How to get bids - need add advice please

Is there a way to get suggestions on why my items didn't sell - eg how to improve my adds?  

Do know I could lower the price but perhaps someone can offer other helpful advice other than lower the price.

Thank you as would like to resist my items.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: How to get bids - need add advice please

Well, it does help to list your items. Smiley Wink

It's hard to bid on a non-existent listing.

Other than that:

• You have 80 keystrokes FREE for your customer to find you in Search
  • You have up to 12 photos FREE to show your customer what she is getting
  • Free Shipping is very popular -- but only use it on items that can ship LetterPost/Light Packet
  • Use Calculated Shipping for parcels-- it tells your customer how much she will pay for delivery to her doorstep.
  • Look at your listings on a mobile device. Different aren't they? Time to edit.
  • Spelling and grammar are important. Poor English indicates a careless or ignorant seller who is fresh meat for scammers.
  • Don't sell what everyone else is offering. Find a niche.
  • If you can ship Flat Rate, list on dotCOM.
  • Don't use auctions. Over 80% of transactions are now mobile-friendly Fixed Price that appeal to impulse shoppers.

On your FB your titles do look good.

There is a lot of discussion about Free Shipping as a business practice. The main thing to remember is that it is NOT free. You will be including the costs of postage and packaging in your asking price.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Sorry did not realize should have relisted  before asked question but do appreciate your help.  Perhaps should list on eBay.com so listings do not look so expensive?

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Relisted one item and would so much appreciate any advice you have for me. Thank you.   

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I noticed that you are selling a very expensive piece of pottery. I would only sell to Canada & the U.S. with insurance & tracking. I would not ship to other countries as it is too expensive to ship & it could get damaged or lost in the mail.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Thank you so much for the advice

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Only buyers that are looking on .ca are able to see your listing right now because you don't have any shipping costs showing for any location other than Canada.  You need to set up shipping for those countries that you ship to so that buyers looking on .com or .ca will see your items.  I don't know if you didn't set up costs or if they are just not set up correctly but either way not all potential buyers are able to see your listing. To start out, I would suggest that you sell to the US and Canada only until you are more familiar with how ebay selling works.

I suggest that you use calculated shipping for your listings. For example, both you and I are in Alberta and yet when I look at your listing you would be charging me the same as if I lived on the east coast.  You do mention in your listing that you will not charge more than actual cost but if I see that your shipping cost is $65 to Alberta,  I might not bother ask you if it is going to be less.

You mention in your listing to wait for an invoice before payment.  In some cases that isn't possible and for the most part, buyers want to know before they buy how much shipping is. They don't want to message and ask you, they don't want to wait for an invoice, they want to know now...before they make the decision to purchase.  Also in many cases, they can't make the purchase if there is no shipping cost listed so some buyers may just not bother to even try.

More pictures would make it more likely to sell. People who are spending that amount of money, especially on a vintage item want to see the item's exact condition and the best way to do that is by showing pics of everything.  I notice in a couple of other similar listings that those sellers don't have many pictures either but the pics make buyers more comfortable PLUS there is less chance of a buyer returning your item because they didn't see the whole item until they received it.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Perhaps should list on eBay.com so listings do not look so expensive?

No.

Is someone can't afford a $120 necklace, they can't afford a $100 necklace either.

And Search on dotCOM will show the value in US dollars. The listing itself will show both currencies.

(And if the customer is searching on dotDE, the German site, the Search will show in euros, and the listing in loonies and euros.)

On the current listing.

You use the word NUDE twice and vase not at all.

I'd also suggest changing the order of the words because the first four or five are the most important for mobile shoppers.

The manufacturer's name "Phoenix Glass" should be in the title too.

How about:

VASE dancing Nudes PHOENIX vintage Art Deco '30s glass jar -- now add more words if you like.

In my opinion no seller should ever say 'not an expert'.

From the estate of a 105 year old family member might be better. (Hey! good genes!)

Titles and descriptions in ALL CAPS are hard to read.

You can change the font size of your descriptions. See Advanced on the right side of the Description box on the Sell Your Item form or toss in a little HTML.

The main reason for listing this item on dotCA is that you will be using a parcel service and you certainly want tracking.

FWIW, Expedited Shipping is often slightly cheaper or the same price as Regular Domestic Shipping and sounds better to the customer.

If you list on dotCOM you are forced to use Flat Rate shipping, and for parcels that is a quagmire.

Bookmark this page:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Not sure if should be repeating the thank you thank you but to all that have taken the time to help me learn I am most appreciative and perhaps vase inherited from my amazing 105 year old mother will sell this time after I work on the helpful suggestions.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

One word of caution and only my opinion.

You are a new seller selling an expensive item. Do you have any idea how to protect yourself from scammers at all?

You should not be selling expensive items until you learn more about Ebay, how to set up a listing, shipping, where to ship to or not to ship to, what to do in case of a INAD, and so forth.

Do some selling of cheaper merchandise so you learn the ropes and can't be scammed very badly.

Build up some feedback as a seller and also total feedback. Your account has not been used in a long time and people will look and think you are a scammer.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

"... helpful advice..."

1) lower your shipping charge.  It is excessive and makes you look bad.

2) check your competition.  I see a similar vase offered by a seller in Buffalo for much less than you.

3) remove "DO NOT PAY UNTIL YOU RECEIVE INVOICE" from your listing. 

4) remove "Will not charge extra for shipping and handling you will only pay my cost. "  It is meaningless and nobody reads it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply