Imports Charges on Returns

It's me again.. the guy who sold a belt and got a return on it. Now, I got the belt in my Post Office but CSBA charges me 52$ of import charges. The buyer ships it as a ''Returned goods''. Do I really need to pay those import charges as I am not the importator. If I call CSBA to complaint it.. Will I be able to not have to pay those charges?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

"If I call CSBA to complaint it.. Will I be able to not have to pay those charges?"

Yes,

Or you may have to pay the charge and get a full refund when filing the form at the back of the Canada Customs invoice.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

It sounds like you haven't accepted the package yet. Is that right?

If not, you have to two options.

1)  You can refuse the package and it will go back to customs.

Then you will have to show/prove that it truly is a return but you should have no problem doing that because you have the eBay paperwork.

It takes them a long time to process that paperwork and some effort on your part but if you decide to go that route you will not have to pay any charges.

or

2)  If you accept the package you will have to pay the import fees.

Then, you can recover the fees but not the handling charges if you sent them the correct paperwork.

I'm not sure how much that is now as in increases now and then but I believe it's about $10.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

If it clearly says "returned goods" on the outside of the package then we would make canada post refund the handling charges as well since they should never have tried to broker a package that has no taxes due. Take pictures to prove this before accepting the package.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

.............. we would make canada post refund the handling charges .............

How would you "make" CPO refund the handling charges?  Smiley Happy

When filling out the paperwork for a refund there is no place/space to plug that charge in.

Perhaps one reason for that might be because the import fees are refunded by customs while the handling charge is charged by the CPO.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I'm curious, did you look on the label to see if the buyer really did pay $45 and if so, which USPS service did they use?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@maximus7001 wrote:

.............. we would make canada post refund the handling charges .............

How would you "make" CPO refund the handling charges?  Smiley Happy

When filling out the paperwork for a refund there is no place/space to plug that charge in.

Perhaps one reason for that might be because the import fees are refunded by customs while the handling charge is charged by the CPO.

I have always thought the same thing although according to the CBSA

• The $9.95 charged by Canada Post will be refunded if it is determined that the goods were duty free and tax exempt at the time of importation.

However, just below that...

Note: The $9.95 charged by Canada Post will not be refunded on EMS - Priority mail items, and the CBSA will not refund any broker's fees or shipping and handling costs.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dispute-contestation-eng.html

So I wonder how it works when the package is sent USPS first class international because CP always seems to upgrade those to  xpresspost which would be considered EMS. For the purposes of refunding the brokerage fee, would they count a first class package as first class or xpresspost?

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I think it would take a lot of effort to get that $10 refund.

Probably not worth the headache.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

It takes one or two minutes to fill out the form and send it in. At some point down the road you either get a refund or a denial.

Certainly a lot less time than listing something that will sell and bring in a $10 profit.

I did one of these years ago (pre-eBay), it took about 6 weeks to get my cheque but it still only took a minute to fill out the form..

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

It takes one or two minutes to fill out the form and send it in. At some point down the road you either get a refund or a denial.

Certainly a lot less time than listing something that will sell and bring in a $10 profit.

I did one of these years ago (pre-eBay), it took about 6 weeks to get my cheque but it still only took a minute to fill out the form..

I've also filled out the paperwork for the refund on taxes,  and you're right:  No big deal.

In my case that didn't include the handling fees from the PO and there was no place to peg that into the form.

Were you able to get handling fees?  

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

@recped wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

I've also filled out the paperwork for the refund on taxes,  and you're right:  No big deal.

In my case that didn't include the handling fees from the PO and there was no place to peg that into the form.

Were you able to get handling fees?  

Handling (brokerage) is not refundable as it is a service that has been rendered regardless of the return. Taxes/duty are what can be claimed back.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Himacdon - I am sorry to say that you have been misinformed.

As stated by others earlier, "The $9.95 charged by Canada Post will be refunded if it is determined that the goods were duty free and tax exempt at the time of importation.  "

That information comes directly from the Government of Canada:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/postal-postale/dispute-contestation-eng.html

It should also be noted, as mentioned earlier:

"The $9.95 charged by Canada Post will not be refunded on EMS - Priority mail items, and the CBSA will not refund any broker's fees or shipping and handling costs."

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

So I wonder how it works when the package is sent USPS first class international because CP always seems to upgrade those to  xpresspost which would be considered EMS. For the purposes of refunding the brokerage fee, would they count a first class package as first class or xpresspost?

I had some time this morning so I checked my paperwork related to customs/duty refunds.

PJ, I think you're right.

I recall that I wasn't able to recover handling fees in the past when I requested refunds,  but the the forms state that handling fees are not refundable when one is contesting the amount paid rather than if any duty was owing at all as in the case being addressed here (returned goods).

My mistake.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply