size than 4'x8' but you should expect to pay substantially more for the convenience.

If you eventually use a lot (I used to buy 10 sheets at the time before I retired) discounts are available.

Coreplast is 4mm thick and weights very little, less than heavy cardboard.

Message 27 of 41
latest reply

Thanks for all the info Pierre, sounds like a better deal than buying backing board. The only thing that concerns me is the fact that it is ridged. Some of the ads I am selling are quite old and the paper is a bit fragile, I guess i could place a thin sheet of cardboard between the ad and the coroplast...

Thanks,

Carol

Message 28 of 41
latest reply

I find Canada Post is the best. I have shopped around with UPS, FedEx and the whole works and I always find Canada Post is the most affordable for my clients and for me.

Message 29 of 41
latest reply

I make my own backing boards from recycled boxes when needed. I have a few pieces made for when I need them. This tip is for sellers who need just some backing boards occasionally.

I recycle thin corrugated paper (1-1.5 mm thick) boxes like used on some boxes. I cut the corrugated paper to size I want with the corrugated "grain" running one way and then the same size with the corrugated "grain" the other way.  Then I use white school glue on the printed sides and glue together with a couple of heavy books on top on a flat surface to get a firm bond.

The result is a sheet of cardboard with the thickness of a typical cardboard box or coroplast plastic board with clean non printed brown inside of box showing. With the corrugated "grain" going in both directions, it is stronger against bending than a single sheet of corrugated cardboard with one "grain".

The result is a "free" (time and glue needed) relatively light backing material that looks professional in appearance.

I do have some plastic coroplast from recycled signs but keep it for items that need lighter weight to meet a shipping weight break point. I have not needed to use this since I started making my own two grain backing boards a couple of years ago.

Another alternative that I have not tried but should work is to sandwich your flat item between two pieces of thin or thick corrugated cardboard with each piece cut with the grain in a different direction. The opposing directions of the corrugated cardboard should result in a package that is more bend resistant.Tape the sides firmly and it should withstand normal mail abuse and more. The issue with this is that you have to make sure the printed side with inks is not used if the cardboard has printing.

Message 30 of 41
latest reply

Thanks pocomo,

I just bought a box cutter today because I was going to cut up a nice corrugated box and make some inserts, you must have read my mind, lol. I like the idea of crossing the grains, never thought of that.

Carol

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

Thanks for the reply friepete, I agree, after a couple of weeks of bouncing around shipping sites, going to Canada post, playing with rates, I have finally decided to go with Canada Post, sent my first package a few days ago and it arrived safely so looks like it will work for me.

Carol

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

Hi,

From my point of view, I will go with letter oversize postal service for your your low value listing (Canada and USA) and for your regular int'l buyers... Canada and USA postal service are very reliable and if your package is not claim or post with an incorrect address you should get it back.

Other than that I will choose something with tracking or registred (if available).

Cheers,

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

I hate our shipping costs.  I get messages all the time from buyers complaining about them but we can't change it.  I won't send without tracking, there's no many bad buyers on ebay.  Even if I sell something that's not worth much I won't risk it, refunding $20 wouldn't bother me but if someone leaves negative feedback because you can't prove they got something that could loose you a high value sale in the future

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

"but if someone leaves negative feedback because you can't prove..."

Negative feedback can be given by any buyer for any reason (including high shipping cost) if they are unhappy with the transaction.  It has nothing to do with you proving receipt.

Your DSR rating of 4.5 is much more damaging than a negative feedback.

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

If you do everything properly, describe your item & show it then you shouldn't have to worry about negative feedback being left for no reason. When you look at sellers feedback most negative feedback says the same thing- "item not recieved"
As a buyer I don't even look at DSR's & I don't think anyone else does. It's the feedback & feedback % that people look at. Same with leaving a DSR, if someone charges me $20 & I see they spent $5 then I give them a low rating on shipping charges. If they charge me $50 & it cost them $50 they get 5 stars because that's not thier fault & I'm sure most buyers leave a DSR with the same mindset
Message 37 of 41
latest reply

" I don't think anyone else does"

eBay does.  Low DSRs may affect your ability to list on eBay.

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

Thanks rock, 

I agree Oversized Letter is the way to go, wish the Canada Post site would show Light Packet as an option, took me awhile to find out about it.

Carol

Message 39 of 41
latest reply

Thanks for the info rock, I had a hard time finding the right size mailer because my ads were at the max dimension for Letter mail. I ended up having to trim my ads to 13 3/4" x 10 1/4" and using a #5 mailer (15" X 10 1/2"). Then i have to tape the seams to the back of the mailer and trim the top down to get it all to be 14" x 10.5" so I can send it Lettermail, LOL, crazy !!!

Message 40 of 41
latest reply