How does Best Match really work?

I know this is a much discussed topic but can anyone clarify how best match works. I am looking at a particular item I have listed. I have filled out every possible field correctly, offering free shipping to U.S and Canada and am a  Top Rated seller with 100% feedback  since 2005, with all of my correct return policies in place yet when searching the item using best match it is on the very last page. IS this truly what ever potential buyer is seeing when they are looking for items? What can I do to improve visibility? Thanks for your wisdom 🙂

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

You're selling in an extremely crowded category unfortunately, one that includes a lot of professional big retailers, and a lot of U.S. sellers. 

My best guess is that U.S. sellers with Top Rated Plus designation would probably get preferential placement for buyers looking on .com, so where there is an overload of sellers in a category, the U.S. sellers may have an advantage.  Still, where Best Match is concerned (beyond keeping your seller status as high as possible and following best practices), there's a huge gap of unknowns -- and eBay will never share that knowledge with sellers.

One thing I can suggest though:  Given your busy category, you might want to take a close look at what your competitors are doing who are on the first 2 or 3 pages and see if there's anything you can pick up on.  For example, where a category is overloaded, lots of photos of your items in the Gallery may help to grab attention. 

You might also want to try listing an occasional item -- especially a particularly unique or attractive one -- with upgrades (such as Gallery Plus and/or subtitle).  Or run an auction every now and then.  These things may not improve your placement, but the goal is to at least stand out from the crowd if a buyer does get to page 10.

Other than that, if you're doing everything else right, it seems these days the more you list and the more sales you get, the better your visibility may be.  Which in turn favours sellers with a lot of inventory and the resources to display their wares professionally. 

I agree that it has become a lot tougher for the average small seller to get noticed, and I think there are now many more sellers chasing fewer buyers in some categories than there were 2 or 3 years ago. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I took a more careful look at a few of your listings, and I noticed a couple of things that may have some impact on your placement.  We've been told (if you can believe it) that the current eBay placement programme looks at details in a listing, i.e. the descriptive text, as well as other "required" parameters, so the following could be relevant, especially if eBay's programme can recognize discrepancies between policy and the text.

(a) Under your shipping tab, a buyer sees "usually ships within 1 business day", yet in your descriptive text you mention you usually ship within 48 hours. 

(b) I would remove any text in your descriptions that attempts to justify or explain your shipping costs.  Not only could this be annoying to buyers, but it's possible the eBay "bots" may be picking this up too.  I'd just put all shipping details in the Shipping section, and let buyers decide.

(c) Your U.S. shipping rates are really very good, but I think you could do something about your Canadian shipping.  You do realize that you're paying FVFs on every item you sell (even to the U.S.) based on those rather pricey Canadian shipping charges? 

Are the majority of your sales to the U.S. or to Canada? 

If the majority of your sales are to the U.S., I'd suggest reducing your Cdn shipping cost substantially (or showing free shipping domestically) and perhaps increase your item prices by a couple of dollars. 

Offering free shipping to Canada on most or all of your items may be the biggest single thing you can do to help to boost your placement, which could generate better sales and thus make up for any occasional shipping losses to Canada.  If most of your buyers are in Canada, consider offering free shipping on the higher-priced items, reduce the other Canadian shipping costs by at least 30%, and roll some of those costs into U.S. shipping and/or your item prices.

(d)  There appears to be some contradiction in your return policy.  Your return policy (under the Shipping tab) indicates 14 days, but in the details you say: "If I have grossly misrepresented the item we can discuss a return. Please read my desriptions and look carefully at my pictures so you know what you are bidding on. Thanks!"  You might want to consider removing this text.

Realistically, eBay is never, ever going to share with us sellers exactly what makes Best Match tick, but they've given us a lot of hints and guidelines.  Beyond that, I've found that experimenting with different methods of listing and different shipping modalities, is a good way to infer what some of the Best Match criteria are.  If you try something new for 3 months on half of your listings and find your placement improves, you know you should be doing that on every listing.  After you've done everything eBay's policies say you need to do, it is sometimes a matter of trial and error. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@amya4295 wrote:

I know this is a much discussed topic but can anyone clarify how best match works. I am looking at a particular item I have listed. I have filled out every possible field correctly, offering free shipping to U.S and Canada and am a  Top Rated seller with 100% feedback  since 2005, with all of my correct return policies in place yet when searching the item using best match it is on the very last page. IS this truly what ever potential buyer is seeing when they are looking for items? What can I do to improve visibility? Thanks for your wisdom 🙂

The only way to explain this is "THE SEARCH ENGINE IS BROKEN AND EBAY DOES NOT CARE TO FIX IT"

I have been fighting with Ebay for 2 months now trying to get them to fix the search engine as the results that people get from it are not correct in any way shape or form.

In my case I have seen sellers with  almost no feedback,no top seller status, poorly worded and formatted listings, miscategorized listings, show up in the top 50 search results while my own listing was buried 2000 items deep.

I have had Ebay staff agree with me 100% that there is a serious problem yet nothing is done to fix it. I have show many 100% bulletproof examples of the problems with inaccurate and downright wrong search results being returned for keyword searches and yet nothing is done to fix the problem.

The only thing I don't know is why Ebay refuses to fix the problem.

thd

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

In some cases search looks at item specifics so you might want to fill those in more than you do now. In item specifics for clothing I would list the size, measurements, color, fabric, brand, etc.  By doing that, you also give mobile users more information without them having to click on a separate area to see the info in the description.

I believe that search also looks at the number of pictures in the ebay gallery so you really should start putting your pictures there rather than in the description. That also benefits mobile users and makes your listings easier to look at with less scrolling for everyone. You can use the ebay gallery even when you use Auctiva.

The less html that you have in your description area the better....at least that's my opinion..I know that some don't agree. I would also take out the scrolling gallery or at least put it on the bottom so that it is out of the way.

As already suggest, I would also take the majority or all of the shipping info blurbs...there is way too much. That may not affect search but it would make the listings look more professional. I would also take out any reference to feedback. I really doubt that people read those sort of things and if they do look at it when they make the purchase, it's unlikely that they remember any of it when it comes to feedback time.

Consider changing your prices by a cent or two so from $10 to $9.99 or $9.95. Apparently it does make a difference in some cases and may help with sales.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Also...proofread your descriptions..I noticed a few typos and/or spelling mistakes.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Thank you very much for your comments. I really appreciate the close look and information. I know that my Canadian shipping is high but it's unfortunately accurate and I never over charge. I have stared doing some free shipments within Canada when it qualifies as lettermail but for bigger items and a shipping rate of about $14 to the West cost, that is really hard and impossible to build into the price. I will try a few more of these ideas even if It is at a loss to me to see if it works. I will cleanup some of my conflicting text as well. I may have gotten a bit lazy, using the same template for years but adding new requirements that eBay wants without removing some of the old. Thanks again!

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I have seen that too and am mystified and that's what prompted my question. I analyze their listing and cannot  figure out how they rank on the first page.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Thank you. Good advice. I will look at the ebay gallery pictures. Someone noted that before as being an asset for mobile users.

I will start to clean up my template too! Always so worried about my feedback but you are right, it is too wordy!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Frustrated! Just searched one of my items by best match and the very first item that appears is a seller with less than 300 Feedback, not a top rated seller, very high shipping rates, no item detail fields filled out!! The only difference I can see is that she offers world wide shipping and I offer only Canada, U.S? Would this trump my free shipping, top rated, 100% FB and everything populated correctly? Not really sure what benefits we get staying "clean", never getting a neg. over delivering on service if our listing never get found? I'm cleaning up all of my listings using everyone's suggestions and will track to see if I see a difference.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Amta, I've long believed that "worldwide" shipping is one of the things that increases the relative visibility, although it comes with the risk of getting troublesome countries - I'm shipping 2 items to Brazil today, which is almost always a pain one way or the other......
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Much has been written about eBay's Best Match.  Sellers must remember that Best Match is written with the buyer in mind (not the seller).  The point of a search result page is to give that specific buyer what he/she is looking for.

Start here:  http://ssc.channeladvisor.com/howto/optimizing-ebay-best-match-results

http://andrewminalto.com/top-search-position-on-ebay/

Also, criteria do change over time.  We know "free shipping" now accounts for more than 50% of all eBay transactions.  Why?  Because buyers want "free shipping".  So, expect Best Match to give some additional value to listings offering "free shipping".  Because of high shipping costs in Canada, Canadian sellers often find themselves not competitive with American sellers.

We also know that "fixed price" listings now dominate eBay's marketplace, accounting for more than 80% of all transactions.  Auction listings now account for less than 20%.

Listings offering multiple quantities and having shown some sales do get priority.  Why?  Because that is what buyers want.  And they have proven it by purchasing from those listings.

Does "Best Match" really care about your feedback rating?  Not really but keep in mind that many buyers do.

Search engines offer hundreds of links explaining "Best Match".  Some of that information may be useful.  Some is quite questionable.  Expect to spend hours getting a feel for it.  There is no "silver bullet". 

Finally, it is important to remember that "Best Match" is written with American buyers and sellers in mind.  Their playground... their rules.

Good Luck.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@amya4295 wrote:

Frustrated! Just searched one of my items by best match and the very first item that appears is a seller with less than 300 Feedback, not a top rated seller, very high shipping rates, no item detail fields filled out!! The only difference I can see is that she offers world wide shipping and I offer only Canada, U.S? Would this trump my free shipping, top rated, 100% FB and everything populated correctly? Not really sure what benefits we get staying "clean", never getting a neg. over delivering on service if our listing never get found? I'm cleaning up all of my listings using everyone's suggestions and will track to see if I see a difference.

This is exactly my point and the issue I have been battling Ebay over. They as of yet have shown no interest in admitting there is a problem let alone fixing it!

Mind Boggling!

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

"The less html that you have in your description area the better."

I totally agree. I am a "KISS" kind of guy.

When listing at fixed price, do not use the word "auction" in your listing.  I would also avoid "win".  Buyers do not "win" anything.  They purchase goods and pay for the privilege.

As suggested by others, I would delete most or all of the comments about shipping costs or shipping time.  The information is provided in short form in the "shipping" tab (ship within one day, shipping $xxx).  I would also delete the sentence asking for feedback and DSR rating.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@amya4295 wrote:

Thank you very much for your comments. I really appreciate the close look and information. I know that my Canadian shipping is high but it's unfortunately accurate and I never over charge. I have stared doing some free shipments within Canada when it qualifies as lettermail but for bigger items and a shipping rate of about $14 to the West cost, that is really hard and impossible to build into the price. I will try a few more of these ideas even if It is at a loss to me to see if it works. I will cleanup some of my conflicting text as well. I may have gotten a bit lazy, using the same template for years but adding new requirements that eBay wants without removing some of the old. Thanks again!

That is entirely incorrect. Any additional charges that the customer has top pay is an over charge. YOU can make shipping any amount you want it to be. You, alone, are segmenting a cost in your mind, adding it as extra, and rationalizing why it is just.

Since free shipping is becoming the norm, any shipping charge is an over charge.  It is a way of thinking. Please reference to Femme's ongoing tutorial about shipping costs excluded to included.

Regardless of that aspect, I have been told that "best match" has more to do with what customers buy as opposed to what they look for. Specifically, the words spoken to me were: "It does not matter what they search for, it matters what they buy".

You are looking for what you want to look for, is that what you are buying? Often it is not. eBay has figured this out. Best match is frustrating to sellers because we want to see what we want to see, our way. What eBay is returning is what customers actually buy.

As an extreme example, if everyone who searched dog collars ended up buying a frying pan, best match for dog collars would be frying pans because that is what those searchers bought.

Best match also, depending upon category, wants the item condition box filled in, pictures at the top, item specifics filled in. The more relevant information the search engine finds, the higher the placement in best match. The search engine also wants black type, ordinary font, stated or free shipping, the longer the return period the better.

It probably sees spelling mistakes and poor grammar.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Thank you. I have started to adjust some of my listings to see if my best match visibility improves. I was horrified to see some of my spelling mistakes once I went to revise my listings in ebay. I create listings in Auctiva and it does not flag my typos, I can spell, just the brain works faster than the fingers on occasion! In Auctiva you need to prompt for spell check but I see that when listing directly on ebay, which I have not done for years, your spelling is flagged. I will need to be more diligent in that area as I am aware of how unprofessional that looks. I intend to do a bit more research on the Best Match topic as it has got em a little fired up. Thank you for taking the time to answer me. Much appreciated.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Thank you. I'm in the process of cleaning those things up. I have used the same template for too long and it does "go on" a bit and I have several different fonts on it as I have simply added to the template over the years, so I understand the" too busy" comments. With all of the issues in shipping some international countries would you recommend that I start to sell internationally? I would of course not do it without tracking which would probably discourage any international buyer from purchasing from me due to shipping costs of my heavy items, but in your experience would that give me more visibility in Best Match? With the new defect rate and the inconsistencies in shipping times to certain countries do you open your self up to Item not received claims?

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

" in your experience would that give me more visibility in Best Match?"

No.

" With all of the issues in shipping some international countries would you recommend that I start to sell internationally?"

Not at this time with the items you currently offer.

All in all, what you offer in your listings (quality, service, pricing) is what sells.  "Best Match" is nice but it is NOT as important as some sellers think. Many buyers use specific search terms which makes "Best Match" largely irrelevant. Others search using "lowest price" or "highest price" instead of Best Match.  Others (the few remaining auction buyers) search on the basis of listings ending soon.  Finally some want to see newly listed items

Keep in mind that what you see with Best Match when doing a search is NOT always what buyers will see.  Best Match works on factors relevant to the buyer, not the seller.

With 800,000,000 (yes - eight hundred million) listings available on eBay every day, it is impossible to predict how long anyone of your listings would be on the first page of a Best Match search results.  It depends largely on how many listings are available in each specific category.  A few months ago, analyzing one of the most popular categories, it was calculated that - on average and all other things being equal -  a seller's listing would be on the first page for less than one minute.

So do not worry too much about it as there is little you can do about it.  Concentrate your efforts in making your listings attractive to potential buyers, keeping every aspect of each listing positive.  That listing is meant to sell.

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Thank you. That is where I will focus my time. I will clean things up and continue to offer a great buying experience. I have lots of repeat customers so I must be doing something right. After all, this is a hobby to get rid of an over abundance of things in out household so I will try not to take it all too seriously. Ebay was always a fun part-time distraction for me but my personality still wants me to be good at it! Loads of great responses from everyone which is what I anticipated by posting here. Thanks again.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply