I`ve Always Defended Zero Feedback Buyers ......

....... and I still do.  In fact, there was a recent thread on this subject.

However, today I didn't know whether to get frustrated or just shake my head.  I chose the latter.

The buyer's membership date was the same as her bid on my $45 item ... so zero feedback.  She won the item but didn't pay the day the auction ended (which is often the case).  The second day, I sent a note, like I often do to new members, thanking her for her purchase and offering to assist with any questions she might have or in making payment.  On the third day, she sent me a one-liner "Sorry, I found it cheaper elsewhere".

It wasn't the fact that she was a zero feedback buyer who reneged -- I can deal with that -- it was this flippancy that made me shake my head.  I get this so often with, usually, very young girls.  Just a general lack of courtesy and disregard for any policy which might be in place, or any inconvenience this might cause to the seller.  I'm old school and just wish younger generations were taught appropriate social and business conduct.  I know I sound like I'm blaming the parents but I guess I am to a large extent.  My mother was not above giving me a swat if I wasn't courteous or respectful.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

A zero feedback person asked a question....  and wanted some  confirmation with the provision of photographs

And then... notified me they bought another book.... similar topic

My response.....  Do you want me to cancel  the book you purchased from me?

They asked for a cancellation.... Cancelled and no defect!

Buying without knowing  might be a new reality on eBay.... for a newbie....

What should a seller do?   Take it with a ton of salt and move on.. 

It happened.... and block them.... and then ... Move on

They will learn... maybe....

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Of course .... the cancellation is no problem.  If she agrees with it or if she ignores it, I still get my fees back.  I just had a few too many impolite communications this week.

But .... on the other hand, I received a lovely thank you card in the mail from a buyer who was having problems with his computer.  He wasn't able to leave feedback, so he sent a card with a very nice note thanking me for a very positive experience.  How nice!!

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Well considering what you sell I would think the vagueness of modern teenage girls (well and boys as well) probably is a fairly common occurrence.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

@craftycanadianarts wrote:
Well considering what you sell I would think the vagueness of modern teenage girls (well and boys as well) probably is a fairly common occurrence.

Unfortunately, it is fairly common -- they're a breed unto themselves.

The person referred to in my original post:  "I dont know what to do with cancellation u sent."  A note of explanation with step by step instructions was sent.  Her response:  "I cant figure it out.  I think I maybe hit no."  Yes, she did.  So I lose my fees and here comes another unwarranted defect.

Honestly!!

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I think that it would be worthwhile for you to phone ebay on this one to get your fees back and to get the defect removed if you get one.  The cs rep can ready your messages to show that the buyer requested the cancellation.

I find this system really confusing at times. I cancelled a purchase yesterday at a buyer's request. I clicked on cancel an order, checked off buyer changed mind (or whatever it says), checked off refund the buyer and I was instantly credited my fees and as far as I can tell, the buyer wasn't asked to agree or disagree with a request. So why would it work like that for me but different for you? Could it be because my buyer had already paid?

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

I agree with you 'pj' -- I'd fight this one if 'jt' can stand being on the phone with eBay CS for hours.  I too was under the impression that eBay can review messages between seller and buyer to determine what happened in cancellations.  

I also think you might be right that cancellations that involve refunds are automatically processed, I suppose the point being that if the buyer has got their money back, the transaction is effectively closed.  If a buyer hasn't yet paid, then there is the possibility they may still want the item (and are just slow paying for it).  That makes sense, but who ever expects eBay to always be logical?

'jt' I really feel for you in your category, and the experience you've related is so unfortunate for you.  You have such nicely displayed and listed items, and it sounds as if you establish a great rapport with your buyers, but there is that flightiness and irresponsibility to deal with in youngsters.  

I'm sure those of us from the "old school" could come up with a lot of different reasons for it, but I personally put it down to a general lack of training and experience in paying attention, made worse by the instant gratification of various social media that chop conversation and language (and life itself) into quickly digestible bits.  People can't read compound sentences anymore.  There is also the element of "nobody's fault" thinking that absolves people from all personal responsibility for their actions.

Training and experience in paying attention was something that both parents and schools focused on when I was young, but not anymore.  I truly don't think it's something that can be learned easily later in life.  

So much for my lecture on social mores for today.  Woman LOL   

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

There is also the element of "nobody's fault" thinking that absolves people from all personal responsibility for their actions.

BINGO!

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

I also think you might be right that cancellations that involve refunds are automatically processed, I suppose the point being that if the buyer has got their money back, the transaction is effectively closed.  If a buyer hasn't yet paid, then there is the possibility they may still want the item (and are just slow paying for it).  That makes sense, but who ever expects eBay to always be logical?

If that's the case. I don't think that it works well in all situations. A buyer may have paid but then received a refund because the seller initiated the cancellation. In that situation the buyer should have a chance to agree or disagree but I am guessing that if the seller checks off that the buyer wanted the cancellation, the buyer might not have a chance to disagree or even know what the seller had put down as a reason.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I find this system really confusing at times. I cancelled a purchase yesterday at a buyer's request. I clicked on cancel an order, checked off buyer changed mind (or whatever it says), checked off refund the buyer and I was instantly credited my fees and as far as I can tell, the buyer wasn't asked to agree or disagree with a request. So why would it work like that for me but different for you? Could it be because my buyer had already paid?

I think if the buyer utilizes the one-hour after purchase cancellation option, the seller gets his credit immediately.  I'm sure I read that somewhere.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

I'm sure those of us from the "old school" could come up with a lot of different reasons for it, but I personally put it down to a general lack of training and experience in paying attention, made worse by the instant gratification of various social media that chop conversation and language (and life itself) into quickly digestible bits.  People can't read compound sentences anymore.  There is also the element of "nobody's fault" thinking that absolves people from all personal responsibility for their actions.

Training and experience in paying attention was something that both parents and schools focused on when I was young, but not anymore.  I truly don't think it's something that can be learned easily later in life.  

So much for my lecture on social mores for today.  Woman LOL   

You know, rose-dee, you've hit the nail on the head, only you've expressed it much more articulately than I could have.  With specific reference to your comment regarding the lack of personal responsibility displayed by so many of the younger generation, this was certainly evidenced by her response after I had clearly explained the purpose of the cancellation and the importance of retrieving my fees from eBay.  She prefaced her statement that she thought she might have hit the "not agree" box with a ha-ha-ha and ended with an LOL.

I've had much, much worse transactions, but I was thinking of her and "her kind" this afternoon.  I had this vision where after the older generations have passed on, the planet will be populated with people who can't read or write proper English, have no understanding of courtesy, respect or accountability and not even know that vocal cords can be used for communication purposes.  I know I'm painting them with all with the same brush but I'm trying to see the humour in all of this.  As well, I'm so grateful that I'll be gone when this scenario becomes reality.

I think I will call eBay tonight and see if I can get this straightened out.  

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

With specific reference to your comment regarding the lack of personal responsibility displayed by so many of the younger generation,

I'm in an "older" generation as are most of the people I know....many of them exhibit just as much lack of personal responsibility as the younger generation. There always seems to someone else to blame for just about everything.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

I must say I'm very fortunate to not encounter such buyers lately, other than a couple who e-mailed me last year via my website, asked a tons of questions (including a discount which I agreed to), and THEN completely disappeared without saying another word. But yeah, teenage girls these days can be... argh. And I'm still in my 20's. What happened in the past few years? Smiley Indifferent

On a "current generation" note, the worst horror story I have to share was dealing with a 7 years old boy at work. Only kid in the family so he was probably spoiled by his parents and grandparents. I spent my whole day translating for the darn kid and his parents and grandpa (parents and grandpa are very polite)... and translation is NOT part of my job description. Doing the extra translation really takes up a lot of my time.

The kid never said thank you or anything like that (while the parents and grandpa said it every time), and at some point the mom told the kid "son, say thank you to the nice girl" ... guess what the kid said? "Can you stop bothering me every hour and leave me alone?" and then proceeds to ignore me and play his iPad. Hey, I'm not bugging him regularly because I wanted to... it's part of my job. 

Hard to imagine the kid to have such terrible manner when the parents are complete opposite. 

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

BUT, I also had to deal with a 37 years old white lady with even worse manner. She was literally nitpicking on everything she could think of. Even her husband apologized to me for her behaviour when she was out of earshot.

So, I suppose it's really not so much about the generation and age, but rather how some people are brought up.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I think if the buyer utilizes the one-hour after purchase cancellation option, the seller gets his credit immediately.  I'm sure I read that somewhere.

You're right that in that situation that the seller does get credited right away but in this situation, my  buyer didn't use the one hour cancellation option. She didn't ask me to cancel it until the next day.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

@recped wrote:

With specific reference to your comment regarding the lack of personal responsibility displayed by so many of the younger generation,

I'm in an "older" generation as are most of the people I know....many of them exhibit just as much lack of personal responsibility as the younger generation. There always seems to someone else to blame for just about everything.

I agree that there are people in all age groups that don't accept responsibility for their own actions but in some cases I do think that the current generation is encouraged to be like that. For example, a few years ago a teacher in Alberta was fired because he gave students a zero on assignments that weren't turned in. That school had a no zero policy so if the semester was graded on 10 assignments and the student turned in just 1 assignment, their whole mark would be based on that one assignment. What does that teach the students who do all of the assignments? They get treated the same way as the slackers.

There are also schools that no longer give achievement awards because it's not fair that the students who have higher marks (and perhaps work harder) get recognized because it isn't 'fair' to the other students and isn't good for their self esteem.

I don't understand how these sort of attitudes prepares kids for the 'real' world.  Life is not always fair and in most cases an employer is not going to treat an employee who doesn't do their work the same way as an employee who does do their work.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't understand how these sort of attitudes prepares kids for the 'real' world.  Life is not always fair and in most cases an employer is not going to treat an employee who doesn't do their work the same way as an employee who does do their work.

I believe it is just the unholy evolution of rampant political correctness. We are raising a whole generation of weak, self entitled wimps. Of course that's easy for me to spout off about as my wife & I don't have any children. 

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I agree that there are people in all age groups that don't accept responsibility for their own actions but in some cases I do think that the current generation is encouraged to be like that. For example, a few years ago a teacher in Alberta was fired because he gave students a zero on assignments that weren't turned in. That school had a no zero policy so if the semester was graded on 10 assignments and the student turned in just 1 assignment, their whole mark would be based on that one assignment. What does that teach the students who do all of the assignments? They get treated the same way as the slackers.

There are also schools that no longer give achievement awards because it's not fair that the students who have higher marks (and perhaps work harder) get recognized because it isn't 'fair' to the other students and isn't good for their self esteem.

Wow, I didn't realize that our education system is full of so much bull**bleep** nowadays.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

The more things change the more they stay the same.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.  Children are not tyrants, not the servants of their households.  They no longer rise when elders enter the room.  They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

------Socrates (469-399 B.C.)

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

The more things change the more they stay the same.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.  Children are not tyrants, not the servants of their households.  They no longer rise when elders enter the room.  They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

------Socrates (469-399 B.C.)

lol

I guess things really haven't changed much.

Message 20 of 24
latest reply