If CD issues a 72 hour strike notice on Aug 25/16, what are you going to do?

Just wondering what other sellers are going to do if CP issues a 72 hour strike notice?  Last time I shut down for 3 weeks for nothing.  

I do have a way to ship to the US no problem, infact I will never use CP for the US again.  

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

It should say if CP, guess I have CD's on the mind. 

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

i didnt close lasat condinsion and i rally think that someone cant see far from there nose.t time and i will not close now.The economy in Canada isnt in great.We need this income to make a living.Im  frustrated with this situation a lot

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Just wondering what other sellers are going to do if CP issues a 72 hour strike notice?  Last time I shut down for 3 weeks for nothing. 

I'll be taking down my eBay.com listings and my eBay.CA will be converted to pickup only. UPS and FedEX just won't work as a substitute. So I'll be waiting for the news conference results.

Last time I took down all my listing the Wednesday before the planned Canada Post lockout on Monday, July 11. And had all my eBay.CA listings back up the day after the lockout was cancelled (the 10000 free listings made that an easy decision). For eBay.COM I had not been renewing since June, so still had all my free listings to use on July 11 to kickstart again.

-..-

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Since I have a Store, I can close down all my Fixed Price listings on a moment's notice.

I won't be listing any Auctions while things are up in the air.

Rather than dropping parcels into the postbox, I will take them to the Postal Outlet in the touching and hopefully not misplaced belief that they will be slightly more likely to be picked up there. Also the PO is across the street from my current favourite coffee shop.

If Canada Post announces it will be locking out its workers, I will react faster than if CUPW announces a strike.

This is on the basis that CUPW is able to use the rotating strike option, which closes down the system regionally for a few hours or days, while management can only shut down the whole system by refusiing to allow willing workers to work.

If there is a lockout, I will also be buying as much discount postage as I can in auctions, because it means Deepak Chopra and his gang have just decided to make Canada Post lose a sheissload of money,  just as they did when they locked out the workers in 2011 and will be raising prices again.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

I plan out putting my Store on Vacation Mode again with the listings visible. I will have my usual 2-3 week disclaimer that the Seller is away and there will be a delay in processing your order etc...

It worked fine last time.

Sellers who stay open should remember not to upload a Tracking Number if a sale is delayed by a few weeks as you will receive a "late" shipping defect automatically for items that fall out of the shipping time guidelines that eBay has implemented.  

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Hi Silver, did you have many sales during that time period?  Did you put them in the mail or did you hold onto them?

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

"
If there is a lockout, I will also be buying as much discount postage as I can in auctions, because it means Deepak Chopra and his gang have just decided to make Canada Post lose a sheissload of money, ju"

A lockout is fine since most of the staff stop being paid. With their margins virtually zero anyway, it doesnt really matter. What kills them is continuing with uncertainty, all the big volume mailers switch to couriers, small customers stop mailing, again but CP is still stuck with the full payroll. Should have locked them out the first day they could have. No way will CP let this drag on and let the union screw them at Xmas
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

I had about 10-15 transactions during that two week period when both sides were threatening action.

Communication is key with your buyers. Have a pre-written explanation ready so you can email everyone that has to wait for their packages.  

I held on to them because I wasn't sure if there was going to be a mail disruption. Every Buyer was very understanding and patient.

Just insure not to upload any Tracking Numbers if your going to use track-able services for any of your packages.    

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

I have 6 that I sent out over the last week and 1/2 to eastern Canada.  One today to Toronto.  I did email them and let them know that it will take about a week or so from Vancouver and if there is a postal dispute to be patient.  

If there is a strike or lockout would you email them again and let them know that if they haven't yet received it, it is stuck in the mail and to be patient. For the US ones I have that covered, I ship with Chit Chat.  Its only the fellow Canadians that I worry about.  I have noticed that they are not buying too much either.  

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

I had a few sales earlier this week that were mailed out on Monday and Tuesday, so I'm confident they will cross the US border if there's a mail disruption starting next Monday.

I held off on a few offers I received over the last couple of days because they were Buyers I wasn't familiar with and to protect myself against any mail disruption... I sold one late yesterday night but it is a regular buyer that I've dealt with over the years.

I emailed him and said not to paypal me until I had a better idea of what's going to happen with Canada Post and CUPW.

Communication is Key... I don't mind selling during the mail disruption but I prefer to have my "disclaimer" up on all my listings when I set my store on Vacation Mode. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

"If there is a strike or lockout would you email them again and let them know that if they haven't yet received it, it is stuck in the mail and to be patient."

Yes, definitely..... keep the Buyer in the loop and update them on the progress of the mail dispute.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Kudos... I just looked over your store, it's looking good... Very Professional!!

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

A lockout is fine since most of the staff stop being paid..... but CP is still stuck with the full payroll.

Ummm.

Which?

Do the locked out employees get paid? Or not?

I know striking employees are not paid, but may get some strike pay if they walk the picket line.

Maybe with a lockout the managers who pushed for the lockout should not be paid???

The 2011 lockout led directly to one of the few years when CPO actually lost money.

It continues to fascinate me that a corporation that pays its staff a good union wage and excellent benefits, delivers all over Canada, subcontracts for private firms who don't deliver to rural and isolated communities, and has lower rates than private firms is still (usually) able to turn a profit which is paid into the Government of Canada coffers.

In 2012 Canada Post rebounded to post a profit of $98 million before tax. In 2013 Canada Post lost $37 million overall. The Canada Post group's gross profit in 2014 was $269 million. In 2015, the corporation continued to remain profitable, posting a $136 million profit before tax.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

The 10AM news conference has been cancelled so we still no nothing at this time.

Here is the link

https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/08/25/postal-union-cancels-news-conference-as-strike-deadline-...

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

If they strike or are locked out, CP doesn't pay 50,000 CUPW staff anything.  They would still be paying mnanagent.  They take the big losses when we have weeks of threatening to strike so all the big volume users switch to other couriers, but CP is still paying the CUPW workers while volume plummets

Cp does not pay the goverenment a cent, hasn't in years and won't going forward.  The "profit", 1-2% margin on $8b revenue, doesnt exist. Every cent of it wouldn't stop the pension deficit from growing.   If Harper hand't given them a holiday from the pesnion payment until after 2017, they would have needed over $1b more this year, and every year going forward.    

The community mail boxes saving $500m~ a year, big real price increases every year like the 6% on stamps they had announced for this year, and replacing retirers with lower (but still very well) paid staff were going to get them out of the mess they are in.  Now Trudeau has messed the plan up.

The union knwos the numbers don't add up, that is why they are proposing the crazy "start a bank" idea.  To make the pension payment, every source of revenue CP has would have to be 15% higher then it is.  But of course if they do that volume falls, so the price increase would have to be more then that.  To meet the union demands to pay the rural union etc rates would have to go up even more beyond that .  On top of dealing with volume falling year after year

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

If it's gonna be a rotating strike I'll do nothing and keep my listings live, since I still think my mail can arrive to the buyer within 2-4 weeks. If it's gonna be a complete strike or a lockout (no mail movement) then I'll end all of my listings and wait till they are open again. Using chit-chat simply isn't feasible as it's too inconvenient and far from where I live. 

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

The 10AM news conference has been cancelled so we still no nothing at this time.

Here is the link

https://www.thestar.com/business/2016/08/25/postal-union-cancels-news-conference-as-strike-deadline-...

The federal government is urging Canada Post and its biggest union to work with a special mediator to hammer out a deal as the union's strike mandate is set to expire later Thursday.

Labour Minister MaryAnn Mihychuk says she proposed to both sides on Wednesday evening that Ottawa name a special mediator to help in the matter.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-post-union-cupw-strike-mandate-1.3735203

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

And we go round and round again.

CP can't afford to keep the pension as it is and the union refuses to agree to a change. I am curious what a mediator will accomplish.

Or will it be the same as the 30 days the Gov't suggested for serious negotiations?

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

This has gone stupid!

Message 20 of 24
latest reply