How would you respond to this? Need your advice.

I got this email this morning and I am unsure of what to do.  I do not ship to Thailand because mail is unreliable.  I will ship to the USA and it will be with tracking but it is a different address than what would be on file at ebay and paypal.   I would like some advice of what to respond to this person and what to do.   It is for a CD that is worth about $25.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I agree, I don't see any risk in sending something directly to Thailand especially a cheap item that it's unlikely anyone along the way would have any interest in. The Thai postal system is as good as any so unless you are shipping something that could involve a customs issue there shouldn't be any problem at all.

As far as adding addresses in a different country to a PayPal account.....you don't, you add the non-domestic address to your eBay profile then when you go through checkout it will be an option to use for PayPal. Now maybe things have changed since the eBay/PayPal split but that's the way it has always needed to be done for Canadian users and for users in other countries outside the US. (no idea how it works for US users).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

View solution in original post

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

musicyouneed wrote:

I emailed the seller and he changed his address on ebay and paypal to his friends in the USA and bought the item.  I sent it off today, USPS first class this morning with tracking.   Now how did he change his paypal address from Thailand to the USA and I have been with paypal for over 15 years and I can't add a US address when I have a bank account in the US tied to my paypal account and tax number for the US.  

Some of you have been able to do that.  I would like to know how.  There must be some thing I am missing.  How someone from Thailand can do it and I can't just baffles me.  

As mentioned earlier in this topic, any ebayer can have multiple shipping addresses with no restriction on country. The buyer added their USA shipping address to their list of shipping addresses and made it their Primary Shipping Address and bought the item. The sale information is sent to PayPal with the addresses used to purchase the item.

This is how an ebayer in Canada can have a USA address in eBay to ship to a border USA location and pick it up. Same for snowbirds who live in Canada in the summer and the USA in winter.

The buyer does not have the out of country address in PayPal.

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

@musicyouneed wrote:

I got this email this morning and I am unsure of what to do.  I do not ship to Thailand because mail is unreliable.  I will ship to the USA and it will be with tracking but it is a different address than what would be on file at ebay and paypal.   I would like some advice of what to respond to this person and what to do.   It is for a CD that is worth about $25.

Could be for real, or, add Thailand, they buy, with a Thailand address, despite what they promised.  I do believe the buyer can add a US address and buy from there.

Suppose you do all of what they want and they buy with a Thailand address? You can refund the sale through Dispute Resolution citing "problem with buyer's address" as the reason.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Tell the buyer to make their friend's address on ebay their Primary shipping address and try again.

And ship with tracking to the USA so you know it arrived. 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

I'd ask the buyer to add the US address to both their eBay and Paypal accounts before buying. 

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

Yes, that's right. The paypal shipping address is the place to actually have to ship the item to. 

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

You can't add an address to paypal.  I tried many times as I have an address in the US that I have items shipped to.

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

Of course you can.

I have two. 

Three if you count the unfortunate time that I ordered something through GSP and got the hub in Kentucky stuck on my account. 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

Go to the gear at top right.

Screen Shot 2016-08-18 at 11.19.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-18 at 11.20.05 AM.png

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

You get to the second screen capture by clicking the plus sign.

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

I know that we can't add US to our Canadian paypal account. I think that would apply to Thailand.   This is from a paypal thread and is from 2016, so is pretty up to date.   I just tried to add my US address a few minutes ago and I couldn't.  

uspaypal.jpg

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

I don't know what to tell you. I have always had a USA address and a Canadian address on both my ebay and paypal accounts.I use them weekly. 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

Mine doesn't look anything like that.  To add an address this is what I get:

paypal address.jpg

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

Have you tired to create an entirely new account? 

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

I have a US and a Canadian address on paypal as well.

It's possible that you have to add the US address to you eBay account before you can add it to your paypal account.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Sylvie, did you do yours recently? Mine has been like this since 2008, I think. Maybe we were grandfathered into paypal that way.

Or maybe you have to force it to paypal.

I noticed that in addition to the GSP Kentucky hub being one of my 'addresses' so are USA retailers with ship-to-store as an option. I certainly never added those locations myself, only bought something wand paid with paypal while picking ship-to-store. That would 'force' it to be accepted as an address.

And I didn't myself add the Kentucky hub. That again appeared automatically after my one GSP purchase on that account. 

Message 15 of 31
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Sylvie, did you do yours recently? Mine has been like this since 2008, I think. Maybe we were grandfathered into paypal that way.

I thought that might be the case until you said that yours was related to the GSP.  That would be more recent.

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

The GSP one isn't my American ship-to address, just another that added itself. But I did try the GSP right in the beginning, when it first came into the foray. "How bad can it be?" I asked myself. Well.... 

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Back to the original question.

Many overseas buyers use a US-based reshipping service.

Most of these are in Calfornia, serving the Asian market or Florida, serving South America and the Caribbean.

If the buyer asked in the email that was removed (Not helpful, lizzier!) to send to one of those, you should have no problem.

Look up the address on Google-- I find that is often reassuring.

If you are concerned you can cancel the bid, or if you work quickly, the sale using the reason "Not a Destination I Ship To".

It is also time to revisit your Blocked Destinations list, I guess. Those seem to disappear intermittently.

Message 18 of 31
latest reply

California, really? All the freight-forwarding businesses I've shipped to have been located in New Jersey. 

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

"All the freight-forwarding businesses I've shipped to have been located in New Jersey. "

Many of my Russian customers have used New York (Brooklyn); buyers in Central/South America have used Miami, FL; Far East buyers have used LA, CA.

Message 20 of 31
latest reply