I just had a Late Shipping Defect removed by eBay.

I received a "late" shipping defect a few days ago because of the potential Canada Post lock out/employee strike fiasco that's been going on since Jun.24/16.

eBay kept their word in removing potential late shipment defects/feedback issues directly related to the Canada Post mail disruption.  

The late shipment "defect" was removed within 24hrs of me calling eBay customer service.

The only reason I received the defect was because I uploaded the tracking info for the sales transaction, it wasn't given by the buyer . 

Just a warning/reminder incase any seller forgets... if you hold sold items for a buyer to combine over a 2-4 week period before you mail out the package and you upload a Tracking Number for each item, you will receive a "late" shipment defect automatically for the items that fall out of the shipping time guidelines that ebay has implemented.  

As a seller, I'm here to accommodate my buyers and next time, I will not upload the Tracking info but send a message to the buyer and include the Tracking Number. 

eBay might not have removed the "defect" if it wasn't for the Canada Post situation....

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is on eBay's evil for doing that.  That page for "late delivery" MUST be removed immediately.  We have NO control of the length of mail delivery, it is NOT our fault.  Should USA decide to stop all packages (I live in Canada) at custom borders, then we would get late delivery for ALL of them!!  Horror!! 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I don't mind the shipping time lines eBay implements, it's the common sense that seems to be missing from their ideology when setting guidelines for Sellers to adhere too.

I purchase items from a seller in New York on a semi-regular basis and it usually takes 8-10 days for the item to arrive.

One particular occasion the item I purchased from the same seller in New York was sent to Ireland by accident, and by the time the package made it's way back to me, 4 weeks had gone by. 

Was this the sellers fault? No, it was a shipping glitch by USPS, yet the seller will receive a Late Shipping Defect because of a problem with the Postal Carrier (USPS) that was completely out of his control.

Customs can also cause extended shipping delays.... there is just too many shipping variables that can happen to any particular package. 

eBay should focus on when the item was shipped out and not when an item is received or find another avenue to which it can rate it's sellers performance.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

eBay does take into consideration that a seller might have issues beyond their control like the shipping example you described and allows a few defects to be received. Is what eBay allows for defects for those situations enough. I don't know.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

"eBay does take into consideration that a seller might have issues beyond their control like the shipping example you described and allows a few defects to be received."

This is where the common sense comes into play... eBay should remove the defects that are received for these particular situations, especially if the seller is proactive in following up with eBay customer service.   

Like I said in my first post, I don't know if eBay would have removed the defect if it wasn't for the Canada Post situation.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I am glad to know they removed it. Although you still had to call. That is just unfair. The should remove it automatically.

I just got one too for a package that was shipped late June and received almost one month later. Even though I told the buyer what impact it would have for me, she still answered "no" to the question. Do I absolutely have to call to have it removed?

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

This is strange... my response to this thread has completely disappeared... ?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Yes it did... I sent you a response and it wasn't accepted so I went back to the original thread and it disappeared.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I wonder why... never received a message from the moderator regarding this. I don't exactly remember what I said, but I'll try to re-write it... Just got a similar situation to yours (package from Quebec to Florida sent June 25 and arrived on July 23). Told the buyer what it would mean to me if she answered "no", but she did anyway. I wonder if I absolutely have to call to have my late defect removed. EBay should do it automatically.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

"never received a message from the moderator regarding this"

I also had a few posts removed in the last few months without any correspondence from Lithium.

And life does go on.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Since there was actually no mail disruption, only threats by Canada Post to lockout it's employees. 

Of course this was reason enough "not" to ship anything out and motivate sellers to put their stores on vacation. 

Why did the package arrive a month later?

Was the package sent with a tracking number?

What was the reason for the delivery delay? 

You will have to call eBay customer service, eBay won't remove the "defect" automatically. 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I really don't know why it arrived so late. My guess is that it was caused by Canada Post employees. When the threat of a strike and then the threat of a lockout were upon us, the company where I work had many packages arriving late, even with the Xpresspost service. Some kind of pressure by the workers? Maybe, maybe not. But it was a strange coincidence.

My package was sent by Light Packet (no tracking or delivery confirmation), so I really don't know if it was just retained at custom (which seems unprobable, because it was just a $20 item, but you never know), or sent at a different address for no reason, or maybe just delayed at a sorting point.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

"(package from Quebec to Florida sent June 25 and arrived on July 23)".

If there was no tracking number how do you know it arrived on July.23/16?

eBay wanted Sellers to keep their stores open during the potential Canada Post lockout/strike situation and said it would protect it's Sellers from Late Shipping Defects/Negative Feedback so I would call eBay customer service and have the "defect" removed from your account. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

The buyer told me.

Context: she first opened an INR case with eBay just asking when the pacakge was shipped. I think she just wanted to write me a message, but unfortunately, when a buyer choose "I did not receive my item", it automatically opens a case. Anyway, I used some of 'ricarmic' pretyped messages to respond (thanks ric!) and customized it asking the buyer to wait a little bit. I promised I would refund on July 23 if she did not receive the item by then (the case said I had until July 25 to respond, but I did not want the buyer to wait too much). And just when I logged in to refund the buyer, I had a message from her confirming the photo had arrived, that she closed the case and there was no need to refund.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

At least she was honest about it arriving....

So she left you Positive Feedback and checked off the item delivered on or after circle... which left you with a late shipping defect.

Like I said in my previous post you decided to stay open during the potential Canada Post lockout/strike situation so eBay needs to honor their commitment to Sellers and remove the defect.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply