How to add Canada Post INSURANCE costs ("Handling cost") to my domestic listings?

How do I include a "handling cost" to my DOMESTIC shipment costs for Canada Post? I have the option, at the bottom of my INTERNATIONAL shipping options to add a "Handling charge" where I can enter insurance costs. However, this option dos not exist under my DOMESTIC shipping options?

See my two screen shots of DOMESTIC & INT'L

If I'm not mistaken, it used to be there some time ago but has been AWOL for quite some time.

As an aside, as it isn't really a handling cost but a component of shipping cost, why can ebay just add a separate box near the dimensions and weight for insurance and give ME the option of choosing to calculate it either as a fixed cost, or based on final selling price x C$2.20/$100 (or whatever the going CP rate is)...???

AS another aside WHY can I only add one screen shot!? And ebay wonders why people leave....  😞

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

How to add Canada Post INSURANCE costs ("Handling cost") to my domestic listings?

Did you check if the rules at eBay allow you to charge "insurance" in addition to the shipping charge?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Hit the "Add or remove options" link and you should be able to bring the handling charge field back.  You can put any amount you want in it.  If it was an auction and the price could change what CP's insurance charge was, there is no way to have a variable amount.  Pesonally I wouldn't ever pay CP for their expensive insurance.  

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

More most of your current items, using a tracked shipping service is really all you need.

Remember that Canada Post's insurance is only against damage in transit which can best be insured against by careful packing.*

For the laptop, you will need Signature Confirmation, which proves delivery. You can buy one-off insurance through shipinsurance.

I haven't used this and may have the name slightly wrong, but many posters have given good reports of their service. One interesting tip is to use the company's 'not insurable' list to Block some possible destinations. which they have found problematical in the past.

Against an Item Not As Described dispute you have little protection. It's best just to demand a return before refund, even if it means paying for return shipping (on arrival if the customer is not in Canada).

*To withstand a two foot drop off a conveyor belt with a 50 lb package landing on top of it, according to a Canada Post official who spoke at an eBay selling course many years ago.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply