How to fight other seller

I recently found out that some guy, who started selling a few months ago has stolen my listings (copy and paste from beginning till the end). I reported those listings to eBay a couple weeks ago - no action, reported again last week - still no action. For some reason eBay won't remove these listings. Is there any other way to make this guy remove listings he stole from me?

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

there is a report button on each listing,try reporting there
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

I would think long and hard before doing that. That will focus attention on the button pusher.
Photobucket
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Have you just tried contacting him or her. Explain how this can confuse buyers and that it is against Ebay policy. The seller is probably newer and probably unaware of their action.

I have just recently gone through the same situation.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

What does that have to do with his problem? For fear of retaliation we cannot report a seller who is breaking the rules? That does not make sense.
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Start hosting your pictures on a third party site.

When one is stolen -- go to the site and change that picture.

Be imaginative.

You may have to change your own pictures on your own listings at the same time of courseMan LOL

You could also embed links to your own Store in your listing. If he is cutting and pasting he may end up giving you more business.

Here's one;

<P>
If you have any questions about this item or any of my other auctions: 
<A target="_blank" href="http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ContactUserNextGen&amp;recipient=reallynicestamps” rel="nofollow">Please Click Here</A> to ask reallynicestamps a question.
</P>

Obviously, you change the text in red. The first one would be to your eBay name, the second perhaps use "me" instead.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

" has stolen my listings (copy and paste from beginning till the end)"

Did you create those descriptions?  or did you copy them from your suppliers?

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I did create the listings myself from beginning till the end.

The guy just copied whole listing text including the title and pasted it into his listings.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

That's a great idea. thanks
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Strictly technically, those listings and pictures dont belong to you anymore, but to Ebay.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

eBay's rule ---

eBay members are not allowed to use images—including photos and other pictures—or text they didn't create themselves.

Exceptions to this policy would be if they are authorized to do so by the owner, its agent, or the law.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

That's totally wrong.

I wouldn't say anything if the guy would copy a line or two but to copy-paste the whole title and the whole listing description - what a nerve. Anyway, why eBay does nothing about it??

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

I would take it as a compliment…your listing is well done! It's happened to me and I couldn't care less….There's enough hassles on Ebay to deal with than that…..

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

My ex decided, as a bonding idea, that she would sell what I sell. Still doing it years later. Copies my text and gets it wrong. Copies description and gets it wrong. Copies applications and gets it wrong. Head to head, I out sell her 10:1.

I too have better things to worry about other than what others are doing.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Hey I had this happen to me as well, but it was on Kijiji.. A person wanted to buy a ring I had posted there and said he couldn't pay for it until the end of the week. As I was checking out other listings on ebay, the cheeky bugger had posted it there, with the same pictures,  even my registered appraisal pic and the same word for word listing I had on Kijiji, but for $400 more, listing ending in 3 days.

Thought if he could sell it sooner on ebay and get more money for it, then he would purchase it from me on Friday, the end of the week..

It takes all kinds I guess.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

There is an auction site in Toronto that has online auctions that end every Wednesday. I found people listing things they had not even bought yet. I knew because they lifted all the pictures from the listing. It was fun to bid these people up.

I notified the auction house and a few strange things happened. First, that practise slowed down a lot. Second, I won a lot of auctions at low prices for a couple weeks.
Photobucket
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@goldtreasures4u wrote:

Hey I had this happen to me as well, but it was on Kijiji.. A person wanted to buy a ring I had posted there and said he couldn't pay for it until the end of the week. As I was checking out other listings on ebay, the cheeky bugger had posted it there, with the same pictures,  even my registered appraisal pic and the same word for word listing I had on Kijiji, but for $400 more, listing ending in 3 days.

Thought if he could sell it sooner on ebay and get more money for it, then he would purchase it from me on Friday, the end of the week..

That is cheeky!  Although not the first time I've heard this sort of story, usually an eBay/eBay situation.  However, these people are setting their own trap if sellers require payment within a short time period.  If that guy ended up with an Unpaid Item Dispute on his hands and no buyer on his end, or (as sometimes happens) eBay left the item available for sale until fully paid, someone else could buy it and leave him holding the bag if he had a buyer on his end.  Or, possibly worse, have his own buyer stiff him for the money, meanwhile having purchased your item and being unable to pay.  Either way, Russian roulette, and just plain stupid.

The audacity factor aside, it is not legal to copy another seller's listing/picture outright without permission.  Sellers who have this happen to them need to report it to eBay until they get some appropriate response. 

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@lamborg2008 wrote:

That's totally wrong.

My previous statement was somewhat incorrect. Ebay does not own member content but they have very same rights as the content owner, including sub-licensing (read: giving away) the content to other member. This does not conflict with the policy you quoted and you can report the other member under that policy. I only pointed out if Ebay decides to allow listing plagiarism in the future, you already agreed to that.

When providing us with content or causing content to be posted using our Services, you grant us a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully sublicensable (through multiple tiers) right to exercise any and all copyright, trademark, publicity, and database rights and other intellectual property rights you have in the content, in any media known now or developed in the future, and to the fullest extent permitted under applicable law, you waive any and all moral rights and promise not to assert such rights or any other intellectual property or publicity rights against us, our sublicensees, or our assignees.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply