How can Ebay be so inefficient/

ca_cunn
Community Member

I have tonight contacted Ebay and instructed them to cancel my account.  This has resulted from an over abundance of frustration as a buyer.  I have spent in excess of sixty houyrs, yes I kept track, trying to resolve issues that were either Ebay or Paypal originated and have only been met with unfulfilled promises and 'we are sorry for your experience.'

Case in point, on 6 January 2016 I bought an item,  I was away and on 10 January 2016 the seller initiated a non paying bidder claim, I immediately paid the bill and assumed all was well.  Not so! 

The payment remained 'unclaimed' for a couple of  days so I thought I had made an error and sent it again and contacted the seller.  He advised me that there was still no money in his account and I sent it a third time. Still did not show up in his account.  Contacted Paypal and received promises of issue resolution, several more days pass nothing happens except I have paid $90.00 for a thirty dollar item.  Contacted Paypal and was told it was and Ebay issue.  Contacted Ebay and was told it was a Paypal issue.  Finally found out from Paypal that this seller even though allowed to sell  on Ebay he could not accept payment.  That issue remains unresolved to this day.

Purchased another item. tried to send payment but was advised I would have to use an E-check.  Back to Paypal, back  to eEbay and was generally tennis balled for several hours.  Demanded to speak to a supervisor who was able to let me pay for my purchase.

Tonight tried to make a payment for another item and still being forced to use Echecks. Back to Ebay, and repeat all previous dances.  Finally had reached my limit and told them either they cancel any and all outstanding bids and close my account or I was about to cancel all bids myself and advise the sellers exactly why.  No one, and I mean no one, seems willing to take an issue and fix it.  I can't so business this way and have so much frustration.  So buh bye Ebay there are other venues.  I have posted this so all sellers may be aware of how Ebay/Paypal treats your clients. I doubt it will remain visible for any significant length of time.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

EBay usually takes a few months to close accounts when this is requested. Probably to make sure that any outstanding fees etc can be paid.

The main problem seems to be Paypal.

Do you have a credit card attached to your PP account? This is the best way, in my opinion, to pay on eBay. Not only is the payment instant to the seller, but you can pay it off at your leisure. And you have the backup protection of the card's chargeback program.

I gather you are instead using a PP balance to purchase, transferring money in from time to time as you need it.

When there is not enough money in your balance, PP will go to your bank account for the payment. Thus the echeques.

What is the amount showing in your PP balance? (Don't tell me, just go check.)

If it is not enough to cover your earliest problem purchase, PP would go to your bank balance. But it's one or the other. PP will not take $5 from your PP balance and $10 from your bank account to cover a $15 payment, for example. They will take the full $15 from your bank balance.

(Again, with a credit card, you don't have to have any actual money, just $15 left in credit.)

I wonder if paying your first seller three times overdrew your PP balance, even though the money was unclaimed. 

Have you told PP to reverse those payments? It doesn't sound as if your seller is willing to complete the transaction.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Cancel all transactions...

Wait  to see if everything is adjusted to zero payments, either payments due or paid.

Wait... and then decide what to do.... In the end ...everything should show zero paid on your account..

------------------------------------------------

For that transaction where you paid "three times"

contact seller and ask for a cancellation of this transaction... ask for a refund of all money

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Your issue is with Paypal, they have become ridiculous as far as payments allowed. I have no idea why we bother to confirm a bank account when it cannot be used for instant payments afterwards.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Once you pay for an item on eBay the system will not accept a second payment for that item, let alone a third.

I'm not following how you were able to make three payments for the same item.

I think that would be an eBay problem, but sometimes the customer service reps there have difficulty understanding the problem.

When you called eBay did you speak with someone who's first language is English?

If not, then it might be worth your time to call again and keep asking for a supervisor until you get someone who understands the problem.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

The seller can't refund if they haven't received the money in the first place.

I wonder if the email address is their listing is correct.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

@ca_cunn wrote:

The payment remained 'unclaimed' for a couple of  days so I thought I had made an error and sent it again and contacted the seller.  He advised me that there was still no money in his account and I sent it a third time. Still did not show up in his account. 

If it is unclaimed in your paypal account do you not have a cancel payment option?  If there is just cancel all 3 payments but if not you should get your money back after 30 days if it remains unclaimed.  He probably put the wrong email address in the listing but I would hope he is not just getting you to pay him 3 times.  Your own paypal account should show if the money went through or not.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

How were you able to send the seller 3 payments for the same item?

Did you use the eBay Pay Now button? Once a payment has been made that button is no longer available.

The system is set up so that it's not possible to pay for an item more than once.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I don't know what you bought, but is it possible that there are multiples of the same item listed and you actually bought 3 of them?

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

Did you use the eBay Pay Now button? Once a payment has been made that button is no longer available.

The system is set up so that it's not possible to pay for an item more than once.

The OP says he kept sending payment for the item but if he paid from the eBay buyer purchase page he could not do it more than once.  I thought he must be using the paypal Send Money link and if that goes unclaimed he can get it back.  I get the feeling he did not use the Pay Now button and thought if the money was gone from his pp acc did the seller get him to send money 3 times or else pay a fake invoice.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

I would have made enquiries after the first time the payment did not go through, no way would I keep sending money every time because someone told me to. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@i.am.vivian wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

The OP says he kept sending payment for the item but if he paid from the eBay buyer purchase page he could not do it more than once.  I thought he must be using the paypal Send Money link and if that goes unclaimed he can get it back.  I get the feeling he did not use the Pay Now button and thought if the money was gone from his pp acc did the seller get him to send money 3 times or else pay a fake invoice.  

I thought that as well.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I have no idea why we bother to confirm a bank account when it cannot be used for instant payments afterwards.

The bank account is basically used as identification. We are given a tiny payment into our accounts when we open it, let PP know how much it was, they open the account and retrieve the payment.

But they now know that you are real enough to have been able to open a bank account, which is a much more detailed process.

And the rest of the problem is that 'instant' payments are taken from bank balances immediately, but these are still e-cheques' and have to clear both the Canadian and the American banking systems, because PP is an American company, before the money is transferred to the seller.

But PP balances are truly instant because PP has the money in hand.

And credit cards can be instantly accessed by PP to transfer payment to the seller, because there does not have to be any actual money, just credit.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

When you called eBay did you speak with someone who's first language is English?

If not, then it might be worth your time to call again and keep asking for a supervisor until you get someone who understands the problem.

I have been calling Ebay for 3 days regarding an issue and over multiple attempts (at least a dozen each day) I have been transfered to a call center in the Philipines every time. I have called at different times of day just to make sure that wasn't the issue but no matter what day or time I call I am unable to get an American on the phone except for the initial person who answers and immediately transfers me to another department at which point it's off to the Philipines again.

If Ebay had absolutely any regard for their patrons they would not be using these cut rate 3rd world call centers. You cannot get any level of competent service and even the people who identify themselves as supervisors or managers are clueless.

You used to be able to speak to an American call center if you called during normal business hours but no longer it would seem.

thD

Message 14 of 14
latest reply