How was your sales for July?? Mine were........

Another month ending and another month beginning. Im not sure which is worse, getting out of a dismal sales month or wondering if this month is going to be better. I guess I have to look at the month to be, as the future hasnt been written yet.

July sales for me was the worst July in my Ebay record. I admit that Summers for me are usually slow, but not like this. Normally in these slower months of Summer it is not unheard of for me to be as slow as 4 sales a week, but 4 sales for the month!!! WOW.

Making the big bucks on Ebay.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Well, my sales were over budget. I did not put any effort in as I am moving. My buddy, who is putting the effort in, saw increasing sales through July.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Jersey, I look at yer stuff, and I don't get why you are not doing better. I am not being critical, trust me I am not. I do not know your genre.

Perhaps the use of a mannequin for photos? For $150 I really think you should have 12 pictures. At the $150 level, I am not calling it free (duh!), I do shipping included. I do not know yer cost structure, so, I am more asking than even remotely suggesting.

You description, I "think" is great, but, I am someone who reads. Most buyers do not read. It is highly recommended to use bullet points that summarize. You can still keep yer description, as is, and insert bullet points in the body. Eg:

• Jersey: Player name, number, team.
  • Condition: Used with blood stains
  • Fits: My Uncle Vinny who is 56 XXXl
  • Refunds: Money back
  • Shipping: From Canada, 5-10 days to the USA, 3-5 days in Canada, worldwide varies.

That is pretty much exactly what you say, but, a whole lot less words. Keep what you write and add the above, maybe in bold, not coloured. Coloured is bad.

Remember, if I say anything of value, keep it, it is yours. Discard the rest as "Who does he think he is!!!!".

Photobucket
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

Hi Jersey...

My July sales was also VERY slow, normally ebay invoices are between $ 150 to $ 250 for a month and so far (few hours left) my invoice for July is $ 8,43.

... But like Elm I did not put any effort to increase my sale due to some personnal issues.

Also I reduce a lot my Int'l sales, due to numerous INR cases in the last 2-3 months... So, for now, I only do business with buyers who have a history with me.

Hopefully August and September we will have more ''traffic''.

Cheers !   

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

July sales were lower than last year but a heck of a lot better than June sales!

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

My eBay sales in July were relatively slow at US$ 1,639.06 but considering I am retired and June, July and August are the three slowest months of the year, results were not too bad overall. 

Hits and sales are improving from the lows experienced in late May and June.

In July I spent very little time managing my eBay store or uploading new listings as time was spent in preparing "stuff" for public auctions to be held in the Fall and packaging/shipping large "below face" lots to regular customers.  I expect August will be the same.

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Pack-o-slack-**bleep**s.:-)
Photobucket
Message 7 of 34
latest reply

My sales for this month are strong, $3,039 from 250 sales up from $1,891 last month. 

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

worrly
Community Member

I had two sales in July. first ones since May. Though the last thing I sold, a Nikon camera, buyer wanted me to ship on Aug 11. Hopefully its nothing fishy. Their feedback is good though.

I'm not bothering to list much when they expire. 

I might list auction style to save some fees, later in Sept but ebay has lost its pizzazz for me.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

Down....Down....Down....sporadic ... 

over the last three months

tolerable ... for now... but still a painful experience

The visitors and visit are there.... but they are NOT buying

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Fortunately for me July perked up in the last week (as in 3 or 4 bigger sales), and as I mentioned in another thread, eBay is holding on better than the other online sites I use. You'll see my extremely dismal results in the non-ebay places I use, which seems extraordinarily like the results many are observing here. I don't really know what I did to preserve the eBay sales, I tried a lot of things in July which was probably a mistake as I don't know what it was that worked...I do know that I am selling more items but each is a lot smaller so it is taking me a lot more work to earn the same $$$$ this year....... 

Here are my online results:

eBay:

2013 July results 7% lower than June

2014 July results 30% higher than June

2014 June results 8% lower than June 2013

2014 July results 14% higher than July 2013

non-eBay:

2013 July results 49% lower than June

2014 July results 31% lower than June

2014 June results 76% lower than June 2013

2014 July results 73% lower than July 2013

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Fortunately for me July perked up in the last week (as in 3 or 4 bigger sales), and as I mentioned in another thread, eBay is holding on better than the other online sites I use. You'll see my extremely dismal results in the non-ebay places I use, which seems extraordinarily like the results many are observing here. I don't really know what I did to preserve the eBay sales, I tried a lot of things in July which was probably a mistake as I don't know what it was that worked...I do know that I am selling more items but each is a lot smaller so it is taking me a lot more work to earn the same $$$$ this year....... 

Here are my online results:

eBay:

2013 July results 7% lower than June

2014 July results 30% higher than June

2014 June results 8% lower than June 2013

2014 July results 14% higher than July 2013

non-eBay:

2013 July results 49% lower than June

2014 July results 31% lower than June

2014 June results 76% lower than June 2013

2014 July results 73% lower than July 2013

So, Ric, what are ya saying? Your non-eBay sales are down, dramatically and it is the fault of eBay and the hack? Your eBay sales are up because everyone says sales are down and this is the worst place on earth?

Or?

Maybe, just maybe, there is a larger set of dynamics pushing and pulling all the time? Fellow seller and I were chatting last night. Our American sales are up, international is down, his Canada is down, mine is higher than it should be. His overall sales have been consistently trending up for the last two years.

Sometimes, things change abruptly. In fashion one day, out of fashion the next. Catch a wave and the wave vanishes. 35 years in the liquor business and I saw that happen over and over.

Photobucket
Message 12 of 34
latest reply

Sales to US buyers is up ..... must be getting accustomed to the higher cost of postage... up in January 2013

Sales to Canadian buyers is down.... maybe an effect of the exchange rate.... Buy in US dollars and then find out their bill is 10 % higher in Canadian dollars ....

Sales are down overall...  For  sellers of books dealing with Canadian history.... My percentage of total sales has not changed..  An effect of the hack....  traffic is slowly  moving up 

July is a big holiday month.... traffic to listings while people are on holiday.... to buy in August...  perhaps???

eBay's search engine??? ......................... An unknown reality

The future is yet to come....

My answer to  this situation... List... List... List

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

Sales to US buyers is up ..... must be getting accustomed to the higher cost of postage... up in January 2013

Sales to Canadian buyers is down.... maybe an effect of the exchange rate.... Buy in US dollars and then find out their bill is 10 % higher in Canadian dollars ....

Sales are down overall...  For  sellers of books dealing with Canadian history.... My percentage of total sales has not changed..  An effect of the hack....  traffic is slowly  moving up 

July is a big holiday month.... traffic to listings while people are on holiday.... to buy in August...  perhaps???

eBay's search engine??? ......................... An unknown reality

The future is yet to come....

My answer to  this situation... List... List... List

I have been doing a lot of the same things for six years now. Time for a change. When I get to Dauphin I will have the ability to start over. A very rare opportunity.

Photobucket
Message 14 of 34
latest reply

Hi MrE, well to be honest as I mentioned, I don't really know why ebay for me was better in July, and why eBay for me was better than it seems it was for many others. I did do a lot of things/experiments, apparently something worked, I just wish I knew what it was.

I am very thankful that July was as good as it was......
Message 15 of 34
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
Hi MrE, well to be honest as I mentioned, I don't really know why ebay for me was better in July, and why eBay for me was better than it seems it was for many others. I did do a lot of things/experiments, apparently something worked, I just wish I knew what it was.

I am very thankful that July was as good as it was......

I keep harping on that. The complainers never try anything and then complain that the same old isn't working.

The non-complainers keep talking about trying different things and then say "I don't know what I did, but, it worked". Well, DUH? You tried!

I am getting into the rhythm of the free listings, after I have used up my 500. The free ones, I do DIFFERENT things. Well, the different things seem to make a difference.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 34
latest reply

Many think that with a store, it can take care of itself.... One has to work a store....  constantly evolving

Things to do...

(1) Weed out old inventory.

(2) Some inventory goes "stale"  delete 100 % and recycle ... or relist at some future date.

As an example....  Got rid of the old fogeys of hockey... biographies of those player  from the 70's and 80's....gone

and then old publications... biographies  of Prime Ministers.... gone .. kept the recent biographies

(3) Sheet music... list nothing at less than $10 to $15 dollars.

(4) Music books... do not list anything less than $10.

(5) Some  new categories.... Years ago  I found a bible in German,  almost like new.... and have sold quality bibles over the years.... many in languages other than English.

(6) Canadian art and artist

(7) Most recent ... added a category of birds and wildlife....  artwork... photographs... and a scientific content...  the scientific content is most important.

The key to a new category is to have a minimum of about 30 listings... books... and people take notice

Other new categories....  firearms, guns, hunting  and the odd unique book  that sometimes sells very quickly... There are strategies to have it sell quickly...  sales come and go...

Always taking a run at something that appears to be unique.... and many times  it sells well... very well

and then ... there are the duds...

---------------------------------------------

Many sellers are afraid to list it at a high price.......  list it right  and it will sell...

-------------------------------------------

The lower priced items pay the bills... while the higher priced items make the profit...

-----------------------------------------

Lots of old inventory from 5 years ago and back  has gone to a local auction...

Now it is books ... books... and more books on eBay... One major category... and several in support of that category, plus a few unique items up for sale.... 

What next...  it will happen.....

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

Never stop... constantly making IT happen!

The bills are paid... and now  we shall see!

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

I end sometimes 200-300 old listings, wait 2-3 days and relist them as "similar".

June was really awful, so I worked really hard and listed 800 fresh items in July - and sales are quickly back to normal level.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

It is called..

"Tickling the search engine"

Always let it know that you are there ... 

Message 20 of 34
latest reply