Identifying these Hand Painted Tiles

Hi All,

Got these tiles from a friend whose relatives had traveled to Italy, Portugal and Egypt among other places in the late 1800's, early 1900's. Trying to determine the origin of these tiles. They are hand painted, show crazing, they were removed from a wall by the look of the back. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carol

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Treasure,

Thank you so much for all your input!! I felt there was something special about the tiles, I will definitely have them appraised. My friend has a few more and I will try and get a pic and post them for you, maybe it would help with the puzzle, lol. 

Thanks again,

Carol

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@collectabuzz wrote:

Hi All,

Got these tiles from a friend whose relatives had traveled to Italy, Portugal and Egypt among other places in the late 1800's, early 1900's. Trying to determine the origin of these tiles. They are hand painted, show crazing, they were removed from a wall by the look of the back. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carol

Hi Carol. I have an idea of what these are but if I might ask a question first. What are the dimensions? LxW and thickness.

Cheers,

thD

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I don't know anything about tiles, but this might help.

At least it's the same theme.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/853100-1083/3-Tiles-Ramos-Rejano-Pottery-Antique

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I don't know anything about tiles, but this might help.

At least it's the same theme.

http://www.rubylane.com/item/853100-1083/3-Tiles-Ramos-Rejano-Pottery-Antique

I love tiles, especially medieval ones.

Those Spanish ones are nice but pending the response on the size of the OP's tiles ( I just want to rule something out) her tiles aren't from Spain and they are pretty darn interesting. I wish there was more info about how they were acquired.

Cheers,

thD

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Hi Treasure,

Thanks for the response. Dimensions are: 2.75 inches x 2.75 inches

Carol

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Thanks for the response Syvie, they are indeed similar :).

Carol

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@collectabuzz wrote:

Hi Treasure,

Thanks for the response. Dimensions are: 2.75 inches x 2.75 inches

Carol

Ok cool.

So here is some interesting info about those tiles.

First, if they are from anywhere other than England and perhaps a small chance France, I would be very surprised. With the style of glaze and what looks to be the color of the clay it definitely supports this.

The one on the right end  is a very early "Griffin" representation. At the time they still referred to it as an Eagle Lion or Lion Eagle. It's a very prolific heraldic mark . It actually looks to be the "2 headed" variety but is that a little damage on the one side of the head?

I believe the one on the other end is a Griffin as well but very crudely done and "in the style" of some early Spanish work I have seen.

I can definitely see the Spanish influence here in the left most griffin however it is an artist's rendering of a Spanish Griffin and not one done by a Spanish artist I wouldn't imagine. The other griffin is again very similar to early Spanish work but just not the same so again I believe a rendering by an artist of something they had seen. Also, the glaze isn't right for Spanish work. That black one was also used extensively in Germany but just a little different so I don't think it's German at all.

This sort of copying of artistic style, pictures etc. is quite common as the artists of the time were always copying either things they had seen in other countries or things that had been described to them by others that had travelled. A great deal of art like this was brought all over Europe by the Romans as well (especially the 2 headed eagle).

So the castle looks pretty simple but I think based on other tiles I have seen it is a depiction of Bodiam Castle. Now combine the castle (and the story of Bodiam Castle if you are familiar) with the Griffins as Heraldic symbols and I think that puts you to the tiles being of English origin.

Not having them in my hands it's really hard to tell just how old they are but they definitely look to be pre 20th Century but again I couldn't say for sure without actually seeing them.

In any event I am very envious as they are beautiful tiles.

I don't know if you are planning on selling them but if so please have them authenticated not only for piece of mind but also the value will go up significantly. If you are planning on keeping them I would still get it done as the authentication will be a nice addition to the display.

Anyway, best of luck with them..

I'm sort of rushed today but later when I have a little more time I will poke around a bit more and see if I can come up with any more info.

PS. I forgot to mention. Based on their size they definitely would have been part of a much larger piece of work something of an architectural type I would think.

Cheers,

thD

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Treasure,

Thank you so much for all your input!! I felt there was something special about the tiles, I will definitely have them appraised. My friend has a few more and I will try and get a pic and post them for you, maybe it would help with the puzzle, lol. 

Thanks again,

Carol

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@collectabuzz wrote:

, I will definitely have them appraised. ..................

Just curious:  How would you go about doing that?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@collectabuzz wrote:

, I will definitely have them appraised. ..................

Just curious:  How would you go about doing that?

An authentication would be the first step and that would best be done at the closest university that has a good historical art, European history etc dept that there would be a knowledgeable staff to have alook at them. Whenever I get something that I need this done I head off to U of T here and can generally find someone or get poiinted in the right direction.. Once they are authenticated, most of your larger "high end" auction houses will have someone on staff who will look at them and appraise their value.

It can be a bit of work but nothing rewarding is ever easy right.

thD

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Yikes!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Thanks treasure, wasn't sure where to start, lol. I'm in Montreal so maybe the Museum of Fine Arts. I will try and contact someone there and see what happens. Not sure if McGill University could help but also an option. Very exciting adventure !! Will keep you and Sylvie posted of results.

Cheers,

Carol

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@collectabuzz wrote:

Will keep you and Sylvie posted of results.

Carol

Yes, please do.

I'm very curious to hear what you think after you've completed that process.  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 13
latest reply