How To Refund and Ensure I Get My FVF

I am waiting for the product in order to refund the buyer.  I found the instructions below on how to issue a refund but wanted to know if there is something else that I need to do so that this transaction goes smoothly - basically so that I don't get any defect, reject or whatever else we could get - LOL.

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/refund-buyer.html
To issue a refund with PayPal

Thanks!

You only fail when you don't try!
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

After you refund let the buyer know that you will be cancelling the transaction with ebay and that they will receive a message from ebay asking if they agree to the cancellation. As far as getting a defect...it depends on why the item is being refunded. If you file the cancellation and state that the buyer changed mind/made mistake you won't get a defect. But if you put that the the item wasn't as described, you will get a defect.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

The item is being refunded because the buyer wanted a bigger one - but the measurements were in the listing.

1) So, I guess need to file a cancellation once the item is returned?

2) And, can I just put that they changed their mind/made mistake?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

1) So, I guess need to file a cancellation once the item is returned?

yes, but refund first

2) And, can I just put that they changed their mind/made mistake?

Yes, the buyer made a mistake so that reason would work.

I'm assuming that the buyer hasn't opened a case....if they did,  you will get a defect. You might be able to get it removed by phoning CS but I've heard that it can be a lot of work to get them to remove it.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Are you exchanging or simply refunding? If exchanging why not just mail out what they want?
Photobucket
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

pjcdn2005:

No, the buyer hasn't opened a case.  I got an email saying the item is on it's way and I replied saying that I will refund once I receive it.

mr.elmwood:

The buyer wanted to exchange but did not have what was requested so I am refunding.

Thanks

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Just wondering....

Why would on get a defect when doing the right thing?  The customer is returning the item, I'm returning their money - why a defect?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

After you refund let the buyer know that you will be cancelling the transaction with ebay and that they will receive a message from ebay asking if they agree to the cancellation. As far as getting a defect...it depends on why the item is being refunded. If you file the cancellation and state that the buyer changed mind/made mistake you won't get a defect. But if you put that the the item wasn't as described, you will get a defect.

Did Not Work for me!!!!

I refunded a buyer and sent a request to cancel.

I chose  the option that the buyer changed her mind and we had great communication and chatted quite a bit.

She agreed to that option and understood the reason for it.

VERY friendly and she left great PFB.

The buyer was unable to agree to the cancellation even though she tried many many times.

It could have been a glitch or eBay could be onto that.

In any case, my case remains open with the buyer blocked from responding.

I don't know what will happen once the deadline passes.  Maybe I'll get my fees back or maybe not.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

After a week you can close it on your own, choosing that you no longer want to communicate with the buyer.

That worked for me.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

That's what I think too.

The buyer was told that it's not a "Proper request to cancel" among other things but she was blocked from all sides.

She really tried for me.

I suppose one has to choose the option that the buyer is returning for  a refund if a payment has been made.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Gold, after the seventh day, close it on your own. I had a very similar situation and the buyer couldn't, did not know how to, what ever, close, so I did.
Photobucket
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@greenmangoes wrote:

Just wondering....

Why would on get a defect when doing the right thing?  The customer is returning the item, I'm returning their money - why a defect?

Ebay's theory is that if the customer was returning the item because you had made a mistake in the listing then it is a defect because the buyer did not have a 'good buying experience'  Even if you let the buyer keep the item, refunded them in full and then cancelled using a reason that suggested the cancellation was the seller's fault, you would get a defect.

The seller isn't at fault in your case so you shouldn't get a defect.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Did Not Work for me!!!!

There was a glitch that wasn't allowing buyers to close cancel requests. If you opened one around that time, you may have to phone ebay to get a fvf credit. If it closes on its own after 60 days you will not get your fees back. But first do as Mr E suggested and close it yourself if it has been 7 full days.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

That could be it.

Thanks.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@greenmangoes wrote:

Just wondering....

Ebay's theory is that if the customer was returning the item because you had made a mistake in the listing then it is a defect because the buyer did not have a 'good buying experience'  Even if you let the buyer keep the item, refunded them in full and then cancelled using a reason that suggested the cancellation was the seller's fault, you would get a defect.

The seller isn't at fault in your case so you shouldn't get a defect.

OK.  Thanks!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply