I need help to understand the requirements for selling

kaqueline
Community Member
Hello

I posted this question yesterday in the ‘’Answer Center’’, but I see this board here is more busy (and that I might get a reply faster.)

I am confused with the term “selling internationally’’ and the requirements to do so.

I am a new Ebay member. I am registered on Ebay.ca, and I list my items on Ebay.ca.

I had listed some items but I am not sure I did everything correctly.

One of the requirements to sell internationally is to have at least 10 feedbacks as seller, which I don't have.

However when I listed my items, there was shipping options for other countries. And so I did choose to offer to ship to both Canada and the USA.

Am I actually allowed to do that? Can I offer to ship my items outside of Canada?

My items didn't sell, and I would like to re-list them. But I want to make sure I do everything right.

So can I offer to ship outside of Canada?

Or am I supposed to only offer shipping to Canada until I fulfill all the requirements?

Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I saw your query yesterday but did not reply because I don't have an actual answer for you.

Can you cite by screenshot or link the policy that states you can't sell outside the country until you have a feedback of ten or more? Some part of that rings a bell but I cannot place the reason. Where did you read this? I suspect it is either flat-out incorrect, or out-of-date, but I need to see it before I can rule it out completely. 

Reason being that my FIRST auction sale went to a bidder/buyer in Australia. That is as international as one gets.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Can you cite by screenshot or link the policy that states you can't sell outside the country until you have a feedback of ten or more?

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/questions/sell_international_requirements.html

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Thank you. However. As we have seen in the past, many of the Help pages to be found on ebay Canada are not supposed to still be there as those policies have been replaced but ebay Canada has not gotten around to cleaning it up. Can you find that same policy on ebay.com where we know it is accurate and up-to-date? You seem to know your way around the Help pages better than most of us. 

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Never mind. http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/questions/sell_international_requirements.html

So. No, you should not sell internationally.

The Sell Form is not clever enough to withhold that data from you.

Simply set your shipping preferences for Canada only. 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I see we replied at the same time.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I am however puzzled by this policy. I see no way it being enforced. I can think of countless listings over the years of band-new sellers that have shipping Worldwide specified. Which is a recipe for disaster but happening nonetheless.

Mine among them. Two-thirds of my first 15 items sold outside Canada. and I am a compulsive rule-follower. I was on the phone continually with ebay Customer service for advice and direction in the first few months when I was a new seller and this was never flagged with me. 

Aside form that, you could sell 50 things these days to finally get 10 DSRs. Buyers simply don't leave feedback like they used to. 

But to be safe, set your shipping to Canada only. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

As a new Seller just a year ago I started with Canada and USA and had no big ebay hand come down to slap me ~ I have never offered world wide shipping even though it did/does appear in my shipping options list.  Because of the PayPal 21 day hold on funds though I would maybe recommend just starting with Canada and USA and use tracked shipping "always" ~ I think you'll find you get your PayPal funds released a bit faster that way ~ something like 3 days after delivery confirmation as opposed to having to wait the full 21 days if you ship with no tracking. I think that's how it works.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Jeepers, I need to read before I post. 'Band new sellers'. I meant, 'brand new' among many other typos. Sorry, folks. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Yes. We can share with the OP our stories of how things worked for us when starting out as new sellers as far as this policy goes but I don't think we can tell her to go ahead and ignore it and do as she pleases. That would be giving bad advice, and also get us in trouble with the moderators.

To the OP: good for you for taking to time to read ahead on all the rules for selling here. It shows you will make an excellent and conscientious seller. I am intrigued by the items you are selling from your collection. I used to make miniatures in pottery. Yours are very cute. 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Point taken 🙂

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Another thing you can try if you have the time is to call ebay support and ask them ... I was on the ebay.com boards and ebay members were saying they were actually literally blocked from selling internationally (they got an error message with the selling internationally requirements listed ) ... so I would recommend perhaps using the help&contact link on any page and click off selling ...problems .. whatever can get you the ebay phone icon  so you can try calling and asking an ebay rep since it would not appear that you have literally been blocked from offering shipping outside of Canada .... 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Boy I am having a hard time to reply to this thread, I don't know where to click and so I hope I'm doing this ok, lol

Thank you very much for all your help & advice! I ended up calling one of the help line and asked about the requirement.

The lady I spoke with told me that having 10 feedbacks is not necessary but rather strongly suggested in order to acquire experience in selling before selling to other countries, as well for buyers to feel more trust with a seller who has at least a bit of experience.

She suggested that I list my items only to Canada & USA to begin with, and get accustomed to selling. When I build a better reputation, I may then look into selling & shipping worldwide.

It begs the question, why is there requirements if one is not obligated to fulfill them....? 

I think I'm going to take the ''in between'' position and do as the lady suggested. Limit my shipping to Canada & USA and wait to have 10+ feedbacks before offering my items anywhere else.

To mjwl2006: 

I actually bought all my miniatures on Ebay, back in the late 90s. Bidding was one scary thing to do back then. I had a friend a lot more brave than I was and she was the one with the account doing all the bidding for me....omg do you realize this was back when sellers took cheques and money order as payments!? From start to end, a normal transaction between Canada & USA would take anywhere from 3 weeks to a month!! LOL

Thank you again!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply