Is it alright to put an internet link on a listing?

I recently purchased what I thought was a very old crochet hook, and then after research I found it was a rug hook. It's made of steel with a horn handle. In all the Internet there is only one link, a book which has the exact hook mine (no handle showing)  and it appears it could be from the late 1700's to mid 1800's.

I know that old doesn't necessarily mean valuable, but it seems to be rare, and there is not one on the Internet for sale.

The link I found is a page from a book, so I would like to put it in the listing if possible.

I have no idea what price to start it at.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you can access it online, you could try taking a screenshot (CTRL + "Prt Sc" button), although that might not capture the whole image, depending on the size of your computer screen.  Or re-set the zoom view on your browser until you get the whole image on the screen. 

What I usually do is paste screenshots into Word, then crop and re-size as needed, and then right-click "Save as Picture" to save as a .jpeg image. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I think this would fall under eBay's "allowable" links as being further product information that can't be included in the listing itself: 

"Allowed:  

Links to sites and content that provide additional details about the item for sale, including:

• Images

• Technical specifications

Other product details"

I think the key thing is that it should not be a link to a site that offers anything for sale.  You might want to read through the whole policy and decide for yourself whether there's a risk: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/listing-links.html

The alternative would be to copy a page or two from the book with the photograph of the object and upload it into your eBay listing (provided you give the proper credit for the link - title, author, etc.).  Then people can look it up for themselves. 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thanks Rose-dee, I tried to copy the page, but it won't copy. It is an article copied from a book about antique rug hooks, I might try my local library and see if there is a chance of borrowing a copy of the book. The book on the Internet is not being offered for sale.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If you can access it online, you could try taking a screenshot (CTRL + "Prt Sc" button), although that might not capture the whole image, depending on the size of your computer screen.  Or re-set the zoom view on your browser until you get the whole image on the screen. 

What I usually do is paste screenshots into Word, then crop and re-size as needed, and then right-click "Save as Picture" to save as a .jpeg image. 

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thanks, I got the text up, now I have to try and get the little picture at the side, it was not in a book but in a rug hooking magazine I found.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply