How much time and money does it really cost to sell on ebay?

Ebay allows all these fake bidders to place bids with no feedback and no credit card details. Then they try to make the sellers pay for this!

Ebay know very well this is scam that's why they do it! Why doesn't ebay enforce the payment?

Final value fee

If the item sells, you're charged a final value fee. Final value fees are calculated based on the total amount of the sale and are charged per item.

"

Well the item did not sell.

Sell

1. To exchange or deliver for money or its equivalent.

Now my accounts is 'on hold': But they lied because i did not sell these items!

How many hours to waste on one transaction?  How can it be worth it to spend hours and days trying to make $20. In the end you can take to someone in the Philippines about it, lol.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@sellmantra wrote:

Ebay allows all these fake bidders to place bids with no feedback and no credit card details. Then they try to make the sellers pay for this!

Ebay know very well this is scam that's why they do it! Why doesn't ebay enforce the payment?

Final value fee

If the item sells, you're charged a final value fee. Final value fees are calculated based on the total amount of the sale and are charged per item.

"

Well the item did not sell.

Sell

1. To exchange or deliver for money or its equivalent.

Now my accounts is 'on hold': But they lied because i did not sell these items!

How many hours to waste on one transaction?  How can it be worth it to spend hours and days trying to make $20. In the end you can take to someone in the Philippines about it, lol.

Why are you wasting any time? For any, very few, non payers that I have, after a few days I open the UID, then close it on day eight. I am out a minute of my time.

Equivalent would be a promise to pay, a cheque, a money order. You sold, you just did not collect. You can argue with this all you want and it will not change anything.

Regardless, why is your account on "hold".

Photobucket
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

As Mr. Elmwood mentions, if you'd filed an Unpaid Item Dispute against your non-paying buyer, one of two things would have happened: 

1)  The buyer might have paid, completing the transaction normally; or 

2)  The buyer would not have paid, the case would be closed in your favour, you'd get your FVFs back, could re-list your item and really have only lost a few minutes of your time.  

There are a lot of difficulties for sellers on eBay, but this isn't really one of them.  Take the time to read up on eBay's non-paying bidder policies (click under "Help & Contact/Leaning Centre" at the top of this page, and use that information to avoid these problems.  

How long ago was this sale?  You might still be able to file an UID if it's not too old.  At least you'd get your FVFs back if the buyer has vanished.  

As for the hold on your account -- did you not get any message from eBay/Paypal about that?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

This account has not been used in a while so what is his post in regards to?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Its not always that simple.  Sometimes the purchaser decides to pay and sends the item back claiming "not as described."  I had several but the last one was a really bad.  The third day I wrote the purchaser to ask if she wished to cancel the transaction.  No reply.  It was a $350 duvet.  I filed "Unpaid bidder" and she paid.  I shipped the duvet.  Husband phoned saying the duvet will be returned because "it does not work for her".  They also filed "Not as described".  It came back with a $60.80 charge for taxes and handling.  I had to pay in order to get the package.  Then I tried filing for my FVF back.  You got it, I couldn't.  So there went another $31.50.  Shipping was $33.00 and no one to claim it from.  Total $125.30.  I can file to get the GST back but its still a huge loss.    I did not look, but I bet I received a "defect".

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

"For any, very few, non payers that I have, after a few days I open the UID, then close it on day eight. I am out a minute of my time."

You are out 8 days! because if you forget you lose the money. It's just a headache.

My account is on hold because i am not paying $6.25 for selling 3 items, when i only sold one item. I will happily pay the $2.10 we agreed on.

I suppose i could spend 1/2 on hold with the Philippines. Would that help? Again how much time do i have to spend on these dreaded sunglasses? 

Don't sell on ebay unless you are business. For the casual user it is too much of headache.

Buying is enough trouble. 25% of the deals are bad. I have to lose money from the sellers with bad products and lose money from ebay too.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply