Interesting Article on high on line purchase return rates...

5 REPLIES 5

That is interesting, thank you for posting the link.  

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Great article.  Just looking at all those piles of returned goods. Wow. I don't buy much online so don't know about return policies of all these sites. If they offer free returns, and have for a while, it explains why eBay changed its policy to a "seller pays rtn shipping for an NAD case". To mimic these other sites.  

From the article, 

‘We just can’t ship and accept returns for free 24-7 all the time. It is not sustainable.’ ”

That's right.  Glad somebody said it out loud. 

"Some online shoppers order an item in different colours and sizes, knowing ahead that they will be returning all but one of them." 

Unbelievable.  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Clothing doesn't always fit the same so I don't  find it unbelievable at all that someone would order 2 different sizes of the same thing to see which ones fits......especially when the buyer is paying for shipping.  I would think that it's very common with larger retailers.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Clothing doesn't always fit the same so I don't  find it unbelievable at all that someone would order 2 different sizes of the same thing to see which ones fits......especially when the buyer is paying for shipping.

But that's not what the article said.  The point that I was commenting on was that buyers are NOT paying for shipping, just trying on multiples at the store's expense, 

"Some online shoppers order an item in different colours and sizes, knowing ahead that they will be returning all but one of them." 

and the retailer is stuck paying the return shipping for them all (or rather, future customers will be paying), 

‘We just can’t ship and accept returns for free 24-7 all the time. It is not sustainable.’ ”  

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I would think that it's very common with larger retailers.

It would appear so, I agree.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Very interesting article, thanks for posting it.  

What most caught my attention was the statement of the difference between returns to B&M stores (8% to 10%) and online (20% to 30%), and the authors' explanation for this: "There are many reasons online returns are higher; the most obvious is that it remains difficult to judge a product without seeing it in person."   

Then further on: "As the online shopping experience continues to improve thanks to technologies such as 3D and virtual reality, returns will decline, Brisebois believes."  

In other words, lack of technology is the big problem.  Technology may help, but I think the real problem lies elsewhere. 

Due to my current location, nowhere near any major B&M shopping facilities, I do a fair amount of buying online, everything from socks to (literally) the kitchen sink.  Anything that breaks down or wears out and has to be replaced.  I shop carefully, but one thing I've noticed is that even major retailers often do a poor, sometimes even shockingly bad, job of describing their goods.  

I find this is especially true of clothing, where detailed size charts (i.e. measurement charts) aren't always given, nor actual garment measurements.  Colours are often poorly described or badly photographed.  Even major retailers are guilty of minimal descriptions and limited photography.  

I find it frustrating peering at one photograph to try and determine what the actual length of a sleeve might be, or size around the neck or across the shoulders, or determine how much wearing ease there is.  With major online retailers I spend a lot of time searching for size information, or having to call or open a chat to ask more questions.  More often than not, the representatives don't know any more about their products than I do.  

Defects and flaws aside, I think retailers have to look at their own contribution to rising return rates.  It's easy to blame buyers or the lack of available technology for unwelcome returns.  Online selling has this inherent risk, and I think retailers should do more if they want to reduce that risk.  It isn't always the fault of the buyer that something doesn't fit or the colour doesn't appeal.  It's no wonder consumers have realized that the one way not to be entirely disappointed is to order 3 different sizes or colours and try them all on.  

The same applies to eBay sellers.  I've seen some pretty "bare bones" and sloppy descriptions on items in the clothing category here in particular.  It's easy to predict they'll be subject to returns.  I think there is an art to selling items online that takes knowing your product thoroughly, and being able and willing to take the time to accurately and fully describe it.  

Message 6 of 6
latest reply