I have a question about mail on Family Day Feb 20th

If I am reading this correctly, Canada Post will be collecting and delivering mail on Monday, Feb. 20th? Even though my little rural PO is closed? So I can drive to town to mail on Monday and my mail will be shipped that day?

Find out operating hours on holidays | Canada Post:

Canada Post is closed on national, provincial and territorial holidays, with no collection or delivery of mail on those days.* However, post offices operated by the private sector will be open according to the hours of service of the host business.

*Regular collection and delivery of mail occurs on provincial Family Day holidays, Louis Riel Day (Man.) and Islander Day (P.E.I.).

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hi, I live in BC our family day was Feb 13/17.  We had mail delivery although our particular outlet was closed but others in malls were open and had mail pickup.  Family day is a provincial holiday not a federal one. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

That's right. Canada Post employees are federal, not provincial. This is the official place to check for CPC-related statutory holidays https://www.canadapost.ca/web/en/kb/details.page?article=find_out_operating_h&cattype=kb&cat=sending...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Your PO should not be closed.  I live in a tiny village, and our PO will be open Monday on Family Day, and mail will move into and out of the village on the normal schedule.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

We mail at a Shoppers Drug Mart, and they will be closed on Monday. I just saw that it's Presidents Day in the US on Monday, so US buyers will understand the delay in shipping.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I just called the authorized postal agent dealer in the Rexal nearest me to clarify their business hours on Louis Riel Day in Manitoba. 

They are open 10 am to 5 pm on Monday.

I surmise it's being left to the discretion of the individual stores if it's a counter in a retail location.

Best to call ahead. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

You're right, for authorized dealer post offices in drug stores and whatnot, it's up to the host company to set the hours for Monday.

At the Shoppers Drug Mart I work at the post office will be open 10 am to 6 pm. Others may be open earlier/later, some may be open regular hours, and some may be closed entirely. Mail collection/delivery should still be operating as normal.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Data point for Galt, Ontario:

Shoppers Drug Mart postal outlet for the Monday holiday, open noon to 4pm.

-..-

Message 8 of 8
latest reply