I can feel it coming.

So I sold a guy a very expensive sterling silver bracelet on a best offer. I got a message from him today that the terminals (ends) are "dinged, stained and warped terminals". I find this a little hard to believe as the terminals are solid silver 5 mm thick by 1 " wide.

I asked him to send me pictures of the damage so I could determine if it was done in shipping. He replied that the packaging was intact and there was no damage in shipping insinuating that it was like this before I sent it to him. He also says he has no camera to take pictures and wouldn't know how to attach them If he did. I told him to return the item for inspection if he can't take pictures.

I smell a bait and switch coming. I highly doubt that what comes back will be what I sent. What do you suggest I do? Is it to early to contact eBay for their help? Haw Haw The only thing I can think of doing is opening it at the PO and taking pictures of what comes back if eBay even cares.

Your suggestions please.

Item #251435391978

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

I can feel it coming.

Since the buyer is not a newcomer (already has over 50 feedback rating) I would consider the claim legitimate and write:

"I am truly sorry the "Big, bold, chunky lapis and coral coblestone inlay sterling bracelet" did not meet with your approval. As evidenced by my extensive positive feedback, everything I sell is fully guaranteed.

Please return the bracelet at your earliest convenience and a full refund, including the shipping charge, will be processed through PayPal immediately upon receipt. For your safety, please return the bracelet with tracking and signature requited."

With luck the buyer may return the bracelet directly without filing a claim through eBay/PayPal resulting in a "default" to your account.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I can feel it coming.

I looked at the item you sold and to me it looks like condition is very poor.

Is it supposed to be dinged and uneven like that with that much damage to the stones?

Maybe it is and I just don't understand the "art" of it and if so please correct me.

To me it looks like the bracelet is in very rough shape.

I wouldn't buy an item in that condition.

Could that be the reason you're having this problem now?

If that is the case the buyer probably just wants a return the item for a refund.

Why suspicious?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I can feel it coming.

I once sold a magnetic bracelet to someone and after they received it they sent me a message "When I opened the package the beads all fell off the string". Now, I know they are lying. It's magnetic. LOL. But I politely said "Please take a picture of the damaged bracelet or return it to me and I will give you a full refund." NEVER heard from him again. I sent him three more e-mails requesting the above as I wanted to make it right. Point is, he thought I would freak out and automatically refund him.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I can feel it coming.

I told him he could return it which he apparently has done.

My question was what to do if it comes back as something totally different than what I sent. Wouldn't be the first time I had that happen.

The so called damage is to the terminals which are the end pieces of the bracelet. The are supposed to be dented, twisted and warped. You can see in the pics there is nothing wrong with them.

The bracelet is called cobblestone inlay, hence the apparent unevenness of the settings. Coral, by nature is rough and porous as it has branches coming off it. The piece is not a channel inlay and is not meant to be smooth. There is no damage to the stones and that is not what he is complaining about. I'm suspicious because he refused to send pics of the damage.

My question was what to do if he returns something different. Is there any protection for a seller if the buyer tries this?

Thanks

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I can feel it coming.

" what to do if it comes back....."

Frankly it is impossible to answer such hypothetical question.  Let's cross that bridge if we get there.  Hopefully not.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I can feel it coming.

I checked the listing. This falls under the heading of "If you don't like the answer, do not ask the question".

Those pictures are less than good and do not even show the ends. You pretty much have the same picture seven times. Buyer got it, rotated it for the additional views and said to themselves "This is not what I expected".

Expect to get it back.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I can feel it coming.

Wow what a helpful answer.

People don't buy jewelry because of what the back of it looks like, although three quarters of the back was shown in the last picture. I do expect to get it back and said so in both my postings. Does it look warped to you?

I suspect it either doesn't fit him or he has tried to re-size it and damaged it. I guess I'll wait to see like what happens like Pierre suggests and then ask for eBay's help if needed.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I can feel it coming.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with holymygold.  It is a "damaged" item with lots of dings on the stones and for that price, wow!  It cannot be considered as "good".

Hope this buyer returns it with a tracking number or else you would be out of the item and $$$ at the same time.  Good luck.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I can feel it coming.

@judithsjewellery wrote:

Wow what a helpful answer.

People don't buy jewelry because of what the back of it looks like, although three quarters of the back was shown in the last picture. I do expect to get it back and said so in both my postings. Does it look warped to you?

I suspect it either doesn't fit him or he has tried to re-size it and damaged it. I guess I'll wait to see like what happens like Pierre suggests and then ask for eBay's help if needed.

I cannot tell anything, as, like I said, you have the same basic picture several times.

Any seller's first line of defense is pictures: "Take pictures like you have no description". You have twelve free pictures you can use at the top. They are fast and easy to load. eBay encourages everyone to utilize that free feature.

Buyer bought based on what they thought. When they got the piece it was not what they thought.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 10
latest reply