How does a Russian Buyer purchase & pay for my item without getting a shipping cost?

Just had a Russian Buyer pay for this item without first getting a shipping quote, do I have the listing set up incorrectly?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

How does a Russian Buyer purchase & pay for my item without getting a shipping cost?

Look at the map. Russia is BOTH in Europe and Asia.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

When I checked your listing and choose Russia as shipping location, I was given the following which shows a $18.95 USD shipping via international parcel air. 

US $18.95
US $4.50
Russian Federation
Canada Post International Parcel - Air

Estimated Delivery within 16-23 business days
Seller ships within 2 days after receiving cleared payment - opens in a new window or tab.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

zee-chan's experience tells us you don't have your shipping set up correctly.

If you don't want to ship to Russia (or Nigeria or Brazil or Germany or PapuaNewGuinea) you have to explicitly set an automatic Block on those countries.

If you ship Worldwide, you will still be open to getting bids from unwanted destinations. Even if you don't have the shipping cost set.

BTW. Does your Russian customer have a Russian Paypal address? The eBay and PP addresses do not have to match. Many honest buyers in 'questionable ' destinatons use freight forwarding services. The seller ships to the forwarder. Once the purchase arrives there, usually in California (for Japan and South Korea) or in Florida (for South America and the Caribbean), the seller's job is done. The forwarder *takes care of delivery as well as acting as a customs broker for the customer.

Specifying where you'll ship

You can exclude certain regions or countries from the places you're willing to ship to.

Excluding shipping locations:
  1. Click My eBay at the top of most eBay pages. You may need to sign in.

2. Click the Account tab.

3. Click the Site Preferences link on the left side of the page.

4. Click the Show link to see the Shipping Preferences section.

5. Click the Edit link next to the Exclude shipping locations from your listings option.

6. On the next page, select regions and countries where you don't want to ship your items. If you only want to select certain countries in a continent, click the Show all countries link next to that continent's name.

7. If you want to apply these exclusions to your current listings, select the Apply to all current live listings option.

8. Once you're finished, click the Apply button.

*This is what the Global Shipping Program does too, although for the seller rather than for the buyer.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I wanted to add here that there is still (after months!) a "bug" in eBay's listing programming that keeps re-inserting "Russian Federation" as a shipping location on the SYI form even though it is in my exclusion list and I do not select it on the SYI form.  I find I have to double-check and remove it manually almost every time.  

I can't recall whether it's only when using "Sell Similar" or also when relisting, but it's extremely annoying, and could result in a Russian buyer mistakenly seeing a shipping value when none was intended.  I wonder if this is what happened to the OP?

In my view, the shipping options on eBay are a mish-mash of a mess.  Hopefully eBay will re-think the whole concept and come up with something better when they introduce the new, streamlined SYI form in the spring. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

That is just bizarre, here is the shipping set-up page from that listing. Did Russia become part of ASIA when I wasn't paying attention in school 😉

RUSSIA.jpg

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Look at the map. Russia is BOTH in Europe and Asia.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Buyer Paypal & eBay are the same Russian addresses, I don't per say have a problem with Russians, it's just the postal system is so slow there. I don't mind shipping there although I'd prefer to give them a tracked shipping cost. I do have blocks set up for Brazil, Africa & Mexico. so I know how the blocks work.  Maybe eBay has the Russian Federation under Europe & that were the shipping cost is coming from. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

So you are saying Eurasia

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I don't know about the SYI form, but when I have to set up my blocks (I use TL but that shouldn't make a difference) I have to block Russian Federation in 2 places, under Asia and under Europe.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply