How do I know what kind of items are good selling? Is there a report about popular sales ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

How do I know what kind of items are good selling? Is there a report about popular sales ?

Wrong question.

If an item is selling well, many people will be carrying it. Pricing will be very competitive and shipping even more so.

Don't try to sell the popular item.

SELL WHAT YOU KNOW ; KNOW WHAT YOU SELL.

If you are a plumber, sell plumbing parts. If you are a hairdresser, sell beauty supplies. Do you have a hobby?

Look for similar listings to those you have on hand to sell. Consider the descriptions, the titles, the pictures.

Consider the prices and the shipping costs. Change your location to USA and your zipcode to 90210 and look at the shipping cost again.

Can you meet or beat that total cost and still make money? Do you know the difference between markup and profit?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

What Femme says. On top of SELL WHAT YOU KNOW ; KNOW WHAT YOU SELL, most of us turned a hobby, or a B&M business, into an online business.

It is not like I got up one morning and decided to sell car parts. I have been breaking things since I was 16. Thirty years on, I started a business in those things.

What things "are selling good"? It depends what you know. Right now, glove box latches, and trunk latches, are doing very well for me. I have 2/3s of the eBay listings for Sunfire dash vents. What does the average person know about those? Not much, until they break, I wager.

What do you know?

Photobucket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Wrong question.

If an item is selling well, many people will be carrying it. Pricing will be very competitive and shipping even more so.

Don't try to sell the popular item.

SELL WHAT YOU KNOW ; KNOW WHAT YOU SELL.

If you are a plumber, sell plumbing parts. If you are a hairdresser, sell beauty supplies. Do you have a hobby?

Look for similar listings to those you have on hand to sell. Consider the descriptions, the titles, the pictures.

Consider the prices and the shipping costs. Change your location to USA and your zipcode to 90210 and look at the shipping cost again.

Can you meet or beat that total cost and still make money? Do you know the difference between markup and profit?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

What Femme says. On top of SELL WHAT YOU KNOW ; KNOW WHAT YOU SELL, most of us turned a hobby, or a B&M business, into an online business.

It is not like I got up one morning and decided to sell car parts. I have been breaking things since I was 16. Thirty years on, I started a business in those things.

What things "are selling good"? It depends what you know. Right now, glove box latches, and trunk latches, are doing very well for me. I have 2/3s of the eBay listings for Sunfire dash vents. What does the average person know about those? Not much, until they break, I wager.

What do you know?

Photobucket
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thank you so much to give me a excellent advice.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for sharing your successful business story.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply