How to dispute a defect?

I received an undeserved defect about 6 days ago. A familiar story with many Sellers. How do I dispute it?

Here is what happened.

A buyer opened a request (The buyer didn't receive the item) on November 15th.

Here is part of the message the buyer sent:

I ve been waiting for the packages for awhile and I just realized that they were sent to my old address and was delivered in Nov, 7th...I was wondering if there is anything I can do...? Also, could you please let me know if the packages returned to you guys?

The buyer had moved and FAILED to remove his old address from his Paypal Account. I checked both the Ebay and Paypal Emails from the sale and noticed a different address in the buyers Ebay account. Have no idea if the address in the buyers Ebay account is the address that it was supposed to be shipped to. Have sent 5 messages to the buyer over the past 6 days and have not received a response.

I received the package back yesterday on November 20th. On November 18, 11 days after it was successfully delivered, it was finally shipped back to me. I want to re-ship it to the buyer right away but can not get a response. I'm not going to assume that the address in the buyers Ebay account is the correct one. I want the buyer to send me a message with the correct shipping address.

Now this counts as a defect because I successfully shipped to the address I was given.

The package had a tracking number and shows that the package was successfully delivered on Nov. 7. Then it shows it was put back in the mail on November 18 to be returned to me. Received it 2 days later on November 20.

Ebay does not make it clear to the buyer that it counts as a defect against a Seller when a request is opened against the Seller.

Ebay should NOT allow a buyer to open a case against a Seller when there is no record of communication between the buyer and seller. Ebay should make the buyer send a message to the Seller first.  Once the buyer sends a message to the Seller, then the buyer can not open a case until 48 hours has passed since the message was sent. That would give the buyer 2 days to work out any problems with the Seller. The same with feedback. Ebay should not allow a buyer to leave Negative or Neutral feedback if the buyer has made no attempt to contact the Seller about whatever problem there is. Most problems can be resolved with simple communication.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

How to dispute a defect?

If the case is still open you can call customer service, tell them that the delivery confirmation number shows as being delivered and ask them to close the case. Basically they would be ruling that you won the case so the defect should be removed.

I've heard that if the case was already closed it is difficult to get the defect removed but it doesn't hurt to try.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

@quality-cellular wrote:

Ebay should NOT allow a buyer to open a case against a Seller when there is no record of communication between the buyer and seller. Ebay should make the buyer send a message to the Seller first.  Once the buyer sends a message to the Seller, then the buyer can not open a case until 48 hours has passed since the message was sent. That would give the buyer 2 days to work out any problems with the Seller. The same with feedback. Ebay should not allow a buyer to leave Negative or Neutral feedback if the buyer has made no attempt to contact the Seller about whatever problem there is. Most problems can be resolved with simple communication.

Very good Suggestions... I wonder how these could ready the ears of the powers that be.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

I did try calling Ebay about an hour ago. But it was past their business hours. Will try calling tomorrow.

The case is still open. This defect doesn't really affect my Seller rating much. My defect % is at 0.39 %. Only 2 defects in the past 3 Months. The other one was for the same reason. Item not received. That buyer opened the request only 6 days after ordering and I shipped it by lettermail within 6 hours. My location is Alberta. It was being shipped to Quebec. I responded to that request and the buyer never responded back. The case was closed automatically after 30 days because there was no response from the Buyer. I thought that it would no longer count as a defect when the buyer does not respond and the case is automatically closed. But it still counts as a defect.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

@decal-fx wrote:

@quality-cellular wrote:

Very good Suggestions... I wonder how these could ready the ears of the powers that be.

I have a few more good suggestions about feedback.

I find that only 40% of buyers actually leave feedback. I thought that was very low until I started selling on Amazon. Only 5% of buyers leave feedback on Amazon!!

It would be nice to block bad buyers. The buyers that like to leave lots of Negatives and Neutrals. But you can't. You can block buyers with a feedback score of -1 or less. That is completely useless and should not even be an option since you can't leave a Negative for a buyer.

Here is how the feedback system should work. The buyers should have a defect system just like the Sellers do.

As a buyer, if you leave a Positive feedback, you receive 1 point. If you leave a Negative or a Neutral no points. If no Positive feedback was left after 60 days, no points. For example, if a Buyer was involved in 10 transactions and left 8 Positives and 1 Negative and no feedback on 1, then that Buyer would have a defect rating of 20%. Meaning that 20% of the transactions that buyer has been involved with had a defect.

Then you should be able to block a Buyer that has a defect rating of 10% or more, 15% or more, etc. A drop down box where you select the %.

That will make Buyers careful about the feedback they leave. Buyers will have to leave Positive feedback on transactions in order to get points so they do not get defects and end up being blocked by Sellers.

That will take care of the problem with people not leaving feedback and will allow Sellers to automatically block the bad buyers.

About 3 weeks ago, I received a message from a buyer asking if I could give him a discount if he purchased 6 batteries. The first thing that I do is check the Buyers Feedback left for others to see if it is a buyer that I would want to do business with. That buyer left 89 Negatives and Neutrals!! Then I checked the feedback as a Buyer and say 590 transactions. 89 bad feedback out of 590 transactions! A perfect example of somebody that I'd like to automatically block. I ignored the message and added the buyer to my blocked list.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

Or better yet, instead of points, just base it off of the feedback the buyer leaves.

If a buyer has left 5 positives and no negs or neutrals, then the buyer has no defects. Even if the buyer has been involved with 100 transactions. But if the buyer leaves 1 Neg and 5 positives, then the buyer has a defect rating of 17% even if the buyer was involved in 100 transactions. The buyers defect % would have been much lower if the buyer left feedback for all the other transactions.

So, a buyer is not being punished for not leaving feedback. But, the more positive feedback that a buyer leaves for transactions, the lower the defect % the buyer will have when they do have to leave bad feedback for a Seller.

Buyers should have a defect rating just like the Sellers. It is only fair.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

I want to re-ship it to the buyer right away but can not get a response.

Don't reship until you do have a response and until the correct address is added to his PAYPAL account (not eBay, Paypal).

You can Block a specific buyer at any time.

You can set up an automatic Block on bidders who have Unpaid Item Strikes.

You can set up an automatic Block on bidders who do not have an active Paypal account (usually newbies, so think about this one carefully).

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I want to re-ship it to the buyer right away but can not get a response.

Don't reship until you do have a response and until the correct address is added to his PAYPAL account (not eBay, Paypal).

You can Block a specific buyer at any time.

You can set up an automatic Block on bidders who have Unpaid Item Strikes.

You can set up an automatic Block on bidders who do not have an active Paypal account (usually newbies, so think about this one carefully).

I still have not got a response. I am not shipping again until the buyer has added a correct address to his Paypal account.

I still haven't contacted Ebay about this defect. But I will soon.

I have already set up those blocks before I started selling anything. Unpaid item strikes, buyers that do not have a Paypal account, buyers from other countries that I do not ship to, buyers with a feedback score of -1 or less which is totally useless because Sellers can't leave buyers bad feedback.

The buyers that I'd like to automatically block are the ones that have a habit of leaving bad feedback for sellers.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

It would be helpful to sellers if buyers who leave a lot of negative and neutral feedback were monitored by eBay. And by 'a lot' I mean more than one FB in ten is negative or neutral.

But negative FB for buyers is useless for sellers like me, and I believe I am in the majority, who use Fixed Price listings.I have NO bidders to monitor.  I don't meet my customers until they buy.

The Strikes system works much better for me than having to go through the non-payment process with a deadbeat.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

Which is why payment should go through Paypal automatically when an auction closes.  There is no reason now to provide 4 days to pay.  It isn't the old days when payments were mailed to buyers.  Bidding is automated through places like goof bid, Ebay is auto paid from auctions, Paypal is autopaid, the only party left to hang now is the seller.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

I still have not got a response. I am not shipping again until the buyer has added a correct address to his Paypal account.

I wouldn't ship it either until I heard from the buyer. But even if the buyer now adds the new address to their Paypal account that doesn't affect this transaction in any way...you will still see the original address. The only way to have the new address on the transaction is for you to cancel and refund and then have the buyer purchase again.  I probably wouldn't go through all of that but would ship the item again once the buyer gave me the correct address.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

Yes GOOD suggestion... But I really question myself if any ebay decision maker read any of this on discussion board ?!?!?! 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

Still have not been able to contact the buyer. I still have the package sitting on my desk waiting for the buyer to contact me.

4 days ago, I chose to escalate the case to Ebay.

2 days ago, Ebay decided in my favour and the defect is supposed to be removed within 24 hours. It is still there. I will call Ebay if it is not removed within the next 7 days.

Here is the message from Ebay:

Hi quality.cellular,
eBay Customer Support has reviewed the case and made a final decision.
We decided not to issue the buyer a refund. You don't need to do anything else for this case.

Decision:
This case has been decided in your favor.

Comments:
We received tracking information from you before or at the time the buyer opened the case that shows the item was delivered to the buyer's address. You don't need to do anything else. Because we decided in your favor, this case, any feedback left, and all detailed seller ratings left, will not affect your seller performance. In addition, any feedback left for this transaction will be removed. Note: It may take up to 24 hours for these updates to reflect in your Seller Dashboard.

You can also view the details of this case in the Resolution Centre.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

@quality-cellular wrote:

"So, a buyer is not being punished for not leaving feedback. But, the more positive feedback that a buyer leaves for transactions, the lower the defect % the buyer will have when they do have to leave bad feedback for a Seller.

Buyers should have a defect rating just like the Sellers. It is only fair."

Although your suggestions make logical sense from the point of view of sellers, and although I'm sure many sellers (including me) would like to see buyers be made more responsible for their "behaviours", the net result of a defect rating system for buyers would probably be to drive buyers away from eBay.  

You might say, well, good riddance to less than perfect buyers.  But I think the very existence of a "defect" rate for buyers might turn off a lot of people, including those who feel their negative or neutral comments in FB were legitimate and deserved.  Not every seller is perfect either.  

I'm no apologist for eBay policies, but we should bear in mind that one of the reasons eBay got rid of sellers' ability to leave frank and open FB (i.e. negative comments) for buyers was that the free-for-all mud slinging was driving buyers away.  I can remember those days, seeing a lot of rather shocking personal comments and near obscenities in FB from sellers all over the place.  Not only did it look embarrassing for eBay, but I'm sure it must have driven many buyers away before they even started.  

In truth, the FB you do get as a seller is the FB you want to keep (if you're a good, reliable, honest seller).  Your happiest customers will make you look the best.  I've stopped fretting about those who don't bother -- I'd rather have no comment than a lukewarm or neutral comment these days.  

In addition, I think we sellers have to recognize that there are instances where there is a difference of opinion between seller and buyer on whether a transaction was a perfectly happy one.  There are also just plain dishonest, negligent or shoddy sellers on eBay.  If eBay wants to keep buyers coming back (and heaven knows, they need to!), then they need to convince those buyers that they'll be treated fairly by sellers.

Pressures from the marketplace in general have raised the bar for all retailers, and raised buyers' expectations. EBay had no choice but to follow suit to keep from bleeding buyers off to other sites or to commercial B&M retailers. 

However, it seems to me that the real problem for eBay over the past 3 or 4 years has been finding a balance between keeping its sellers honest and prosperous and its buyers happy to come back again and again.  The pendulum swung wildly in buyers' favour starting in 2012, and now in 2014 we've seen masses of sellers losing status or being kicked off the site, some for inadvertent errors, others no doubt for obviously bad practice or ignorance.  

My personal view is that the whole FB system has become virtually meaningless, and perhaps it's time for eBay to completely rethink how it presents it sellers to the world.  The defect system is like a field of landmines, even for the best of sellers (small sellers, that is).  It needs to be retooled or tossed out and completely redesigned. 

The challenge eBay will have in 2015 will be in keeping the loyalty not only of its buyers, but its (smaller) sellers.  Many long-time, experienced sellers are getting fed up and leaving.  Hordes of new sellers who can't be bothered reading policies (and are being told by eBay that selling is a cinch), will be ejected from the site anyway.  

Maybe that's what eBay wants -- to ultimately have just a coterie of the biggest commercial retailers left on its site.  That would be short-sighted thinking in my view, but as long as shareholders' pockets are being lined today, why would eBay care about 3, 5, 10 years down the road?  My point has always been that if eBay makes this site comfortable for smaller sellers, they'll stay for years.  The "big guys" on the other hand, will move on with their own agendas.  

In any case, the new guy at the helm is going to have a lot of serious thinking to do.  Let's hope he thinks up some way of swinging the pendulum back a little toward eBay's original core of independent sellers.  

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

How to dispute a defect?

Yes, very good points.

Ebay knows that buyers will leave and buy elsewhere. Ebay also knows that Sellers will put up with the **bleep** and whine about it but will still keep selling as long as the Sellers are making money.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply