Hockey Cards

How well do old hockey cards sell? Thinking of getting into selling those.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hockey Cards

Do some research through "completed listings" and "sold listings" and you will find out.

Currently over 1,024,000 "hockey card" listings on eBay.com (950,000 of those at fixed price)

Of the 846,000 fixed price listings completed so far this year, only 135,000 sold (about 16%). 

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Hockey-/216/i.html?_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=hockey+ca...

At first sight, it appear it takes about 6 months on average (from day of listing) to sell a card listed on eBay at fixed price.  Some sell faster, some take longer, a large percentage never sell due to lack of interest or too high a price (including shipping) for the value.

Looking at the cards sold at auction, prices realized (paid by auction buyer) seem to be very low and generally do not justify the time and cost to acquire, list, sell, package and ship:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Hockey-/216/i.html?_from=R40&LH_Auction=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=hocke...

Do your own research based on the cards you have.  However, to be very candid, there is a lot of competition by established sellers: do not expect too much.

Good Luck.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

99% of cards from the 80's and mostly 90's are worthless and I mean fire starter worthless .... Research for sure it is not at all a sellers market unless you find rare cards..

I found out my entire 20,000 cars colletion is worth about 10% of what I originally paid for it ... Nobody would even buy it off me

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

There are literally billions of cards out there. I have seen listings of full pallets, and, I mean 4' X 4' X 6', going for a few dollars.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

Im a card collector and small card seller myself. Unless you have access to the newest stuff in the current year such as auto's ser #'d and rookie stuff, I would be very careful what you invest in. 

Like some others her have suggested, Stay AWAY from 1988-2002 cards. You can buy early 90's cards typically around $3 per 1000 cards, and generally you can get them for free.

I have literally around 100,000 cards from 1990's that I bought off a card shop several years ago (paid next to nothing for it) I use old cards as support during shipping for cards I do sell.  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

I know someone that purchased 1.6 million hockey cards 80's and 90's cards for 1.25 cents each. After 3 years and lots of trying he still has only a quarter of his money back.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

The hockey card as well as most sports memorabilia is saturated. It has been like this for some time now.. Should have started 10 to 15 years ago. If you are trying to get top buck, you maybe disappointed. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

I was only asking .25 cents each. I'm not sure they will sell. I already have the cards. It's my husbands collection from 1990 (the ones he is not keeping...doubles, etc.)

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

Even the used husband market is saturated.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

Perhaps you could change the category?  Wood stove season is coming up, much too fast. You could try selling them as 'tinder'.

Not all collectibles will increase in value. Most will not even hold their value against inflation. This is especially true of collectibles sold as collectibles.

Other weak categories would include collector plates, most of the Lennox and Franklin Mint output, probably Swarovski crystal tchotckes, modern mint postage stamps, coffee table books and most Olympic merchandise.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

"Collectible" is an old Swahili word that means "I can't believe we sold all this junk for retail".

I laugh at car listings that list a rusty sedan as soon to be collectible. Really? Name one person on this planet that collects rusty 6 cyl sedans, that were mass produced.
Photobucket
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

He paid ten times more than he should have.  99.9% of this stuff has value as wallpaper, only.  If you are going to spend money on cards - check eBay to see what gets listed and what sells.  Then, your friend can buy intelligently.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hockey Cards

@puckstopshere wrote:

He paid ten times more than he should have.  99.9% of this stuff has value as wallpaper, only.  If you are going to spend money on cards - check eBay to see what gets listed and what sells.  Then, your friend can buy intelligently.

Not much point replying to a two year old thread.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply