Is Canada a third world country?

It is discouraging how many US sellers refuse to ship to Canada.

USPS is perfectly good at shipping to Canada. Is Ebay making it difficult for US sellers?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Not eBay.

They actually made it simpler -- and for the more xenophobic and paranoid Yanks-- safer to ship internationally by introducing the Global Shipping Program.

Yeah. That went well.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Some U.S. sellers seem to be paranoid about selling outside of their own country and that it is too 'risky'.Some feel that they have a large enough customer base within the U.S.so they would rather not deal with international buyers. It's pretty basic to ship outside of the country but not everyone seems to think so.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Another reason might be that too many Canadians are causing extra work/frustrations, generally around requests to avoid paying the relevant taxes:

-asking the US seller to declare the item as a gift

-asking the US seller to under-declare the value

-asking the US seller not to use the GSP

In days gone by I've actually seen sellers putting text in their listing details identifying that they will not do this.....

As we see with frustrations around lost/problem packages to our international countries like Russia, China, Latin America etc that gets countries blocked, all it takes is a few problem Canadian buyers for a US seller and they'll not ship to anyone else out of frustration.....

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

@upincanada wrote:

It is discouraging how many US sellers refuse to ship to Canada.

upincanada:  It's true.  The number of sellers who refuse to ship to Canada seems to be growing;  not declining as one might expect. 

(I consider that a seller who uses the GSP as being one who refuses to ship to Canada.)

A related comment/question considering the challenges for Canadians buying from the U.S. is: Why don't more Canadian buyers buy from Canadian sellers?

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

More choices outside of Canada

Cheaper shipping outside of Canada which is a big one.

I have a US address as well as a Canadian one, which I am sure a lot of Canadians have as well, and if I buy in the US I get free or reasonable shipping most of the time. Free shipping in Canada for all but very light and small items has a huge cost built into the price to cover the ridiculous CP costs

A great deal of new items are much cheaper in the US than Canada and if you take the cost of shipping, it gets even more pronounced.

I pay with US dollars so no exchange. If I had to pay with Can $ which Ebay will eventual force us to do, I will buy very little on Ebay any more due to our low dollar and exchange rate on top of it. I am getting tired of Ebay and Paypal supposedly fixing things that work to line their pockets at sellers expense, and refusing to fix the things that don't work.

There are many other places to buy things where everything is not micromanaged including currency and ridiculous defects for nothing.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

If I had to pay with Can $ which Ebay will eventual force us to do,

Where do you get that nonsense statement from?

eBay may eventually force us to sell in Canadian $ on ebay.ca

but you can still list on ebay.com in US $

eBay is not going to change the way payments are made -- you pay in the currency of the listing.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Another reason might be that too many Canadians are causing extra work/frustrations, generally around requests to avoid paying the relevant taxes:

In days gone by I've actually seen sellers putting text in their listing details identifying that they will not do this.....

I agree that asking sellers to declare an item as a gift or under declare the value really does turn off a lot of U.S. sellers

As we see with frustrations around lost/problem packages to our international countries like Russia, China, Latin America etc that gets countries blocked, all it takes is a few problem Canadian buyers for a US seller and they'll not ship to anyone else out of frustration.....

I've seen so many posts by U.S. sellers who have been selling internationally for a while..have one problem and stop selling internationally altogether.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me but it does happen.

The new policy that  'seller pays return shipping' for a snad has turned off some sellers from shipping internationally as well. They are worried that they will either have to pay a fortune to have an item sent back or they will have to refund without getting the item back.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

If I have to sell in C$ on .ca and buy some thing from the US in US $. I have to pay a conversion fee to change C$ to US $ to pay for that item.

That is where I get the statement from.

Please read everything in the post before you make those types of statements.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Why don't more Canadian buyers buy from Canadian sellers?

because there's nobody in Canada selling anything!! 

Very, very, very few interesting items come up when you limit your search to "originating in Canada"

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@upincanada wrote:

Why don't more Canadian buyers buy from Canadian sellers?

because there's nobody in Canada selling anything!! 

Very, very, very few interesting items come up when you limit your search to "originating in Canada"

I've grappled for years with the question of why more Canadians don't buy from their fellow sellers.  Despite a number of promotional efforts I've never been able to raise the Canadian buyer percentage above about 5%.  

I think I sell interesting (and unique) items.  My U.S. and international buyers seem to think so too.  However, there is always going to be more of everything on offer from U.S. buyers, so it's a more attractive marketplace for Canadians to shop.  

It could be something as simple as most Canadian buyers going to .com to buy and not seeing a filter to select for "Canada only" in search results.  In the much more vast U.S. marketplace, many Canadian sellers basically disappear in the crowd. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

"It could be something as simple as most Canadian buyers going to .com to buy and not seeing a filter to select for "Canada only" in search results."

I don't think that the majority of buyers are so naive about online shopping that they cannot navigate sites. You give your buyers credit for being good readers and for being able to follow instructions, why not give them credit for figuring out how they wish to shop?

Anyway, since the Canadian population is 10% of the US population, and we still lag behind the USA in the percentage of shopping done online, don't you think your 5% Canadian buyers is quite in line with what is to be expected?

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

without a functioning cart able to sell to all buyers we are at the mercy of a site which costs a premium to use but delivers a sad sack hobo experience, only savvy sellers who are used to navigating the glitches can survive.

otherwise the sellers keep getting cycled off the site and the pool to replace them(and the buying activity they represent) continues to get smaller and smaller

when the cart disconnect was put into official play(don't kid yourselves thinking it was a glitch, it was by design, otherwise it would be fixed by now or a fix would be scheduled) our sales from 30,000 listings plummeted to about a third of our typical sales

this is the experience of a user with a decade of steady growth and a good rep on ebay, how does anybody else make a living here, not sure, but it seems like the site is slowly decaying, and desperate moves aside, I believe It is not going to survive the next few years, sad to say but it is the way the cookie is crumbling here lately

I feel terrible for rose-dee, it seems like she is one of the only sane people who understand how ebay Canada killed off its last remaining viable sellers, they stopped us from growing and selling more than one item at a time with the cart disconnect
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

When they brought in the U.S. cart and your sales dropped, were you listing on .ca and then switched to .com? With your

amount of listings it would be a huge undertaking to switch sites.

Something that confuses me...many of your listings mention that if there are cart problems to go to the .ca site but those

listings are all on .com. Are you having problems with the .com cart?

I'm sure that most or all of us realize that the .com cart is a problem for .ca sellers but different sellers deal with problems in their own way.  I've never thought that the problem was just  a 'glitch' although I don't think there is a conspiracy to get rid of Canadian sellers either.  I'm not sure if that's what you meant or not.

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

yes, we were in effect forced to switch to .com or kill the majority of listings on ebay due to high fees and all single item sales since the multi item sales stopped once the cart was introduced, it took over 400 hours and some creative solutions to make it happen, and it solved the problem of disappearing American multiple sales almost overnight

it also took over a year for somebody to figure out(or to admit, not sure which) that there was a problem with Canadian sellers and the cart disconnect, we lost tens of thousands of dollars in sales year to year, so this is an actual quantitative look at the disruptive effect that ebays direction took it with the amateur cart that only works under certain conditions.

just to repeat, we lost tens of thousands of dollars year to year with the same inventory, so to say that the cart disconnect had nothing to do with the downturn was a bit of an exaggeration from management, as that was the only major glitch that seemed to affect us in a financial manner, we have the same amount of listings as we did last year as well

I do not believe there is a consipiracy to get away with Canadian sellers, however, the empirical evidence suggests that they are scrambling to make things work again, but have no idea how to do it, so are just making things worse with each fix, it is almost comical if it didn't affect our livelihood so dramatically

listing on .ca will become even less relevant as they force the savy sellers to list on .com, there really is no choice if you want to survive selling in most category's here but to list on .com, but that is only our experience in selling collectibles on the old ebay, which used to be a collectibles marketplace, now ebay is a poor mans amazon, and really, who wants poor buyers?

ebay told us in the early days to put a note on our listings to teach buyers how to purchase multiple items by going to the .com site, once we added the note to the 30,000 listings we had(it took about 60 hours of effort to do that) than we were told it would just be better to list on the .com site. as most people do not read the notes.  really? they seem to be very cavalier with our time and business, and it seems like they are more clueless than you can ever imagine, as the advice changes day to day, week to week, month to month, too difficult to keep up with any longer....we were certainly not going to go and change all those messages...again since ebay changed their recommendations...again

we decided to not jump through a single ebay hoop ever again, they were just too much of a drunk bumbling fool as a business partner, even when they said use UPC codes to help sales, ha, we did a test, 50 auctions with UPC and 50 without, all the same items, the non UPC codes were outpacing the UPC codes almost two to one, lol, so I almost think you have to George castanze the ebay recommendations, whatever they tell you, kind of do the opposite, or ignore their advice, and than you will have the best chance to succeed if you sell volume, otherwise, listen to their advice at your peril, it just is consistently always wrong I find, pretty sad to say, and I am not sure how they have survived this long like this to be honest.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

Its real simple - Customs. 

Customs can be any number, and the buyer may cause problems over it. 

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I agree that asking sellers to declare an item as a gift or under declare the value really does turn off a lot of U.S. sellers

I've seen so many posts by U.S. sellers who have been selling internationally for a while..have one problem and stop selling internationally altogether.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to me but it does happen.

The new policy that  'seller pays return shipping' for a snad has turned off some sellers from shipping internationally as well. They are worried that they will either have to pay a fortune to have an item sent back or they will have to refund without getting the item back.

You oughtta understand if the buyer declares it is a gift, you are legally not liable for marking it as a gift, you know that right?

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@canadianstore2015 wrote:

Its real simple - Customs. 

Customs can be any number, and the buyer may cause problems over it. 

Ya well whose fault is that. We can send $200 south and no problem for the buyer. they send anything over $20 North and we not only pay taxes, possibly duty but we also pay handling fees for the honor of paying the taxes. Complete Bravo Sierra!

So yes, Canadian buyers may well gripe and try to find ways around the border tariffs but if we weren't being unfairly taxed it wouldn't be an issue. So unfortunately, the US sellers aredealing with the fallout of the Canadian govt's unfair taxation policies.

Free Trade, doesn't exist. As a seller who sources most of his higher end items from the USA I know full well the perils of items crossing the border and because of those perils I either have to buy things at prices so low that I rarely get an opportunity to buy anymore lest the product end up costing me more than I can sell it for by the time you add on shipping and the cross border fees. The US Postal service raised their prices when they declared Canada an "International" destination and that has only worsend things. Where the heck are our govt people and why are they not working to prevent things like that. International my a$$, we are land connected sharing one of thelargest borders in the world.

The picture should be abundantly clear. Most of the problems in this issue have been directly or indirectly caused by our own govt!

thD

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

"We can send $200 south and no problem for the buyer. they send anything over $20 North and we not only pay taxes, possibly duty but we also pay handling fees for the honor of paying the taxes"

Yes, we pay more consumption taxes in Canada.

In Canada, if you are pregnant, go to the hospital to have a baby, leave two days later and they wish you good luck.

In Canada, if you have a severe gall bladder attack, go to the hospital, small surgery, you leave the next day and they wish you speedy recovery.

In the USA, in both circumstances, you may need to max your credit cards or mortgage you house (if you have one).

So yes we Canadians pay more consumption taxes.

And life does go on. Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I remember a time when I did not have a UPS box in USA for my deliveries.  Several sellers explained why they did not want to ship to Canada.  

One reason was that they used to get all their parcels picked up by the post office.  However, international mail had to be taken to the post office where they had to sign the Customs Declaration and they found that a waste of their time.

Another reason was "they just didn't want to bother with filling out the Customs Declaration."

Several sellers have NEVER sent anything out of the country and did not know how.  One lady really took the cake when she asked me if we even had postal delivery.  I assured her that we did as our dog sleds ran all year round.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply