How is everyone finding sales

Wondering how others are finding their sales. Since I closed my store due to the postal strike threat (closed from about Jun 20-Aug 1) sales have really been slow. I am curious if it is just me or if others are finding that sales are rather slow. The last two months I really have not sold enough (most of my items are small ticket items) to cover my store fees so I am really hoping it picks up. I had thought that while August was slow that once school was back and fall was here that I would see an increase in sales but not really.

In reading some of the other posts I know some of you are finding sales good (eg Mr. Elmwood) so not sure if it is just maybe what I sell. I list on both .ca & .com to take advantage of all the free listing the store offers. Interested in hearing from others.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I think MJ made some really good points on another thread.  See below.  After MJ's points my sales. 

"If Seller A had a sales slump due to, for example, closing their store for vacation while Seller B continued to see regular purchases during that same time period, Seller B will rank higher in Best Match even if all his buyers weren't happy. Ebay rewards the successful sellers with more sales. This works in to ebay's favour because it means more Final Value Fees. As much as we like to think a squeaky clean seller profile and good price will place us top in Best Match, the reality as I see it is that ebay gives that boost to sellers who sell, regardless of how happy their buyers are. To a point. 

This is why we all see weird trends: suddenly selling six items in a row to only German buyers, or randomly three consecutive people want something that has just been sitting around for two years. A sale an hour ago means you're hitting top of Best Match on that search now. 

To recap, Best Match is more concerned with relevance (more views, more watchers and, most of all, more sales) than seller standing. Of that, I am certain. For all the good it does to people like me who twitch over feedback and defects. That being little to none. 

The fall-out form this is that when a seller hits a slump, they hit it hard. Best Match will continue to pass them over until their sales improve. But how can they improve if they are tracking low in Best Match? It becomes a vicious cycle or tailspin until the seller takes matters into their own hands and reaches out, for example, to past customers or drives new customers to their store. eBay Best Match won't help them until they do. "

I found that closing for 4 weeks June/July and then for 2 weeks Aug/Sept really affected my sales.  It was like a 10 ton truck going up hill.  Sales were few and far between for a few weeks after.  They are now trickling in and I have sold my average for the month although I have a lot more listed and I opened a store.  For the past 2 years, sales in the summer were really good but this year because of events beyond my control, change from US to Cdn $ listings, Postal threat of strike and just less interest in CD's, they were 1/3 of what they should have been.  

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

That being the case it certainly would have been better ( as eBay did say) not to close our stores & lose all our sales. Could be an uphill battle to regain lost ground.  Oh well did what I thought was best at the time & hindsight is always 20/20.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Non store.

Stayed open during July & August (except for twice in early July when I closed listings for a few days -- the free 10000 listings offer making it easy to stop, then restart).

Sales in July & August were down over 60% with July taking the biggest hit.

September sales are back up to where I'd normally expect it to be for my current product listings.

Impact of currency switch: NONE

I only had 1 US$ listing on .ca -- my CA$ and US$ listings were already split between the ,ca and .com sites years ago.

So Canada Post (both management and the union) get most of my selling blame for the summer.

-..-

Side comparison:

On the A-river (.ca) my late June to end of August sales tanked with sales down almost 90% -- it was much more risky to continue selling on the a-river than it was on ebay during the postal dispute.

September sales are slowly starting to recover, but I'm still down 50% from where I'd expect to be.

But the slow recovery could be from switching from Pro (basic store equivalent) to Individual with a drop in buyer exposure.

-..-

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

My sales have been pretty dead this summer, probably the deadliest summer since I started selling. If I owned a store then I'd definitely be in the red, but I have still been relying on promos so at least I'm not losing money to eBay... and yes, I did end all of my listings for about 3-4 weeks during the CP uncertainty back in June/July.

Recently I had one sale which the buyer initially offered about 60% of the price of the item and I told her I can only sell it at listed price because usually I only accept offers for purchases of multiple items. After nagging me about lowering the price in about three messages and I still didn't budge, she ended up buying it at full price (I actually thought she'd give up and walk away). She also asked about tracking and I told her I have mailed over 150 times to USA using regular parcel service and all of them arrived (fact) without issues so she told me she will wait patiently for it. I guess I'll see if I'd end up with an INR lollll but I hope not. She was polite with all the messages so hopefully she's honest too. 

I do have watchers for about 50 similar items and I'm surprised that none of them were sold during the past month. Makes me wonder if it's actually a competitor watching my items...

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

I think competitors comprise 90 per cent of Watchers. I've some items that have had 12+ 'watchers' for 12+ months now. I think they are other sellers waiting for my item to sell at that price so that they know the time is ripe to list theirs.

My sales have been sitting at 40 per cent or 30 per cent of average since the beginning of June.

I stayed open and I'm glad I did because the sales I did see paid my ebay fees for June July and August at least.

In my category of items, it is normal to have peaks and valleys, but this is the deepest, widest valley I have experienced to date.

In the summer, it was due to the postal uncertainty driving Canadian buyers away from online shopping in Canada, of that I am sure.

Now, that threat is over and we're all back to business as usual. Except that we are not. My sales volume would not normally be sitting at this low. It is currently at 30 to 35 per cent of my average monthly sales performance.

To what do I attribute this? A low Best Match, yes, for the reasons stated above. I am no longer positioned competitively in Best Match because my sales volumes are lower than usual for a full three months, leaving Cassini to think I am being set aside because I have nothing of interest. It becomes that vicious cycle I have described. I could run some one-cent auctions and give things away for a few weeks just to stimulate sales. Or I could continue the holding pattern to see if they pick up on their own as the holiday shopping season draws closer.

In the meantime, I will continue to list new items. And wait.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

For example, right now, I have approximately 75 items with six or more watchers on them. (And probably another 50 with at least five watchers, 50 more with four et cetera.) Those are Watchers are not buyers per se; if they were I'd be rolling in sales at the moment. 

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

I closed my stores three times this summer. Twice for 2-3 weeks, once last week for 4 days. All for vacation time to visit my kids. Not a huge problem on my one store but on my other store i have now lost TRS and power seller status and that has dropped me down to Above Standard (due to no power seller). Only had 2 sales since then on that store. I've been working 6 hrs a day revising items and retaking photos, hopefully that will help. I only sell cheaper items in that store so it's hard to keep the sales threshold up if it drops. Even in my main store I have noticed a drop in sales, probably down about 50 percent this year and I always add at least 2 new items each day.  I'm currently adding the UPC numbers to all my items as they will be required in February and usually business picks up for me during the winter months.

I'm really thinking about closing the one store and changing my other one from basic to premium but just not sure if that is the best decision for me. I will probably wait until the new year and see how things go.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

My sales are booming. I work at it. The more I work at it, the more I sell. I have sales targets for units and dollars. I have listing targets. I update old listings when I can. I have re-invented about three times in the last two years. I optimize for mobile devices as that is where the sale come from.

I optimize eBay best practices which is something almost no-one does.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

My sales are booming. I work at it. The more I work at it, the more I sell. I have sales targets for units and dollars. I have listing targets. I update old listings when I can. I have re-invented about three times in the last two years. I optimize for mobile devices as that is where the sale come from.

I optimize eBay best practices which is something almost no-one does.

And here I thought it was due to your sunny disposition and winning personality Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Sales are down, completely down for me as well. Looking back last year at the same date, I had over 10 sales during September. This year... only 2. 😞

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I think MJ made some really good points on another thread.  See below.  After MJ's points my sales. 

"If Seller A had a sales slump due to, for example, closing their store for vacation while Seller B continued to see regular purchases during that same time period, Seller B will rank higher in Best Match even if all his buyers weren't happy. Ebay rewards the successful sellers with more sales. "

But... how many buyers shop by "Best Match" really? I know that I, as a buyer, never look at Best Match because it rarely has what I'm looking for. I usually search by Ending First or Newly Listed. Sometimes Price+ shipping = lowest first, but it really depends if I'm just browsing or searching for something in particular.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Who shops by Best Match? Excellent question. I think new buyers do, buyers in a hurry do, and anyone who hasn't discovered they can select their own filter preference. I know a lightbulb lit over my head when I first noticed it ten years ago. Sometimes I still use Best Match to find what I want. If I filter, generally I pick HIGHEST PRICE and work my way backwards to avoid all the junk.
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

August was great, September is the pits

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Any relation to "toolguy"?

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

Store was on Vacation....May 15 to June 15 ... changing currency  from US to Canadian dollars.

Open for one week...  6 sales....  one sale immediately cancelled

Store was back on vacation for July and August ... postal problems..... strike potential

Store was opened September 1.....  Sales were slow initially  but then things picked up.

The final number of sales for September was very good....ended with 75 % of sales to Canadian buyers...

Before May 15 it was 55 % of sales to Canadian buyers.

My emphasis is Canadian history  and everything Canadian and about Canada.

Listing in Canadian dollars does appear to have an effect on the number of sales to Canadians....and most likely depends on the type of inventory one sells on eBay....  and whether one lists  in Canadian or US dollars....

The exchange rate is about $1,30 Canadian dollar = $1.00 US... both before May 15 and today 

My percentage of sales US versus Canadian buyers today is at about what it was when the Canadian dollar was about equal to the US dollar.... two to three years ago...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that I had ended and relisted all listings over May-June....  meant  my standing in Best Match was low in late June and then at the start of September.

As my views went up and my sales kicked in ... my placement in Best Match for History>Canada...  improved dramatically.

My active listings  showed   quite a range in views  for listings... and lots of watchers.....  for many listings...

I am back... with Canadians as my buyers of my inventory....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is about what I expected......  Listing in Canadian dollars did influence my sales to Canadians.

I suspect that Canadians did not see me adjust US prices in relation to the exchange rate over the past three years......   and it was their suspicion that the price in Canadian dollars was inflated.... Yet the price in Canadian dollars  on May 1 was about the same as the price about three years ago when the US and Canadian dollars were about equal.

My price today... in Canadian dollars... is very much the same as it was three years ago...

Canadian buyers are back.... and ready to buy in Canadian dollars.... 

Selling in US dollars,  and the variation in exchange rate appeared to influence sales to Canadians 

while  the reverse may be true... Potential US buyers are not too sure of my listings in Canadian dollars and may be hesitant in buying... even though the exchange rate and the price in US dollars  is advantageous  for them...

------------------------------------------------------

October will be something new.....  have got to keep listing new and unique inventory.

New inventory  added over May, June, July and August  appeared to be a major stimulus to sales in September....

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Who shops by Best Match? Excellent question. I think new buyers do, buyers in a hurry do, and anyone who hasn't discovered they can select their own filter preference.

Yes, that's exactly right.

Collectors do not organize the search by Best Match and buyers who are picking through used items won't be using that either unless they are new to eBay.

Also, anyone looking for a deal won't be using Best Match either once they catch onto the system.

I always use newly listed to organize the search and most collectors do the same.

That's why listing via GTCed is the kiss of death for those of us who sell used items.

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Intersting point. I did not know GTC sorted that way, I assumed they went to the top of Newly Listed when they renewed but I can see by my test searches this morning that they do not. 

I switched to virtually all GTC over the summer from 30-day BIN.

I wonder if this is related to my sales being lower than normal. Collectors would compose part of my buyer base and, you're right, if I'm looking for an often-sought collectible BIN as a seller, I use Newly Listed as a filter quite often too. If I'm looking for an auction, I want to know only how soon it will end. So that's a Time Remaining filter. 

The flip side of the GTC is that I had hoped those listings would rank higher in Best Match since they wouldn't punt their sales history and Watchers every 30-days. 

Intersting points to ponder......

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

sylviebee wrote: 
Collectors do not organize the search by Best Match and buyers who are picking through used items won't be using that either unless they are new to eBay. 
Also, anyone looking for a deal won't be using Best Match either once they catch onto the system.

I always use newly listed to organize the search and most collectors do the same.

That's why listing via GTCed is the kiss of death for those of us who sell used items.

I agree with you about Best Match.  With all due respect to 'mj's' theories quoted in Post #2, it is far too simplistic to assume that Best Match alone drives most sales in this way, or that selling more will mean more sales.  Any conclusions about eBay's search system are conjecture at worst or an educated guess at best, and are always only part of the picture.  What little we've been told by eBay is clearly that the algorithms they use are far more sophisticated and complex than can be explained by one parameter.  

Not only are numerous factors involved in what gets presented to buyers and in what order, but there are also many, many ways in which buyers can initiate and organize their searches.  Sophisticated buyers (particularly, as you say, collectors) may use more than one method to search for the same type of item, or have a favourite system of searching that bypasses Best Match entirely. 

Sellers have been trying for years to parse out eBay's methods of search placement and preference, all to spectacularly no avail.  It can even be self-destructive to think that we have one aspect of the system figured out and act on that particular assumption, partly because eBay's programmers are no doubt forever busy in the background retooling the search/placement algorithms. 

There are also many, many other factors completely outside of eBay's system that can influence dips and valleys of sales on eBay and elsewhere.  I think many of us are aware of this.  There is also just simple coincidence -- yes, that happens now and then.  There may also be specific things that eBay does to "highlight" or promote certain types of items or target certain buyer markets at particular times (including its own advertising). There may also be enormous sellers coming online onto eBay all at once during a particular period that attract buyers away.  There may be other online venues grabbing more attention at a given time.  

Any of these factors, or all of them together, could account for bizarre clumps of sales to unusual places or sudden slumps in sales, for instance.  The point is that no one really knows but eBay. 

I think this statement (quoted in Post #2), is one example of trying too hard to ascribe a single factor on eBay to an observed phenomenon: "The fall-out form this is that when a seller hits a slump, they hit it hard. Best Match will continue to pass them over until their sales improve. But how can they improve if they are tracking low in Best Match? It becomes a vicious cycle or tailspin until the seller takes matters into their own hands and reaches out, for example, to past customers or drives new customers to their store. eBay Best Match won't help them until they do."  

It's just not that simple, and to be honest I think it's a disservice to newer sellers to make conclusive statements about eBay's search/placement system.  If it were this clear, a lot of sellers would have figured out long ago how to manipulate the system and make millions by now.  

The bottom line is that not only Best Match, but all other aspects of eBay's search/placement system are deliberately kept obscure, complicated and multi-faceted for the very reason that eBay doesn't want them to be easy for sellers to puzzle out or deconstruct.  

However -- and here 'Mr. Elmwood'  hit the nail on the head -- we have been given some guidance by eBay.   They've told us over and over again to optimize best practices.  That means everything on the list, not just cherry-picking what seems to work one week or one month.  And I'll bet, as 'Mr. E'  says, that few sellers do that consistently.  

Now, I do have to add that 'Mr. E'  sells stuff that people need.  Most of us sell what people merely want, or sell wholly discretionary, luxury items.  With those items it's harder to maintain a constant, reliable sales volume.   In times of economic or political stress people withhold spending on non-essentials.  

I think too that if you sell on more than one online site, you see these trends or slumps as well.  They aren't unique to eBay, nor even to online selling.  Ask anybody who has worked in a B&M store -- you'll be playing solitaire on the counter, waiting for buyers, then there's a rush at no especially significant time of the day or week, and suddenly you have a line-up of 10 people at the cash, and maybe they're all wearing blue coats.  

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

The flip side of the GTC is that I had hoped those listings would rank higher in Best Match since they wouldn't punt their sales history and Watchers every 30-days.  

Sellers were given a surprising little gem on this subject at the eBay conference this summer, one of the rare times eBay has actually revealed a specific piece of seller information.  At one of the seminars for store owners, the eBay rep definitively recommended that GTC should be used.  Now, since no one asked him whether that advice held true for non-store owners, it would have to be taken in the context that this was intended for store owners.  

There was an audible gasp (say, WHAT???) in the room when he said this, and a couple of sellers challenged him on it.  His response was simple and unequivocal -- "You should be using GTC".  

OK, if it comes from the source, and isn't merely a suggestion, this is something to take note of and act upon.  Which I did. 

Message 20 of 32
latest reply