How USPS handles the mail-- posted from eBaydotCOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX16-52bHvg

From 2014, and something of a puffpiece, but it does emphasize the necessity for careful packaging.

Not because the shipment will get some rough handling, but because there is so darn much passing through the terminals each hour.

I seem to remember that Nancy 'Civil Service Songwriter' Wilson once recording a lament about the Mississauga Gateway Plant called "Seven Million Letters a Day".

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@mjwl2006 wrote:
I don't share your experience with domestic oversize lettermail. Maybe there is a problem specific to your hub.

As I mentioned above, having lived in both Vancouver and Victoria for many years (over 30 between the two), and experiencing shipping from both points, it's been a common complaint that things take longer to go from west to east than the reverse.  

Again, I suspect the size of the province of BC, along with all the various ferry schedules and no doubt the topography, are a significant part of the issue.  Imagine what it takes to collect mail from all over Vancouver Island (itself the size of Nova Scotia), Haida Gwaii, all the islands in between, the north of BC as far as the Yukon border, all the interior points deep in the Rockies, and the thousands of mailing boxes all over the lower mainland, to sort them in one place (which I believe is the Richmond plant), to go off to points east.  It's actually a small miracle when you consider the logistics.

Now that I'm in Nova Scotia, getting domestic lettermail from here to BC (at least to major centres in BC) is always faster than it ever was the other way around.  Also, ironically, when I lived in Victoria I used to be able to ship items to California in under 4 days, whereas it could take a week or more to get to Ontario.  And like 'music', I used non-tracked methods (mostly Light Packet to the U.S. and lettermail domestically).  

Unfortunately buyers aren't always cognizant of these realities and can have unrealistic expectations, likely because big retailers have got them used to lightning-fast shipping from major centres nearby.  

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

hlmacdon
Community Member

@femmefan1946 wrote:

From 2014, and something of a puffpiece, but it does emphasize the necessity for careful packaging.

Especially as it pertains to bubble mailers. Snap, crackle, pop....crunch. I've had their sorting machines turn a triple walled box into an accordion so I always wince when I receive a US shipment in a bubble mailer because someone wanted to save 10 cents.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Winnipeg has a new sorting facility... built only a few years ago.

It is mail in one end... and mail out the other end...  a few if any actual... people.... in between

How many people actual touch the mail?

Based on the USPS video... very few if any... other than the person that mails it.... and then the person that delivers it

and a lot of robotniks in between

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

I always provide "gorilla" proof packaging to my customers to ensure their packages arrive safely.

You get what you pay for.... 

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Me too. I pack with the assumption someone will drop it and stomp on it twice before picking it up. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

The 'somebody' here is a robot, of course.

One thing, from several visits to the Ottawa Processing Plant, is that the video producers reduced the noise level considerably.

None of the workers were wearing earmuffs/headsets.

My experience was that, except in the handstamp room, the noise was literally deafening. All conversations were in a shout and workers tended to speak pretty loudly even outside the plant.

The handstamp room should be explained.

We shipped a few hundred catalogues four or five times a year.

As stamp dealers we used older postage stamps to pay shipping.

And as stamp collectors our customers moaned about pen cancels and even bar cancels.

So.

The plant, and I suppose every plant, has a room where workers on partial disability (say a sprained ankle) would handstamp some of the mail.

Weird shapes, too small for the machines, and of course our highly decorative envelopes.

Our delivery of the catalogues was greeted with some enthusiasm, since the job was pretty repetitive for the most part.

And our customers were happy too.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I'm thinking the guy driving the truck who's mad he carried it to the door only to have to carry it back when the receiver wasn't home.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Well, that's not really fair of me to say. We have a really great letter carrier now. In the suburbs. When I lived in the Village... no, not at all...
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Puff-piece it may be, but pretty impressive nonetheless.  Thanks for posting that link, it's illuminating.  And this video didn't even deal with how the mountains of mail that arrive at airports in the U.S. everyday from elsewhere in the world are handled.  

Besides careful packing, I would think that using digital labels might help to ensure more accurate reading and interpretation of the destination address.  I had no idea their computers would scan addresses and compare them to a national "address book", but that obviously makes sense.  

From my own perspective, having sold mainly to the U.S. for over 10 years, I can say USPS has been incredibly efficient and reliable.  I have never, in all that time, had a single item go astray or get lost entirely, and much of that (in earlier years) was not tracked. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I agree, it was great of femmefan1946 to share that.  

I am really impressed with USPS since I started using them solely for US mail.  A piece of mail was dropped off in Blaine, Washington on Saturday and delivered in New York city on the following Monday with tracking.  I have had several examples of that.  

In Canada I can mail something on Monday from Vancouver to Nanaimo and it won't get delivered until Friday.  This happened last week.  

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

What is the delivery standard for that? If it was exceeded, you claim your postage back and you'll get it refunded. If it was sent untracked, well... that's the reason you don't.
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

In Canada I can mail something on Monday from Vancouver to Nanaimo and it won't get delivered until Friday.  This happened last week.  

Ah yes, when I lived on Vancouver Island (for over 17 years) this was a common complaint.  Someone who worked for Canada Post explained it to me once, and it had something to do with the way items are sorted once they reach the Island (i.e. I believe they said the items get delivered to the Victoria facility first, then mixed with Island mail and sorted from there).  The same sort of delay would happen if you mailed a letter from Ladysmith to Nanaimo.  The ferry schedules may also play a role with mail coming from the mainland.  

I imagine volume and efficiency are everything where postal systems are concerned.  USPS has the volume, and a well-connected, well populated network of towns and cities to service it.  Canada's network consists of small bits of population separated in many cases by hundreds of kilometers and strung out over thousands.  I actually have to give Canada Post credit for doing as much as they do, given the constraints they have to work with.  

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Hi Mj, I think that your post was in reference to my response.  I sell CD's mostly under $10, no buyer will pay for expedited shipping on them.  They are sent oversize letter mail in Canada and it takes almost 2 weeks to get from Vancouver to Ontario.  My comparison was with the speed of USPS as opposed to Canada Post. All are CD's sent with economy postage both in Canada and the US.   In the US, tracking is on everything except letter mail.  

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

It was. If you're not mailing with tracking, how do you know how long something takes to be delivered? It would seem an estimate to me without the data to show.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

I know because the guy in Nanaimo, I communicated with him a couple of times during the week, he really wanted the CD and thought he would get it by Wed.

With the Ontario ones, a lot email me as to when it arrived.  It just has been taking that long.  

received.jpg

Sometimes sending it to the UK or Sweden it arrives way before the Ontario ones.  

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

I don't share your experience with domestic oversize lettermail. Maybe there is a problem specific to your hub.
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

As I mentioned above, having lived in both Vancouver and Victoria for many years (over 30 between the two), and experiencing shipping from both points, it's been a common complaint that things take longer to go from west to east than the reverse.  

Again, I suspect the size of the province of BC, along with all the various ferry schedules and no doubt the topography, are a significant part of the issue.  Imagine what it takes to collect mail from all over Vancouver Island (itself the size of Nova Scotia), Haida Gwaii, all the islands in between, the north of BC as far as the Yukon border, all the interior points deep in the Rockies, and the thousands of mailing boxes all over the lower mainland, to sort them in one place (which I believe is the Richmond plant), to go off to points east.  It's actually a small miracle when you consider the logistics.

Now that I'm in Nova Scotia, getting domestic lettermail from here to BC (at least to major centres in BC) is always faster than it ever was the other way around.  Also, ironically, when I lived in Victoria I used to be able to ship items to California in under 4 days, whereas it could take a week or more to get to Ontario.  And like 'music', I used non-tracked methods (mostly Light Packet to the U.S. and lettermail domestically).  

Unfortunately buyers aren't always cognizant of these realities and can have unrealistic expectations, likely because big retailers have got them used to lightning-fast shipping from major centres nearby.  

Message 17 of 17
latest reply