I need answers to the whether I need to move my store to .com or not

Okay....I have an ebay.ca store. All of my listings are in USD. The location of the majority of the products are in the USA because our manufacturer drop ships from that location.

I tried to call ebay support and ask this question but I am not sure I got the proper answers. The woman on the phone didn't seem to know anything about the upcoming changes.

So, I was told that because the location of the product was in the USA that I did not need to move them to the .com for a USD listing because they would already be listed there but I don't think that is correct.

When I run the tool, all of these listings show up as non-compliant listings that need to be moved or converted.

My other question I asked her was if I move all of my listings to .com do I need to close my .ca store and open a .com store.

Again I was told no but even when I am on the .com website and click to manage my store, it brings up the .ca store manager.

So I am totally lost. If I follow the instructions of the person in support and do nothing, will all of my listings be switched to CDN in June and cause us to lose money or will they still be in USD because the product is located in USA?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

"My other question I asked her was if I move all of my listings to .com do I need to close my .ca store and open a .com store."

Definitely NOT.

An eBay store is a collection of ALL your listings on ALL sites in ALL currencies.

So if you maintain your eBay store on eBay.ca you pay lower fees (billed in Cdn$) compared to eBay.com where the same amount is billed in US$.

So your eBay.ca store could contain eBay.com listings exclusively or a combination of listings on eBay.com i n US$ and eBay.ca in Cdn$

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

"click to manage my store, it brings up the .ca store manager."

That is now normal.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

The location of the majority of the products are in the USA because our manufacturer drop ships from that location.

First : If you are shipping from the USA you need to change the location on the listings to the USA.

Otherwise, at some point a Canadian customer is going to be charged duty and SALES TAX and be furious.

This may also help you make more sales* to xenophobic US buyers.

In my opinion it all comes down to shipping.

Since you are charging shipping, and your items are not going LetterRate, you should be on the site that allows you Calculated Shipping.

So for you specifically, that would be dotCOM.

The woman on the phone didn't seem to know anything about the upcoming changes.

How was she on the concept of 'Canada'?

The customer service people are working a minimum wage/ high stress job. Turnover must be rapid.

So, I was told that because the location of the product was in the USA that I did not need to move them to the .com for a USD listing because they would already be listed there but I don't think that is correct.

Sort of.

If you ship to a location, your listing will show on the site for that location.

Since you ship to Germany for example, your items show on ebay.de.

On the German site, the Search shows your price in euros. On the US site, Search shows USD. And on dotCA, Search shows the price in loonies.

The actual listing shows both the listing currency and the local currency.

Did you know you ship to Belarus? You might want to look at your international destinations.

Our existing listings are grandfathered until August.

It's a good time to reread and reconsider every listing. Even at one a day, you would be done before July.

*If the majority of sales are tho the USA, it wouldn't hurt to have 'Made in USA" in the listing. Adding a flag would be tacky, though.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

As already mentioned there is no need to make any changes to your store location as items listed on other sites will show in your store.

You can list in on .ca in $cdn and as long as you have shipping to the US your listings will be seen there. But if you want to list in USDollars you will have to list on .com.

One thing that I'm confused about.... I checked a couple of your listing where the item location was stated as being in the states but you are using Canada post shipping options.  If your shipping from the states you can't be usin Canada post so if you list on .ca you will have to use generic shipping methods on your listings.  Also...if the items are in the U.S. Why is shipping to Canada less expensive?

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Most of my listings list the location as in the USA with the exception of the products we manufacture at our location here in Canada.

So if I leave them as is, when July rolls around, will eBay convert the USD amount into the current exchange rate ? ie: a product listed for $799 USD will then be converted to $1,032 CAD or will it just list it as $799 CAD?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

eBay will not automatically change them. Listings that were set up in US dollars on .ca will have to be changed by you to Canadian dollars. If they are gtc listings you have until August to do that. Other $US listings won't renew once they end after June 13 .  There is a migration tool that is supposed to help you make the changes in bulk although it seems the kinks are still being worked out for it.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Pierre wrote: "So if you maintain your eBay store on eBay.ca you pay lower fees (billed in Cdn$) compared to eBay.com where the same amount is billed in US$.

Is the billing based on the  Canadian amount? If you are billed in Canadian after the currency exchange, and if you are billed in USD on USD funds, is the amount billed basically the same?

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@jersey..authentix wrote:

Pierre wrote: "So if you maintain your eBay store on eBay.ca you pay lower fees (billed in Cdn$) compared to eBay.com where the same amount is billed in US$.

Is the billing based on the  Canadian amount? If you are billed in Canadian after the currency exchange, and if you are billed in USD on USD funds, is the amount billed basically the same?

If you have a .ca store and you are billed iIn Canadian dollars for your store  there is no currency exchange.  If your store is on .ca and you are billed in $US the amount will be converted based on the Cdn subscription amount.  For example, in April I was billed $US 15.50 for my .ca basic store.  (C$19.95)

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Gotcha. I was thinking more on the line of FVF on individual listings, not on monthly fees for a store.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

No.

There is a lot of confusion on these boards between what eBay actually invoices a seller and the "billing currency"

Please allow me to recap.

If a store is located on eBay.com, the charge will be in US$

If a store is located on eBay.ca, the charge will be in Cdn$

If a listing is located on eBay.com, in US$, the fees charged by eBay will be in US$ (it does not matter if the buyer is located in the USA, in Canada, in Europe, in the UK, or anywhere in the world)

If a listing is located on eBay.ca, in Cdn$, the fees charged by eBay will be in Cdn$ (it does not matter if the buyer is located in the USA, in Canada, in Europe, in the UK, or anywhere in the world)

All above charges refer to what eBay invoices a seller.

Now, a seller can select to be billed in Cdn$ or US$ (the billing currency). 

If the seller has selected US$ for billing currency, eBay will charge US$ for US$ fees and will convert Cdn$ fees into US$ to whatever method of payment the seller has selected (credit card, PayPal, etc...)

If the seller has selected Cdn$ for billing currency, eBay will charge Cdn$ for Cdn$ fees and will convert US$ fees into Cdn$ to whatever method of payment the seller has selected (credit card, PayPal, etc...)

Message 11 of 11
latest reply